CBB

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
Has anyone see a more useless player in a Cheltenham shirt? at fault for 2 of the goals tonight complete liability. Its almost embarrassing to watch. He can't tackle has no positional sense or technical ability. If we could pay up honest players like Jones and Bennett why can't we for him. I wouldn't even have him ahead of Bowen at the moment. He should of gone at the end of last year if Black picks up an injury we could be in trouble.
51/84
To be fair to CBB he didnt what role he was supposed to be playing LB/LM or Lwingback not that it really mattered all the mistakes from last season were there again last night. He can take a good throw and has a bit of pace but his crossing is very non league

Other than that I agree entirely Ben
The main problem is he cannot read the game so his starting position is poor and the rest goes from their
Hopefully Black will have fully recovered and makes LB his

However I expect to be told that its not CBB fault and he should be a LM and not to be too hard on him
Joey
I've defended CBB in the past but he looked poor last night and he didn't contribute enough going forward.
Robin
I have been saying for a while he needs to be paid off, sadly the club seem more concerned about saving money. For once either get him out on loan or just pay him up.
Nesty
Or get rid of the **** that signed him and gave him a new deal even though he is useless
Last edited by Nesty on 30 Jul 2014, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
Pay him up with what Robin?
I-Love-CTFC
We should have went for Joe Jacobson, a proven player with plenty of FL experience. Surely we could have competed with Wycombe in terms of wages.
Benctfc
Should have gone after the not trying saga not good enough and has a bad attitude. But he's one of Yates favourites so chance of him going.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Pay him up with what Robin?

I am sure there is enough cash to pay him up Horlick.
Benctfc
Robin wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Pay him up with what Robin?

I am sure there is enough cash to pay him up Horlick.
Did Paul Godfey not explain that by paying a player up we are actually saving money. Which is why we did it with Bennett and Jones.
horlickfanclub
No logic to that.If there was we could pay off everyone and have more money than we started with.Bonkers! It costs money to pay a player who does not play. There may be a small saving on nhi and tax if players leave at a certain time.
Robin
But why keep paying a player who is clearly not good enough and admitted to not even trying last season?
thebow
Any stick that cbb will undoubtedly get in the coming weeks is entirely justified. He just aint up to it.
tunnelvision
He needs to go now, as does Taylor. On last nights showing they're both liabilities.
Robin
I fully agree both have been costly mistakes, they have been given plenty of chances and deserve to be paid off so we can bring in better players.
Reliant Robin
The whipping boys for the 2014/15 season appear to have been chosen. I hope that doesn't bring the Boo Boys out again - disgraceful when that happens.

Players need the fans on their side to improve performance. If any Player comes in for stick during a game it affects the whole Team.
Benctfc
Reliant Robin wrote:The whipping boys for the 2014/15 season appear to have been chosen. I hope that doesn't bring the Boo Boys out again - disgraceful when that happens.

Players need the fans on their side to improve performance. If any Player comes in for stick during a game it affects the whole Team.
Come on RR you can't defend him. He is one of the worst players to play for us since we entered the football league. All the criticism he's received has been fair and justified. He's lucky to still be at the club any decent manager would have released him at the end of last year and he got away lightly with the not trying story.
asl
The problem is, as I've mentioned before, the second you point out that someone had a bad game people leap on it and start saying "oh, so there's the boo-boy and scapegoat for this season why don't you just support the team." I said it would happen before the season started, too.
Reliant Robin
If you look at my posting again you will see that I have not defended anyone - I am merely making the point that once some fans get on a player or players backs it has a very corrosive effect on the game because it affects the whole team. It also destroys the match day experience for new fans, most of whom are shocked when they hear our players being ripped up by their own crowd.
Robin
Reliant Robin wrote:If you look at my posting again you will see that I have not defended anyone - I am merely making the point that once some fans get on a player or players backs it has a very corrosive effect on the game because it affects the whole team. It also destroys the match day experience for new fans, most of whom are shocked when they hear our players being ripped up by their own crowd.

Sorry Reliant have these fans ever attended a football match, Whaddon Road is extremely tame and not somewhere the fans get on players backs very often certainly in comparison with other clubs :?
asl
Reliant Robin wrote:If you look at my posting again you will see that I have not defended anyone - I am merely making the point that once some fans get on a player or players backs it has a very corrosive effect on the game because it affects the whole team. It also destroys the match day experience for new fans, most of whom are shocked when they hear our players being ripped up by their own crowd.
Yep, I've looked at your posting again. It says:
Reliant Robin wrote:The whipping boys for the 2014/15 season appear to have been chosen.
51/84
RR if the new visitors have never watched football before they deserve better because theres better out there
If they have watched football at any level they will quickly spot he is the weakest link in the team

I have played with those that have no or little skill but the tried but thety were not trying to be professional footballers

Last night showed that he has failed to take on board the advice and coaching he got last season for whatever reason
I think back to Scottys comments about wanting to and learning each day and game

Some people will see that CBB should be played because hes getting paid and therefore should play

If you take your car to the garage and you take it back you dont expect the manager to say yea fine its mechanic x hes rubbish but we let him work on your car

Wake up and smell the coffee
If MY cant see it M Taylor and Elliot and North can see it
CTFC03
Any player admitting to not trying should have their contract torn up. CBB is the WORST defender I have ever seen in a CTFC shirt and teams will target this man as he has no positional sense, yes he's very quick but if you're consistently not in the right place you will get punished.

WHERE ART THOU BILLY JONES.
Benctfc
asl wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:The whipping boys for the 2014/15 season appear to have been chosen.
Thank you asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Once again a lack of grey as the white camp and black camp take their stances and don the blinkers.

My view on it is quite simple:

1. Is CBB up to the task? On current evidence, no.
2. Would I support measures to replace with better? Yes.
3. Do I think booing and abusing players at matches is bad for the team and atmosphere? Yes.
4. Would I support booing and abusing of CBB at matches? No.
5. Does this mean I think CBB is a good player? No - see points 1 and 2.
6. Am I mentally capable of simultaneously not rating a player and showing support for the good of the team? Yes.
Benctfc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Once again a lack of grey as the white camp and black camp take their stances and don the blinkers.

My view on it is quite simple:

1. Is CBB up to the task? On current evidence, no.
2. Would I support measures to replace with better? Yes.
3. Do I think booing and abusing players at matches is bad for the team and atmosphere? Yes.
4. Would I support booing and abusing of CBB at matches? No.
5. Does this mean I think CBB is a good player? No - see points 1 and 2.
6. Am I mentally capable of simultaneously not rating a player and showing support for the good of the team? Yes.
I agree RCS. Not at any match ever have I abused or booed a player because as you say it can have a negative effect on the team. However I feel I am entitled like I have to give an opinion on the player If I think he's not good enough just annoys me when fans say he's a scapegoat or gets singled out. The reason he receives more criticism than others is simply because he's a poor player.
Daveangel
CTFC03 wrote:Any player admitting to not trying should have their contract torn up. CBB is the WORST defender I have ever seen in a CTFC shirt and teams will target this man as he has no positional sense, yes he's very quick but if you're consistently not in the right place you will get punished.

WHERE ART THOU BILLY JONES.
Hands off, you had your chance. His wand of a left foot will be assisting the goals that keep us at our current lofty park level ;)
CS85
I haven't heard any negative chanting or shouting at cbb during a match. Just the usual terrace grown.
At the majority of clubs a player like cbb would be slaughtered for admitting to not trying,the fans would not accept it.
He's had an easy ride here,I actually feel sorry for the bloke,he's not up to this standard of football yet our management team don't see it.
Reliant Robin
@Benctfc & @asl @51/84

I stated a view that the whipping boys (note the plural) appear to have been chosen, that does not constitute defending anyone. You
don't have any idea of my current view of any of the players, but some posters on this Forum predictably seem intent on castigating two players for the team losing in a pre season friendly. I reiterate my point that I hope this does not herald another season of booing individual players from the Terrace. I see nothing wrong in a team coming in for stick for a poor performance but to lambast individual players is plain wrong - they win as a team, they lose as a team. And I'm afraid you can't always guarantee the quality of any mechanic that works on your car either ;)
51/84
RR without rereading the whole thread I did not mention any other player, ithers may have done
I also gave CBB an excuse that he didnt know what position he was playing
Yates says they spent a half day on the tactics - some players will take longer to grasp it

It is not CBBs fault he gets picked - how much he tries in training and on the pitch for a match is up to people to judge
He has not been slaughtered as he would at most clubs
CheltRobin
I fully expect Black to take the LB role away from CBB within the 1st 12 or so matches - problems lie ahead if not. Taylor and Richards in CM - Hmmm, loads of pace and dynamic play to the front players to be seen then!

As for Chelts scoring - how many goals have we scored from open play in the firendlies? Is it just 1?

C'mon Striker - WE NEED YOU!
confused.com
asl wrote:
And where in that sentence is there an atempt to defend CBB ? it is a statement that RR belives that a certain player has been identified as a 'whipping boy'. The quote you highlight neither aligns RR with defending or supporting. You really do look for words that are not there, more often than not
asl
Where do I say anyone defended CBB.........? My point was that, yet again, certain people leap on any criticism of any of our players at any time and say we're not supportive, not constructive, "he's only x years old", "you've got it in for him", "he's this season's scapegoat", etc, etc. It's as if we're not allowed to post our opinions on such matters. I usually give ratings out of 10 and have suffered this when marking players down. Do it two matches running and I seem to become part of the problem. Yet I like to think that I give credit when it's due so reserve the right to say when I think a player has had a substandard performance. "The whipping boys for the 2014/15 season appear to have been chosen" says to me we're not to be critical of any of our players. Sorry, but: tough.
Sprout Picker
CBB looks a poor player to me. Not singling him out and nothing personal against him, he just looks very ordinary. Poor passer, regularly caught out of position and always looks suspect defensively with weak clearances. His throw-in is reasonable.

I will be very surprised if Black isn't our first-choice left-back as things stand.
51/84
totally agree SP