Credit where credits due

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Firstly I would probably have made CBB MOM but Jason was like a new player as well

The formation suits CBB and several crosses were excellent
Pressure from another LB will be helping as well but so far so good

When will M Taylor score ?

Keep it going
Nesty
CBB was immense - Vaughan was (again) totally unimpressive and gave the ball away countless times. I just wonder what Sido would be like in that wing back role. Carson was sound behind a back three that grows in confidence week on week. Midfield lads all put in a shift. Byron frustrates the sh*t out of me, Gornell just needs a goal.
Koby - what a supersub!!, another good little cameo by Omari

thoughts - what future for Haworth?
Circa 1887
Not vintage - but another hard working and disciplined home display. Very well done and deserved result, love a late winner!
Malabus
CCB looked a totally different player. Worthy of his MOTM.
Uppy
I thought Byron was good. He was bringing the ball down well and holding it up nicely, although he didn't really look a goal threat. I was very impressed with Marquis.
asl
Not always pretty - but we did just about deserve the win. Great start!

Carson - 6: nothing to do, can't mark him higher.

Brown - 8: immense. Won just about everything.
M Taylor - 7: not as busy as his partners, but didn't put a foot wrong.
Elliott - 7: as rock-like as ever.

Vaughan - 3: sorry, but he just didn't do it for me. Didn't look happy being subbed and Yates had a word in his shell-like at the end.
Winter - 7: quietly went about his business and even filled in at RB when we seemed to go to four at the back for a while.
Richards - 8: great game, IMHO. Broke up the play, put in some good balls and generally put in a really good shift.
J Taylor - 5: quiet - didn't see an awful lot from him.
Braham-Barrett - 8: can't argue about MotM, I'd have said it was between him and Richards. Got up well and fizzed some great crosses over in the first half. Even when defending, he did okay. Like having a new player!

Gornell - 4: I like Terry, but it just wasn't working for him in that game.
Harrison - 5: strolls around quite lazily at times, but very few players are as good at protecting the ball as he is.

Sterling-James - 5: didn't make much of an impact, but gave a few new options.
Marquis - 6: made an immediate impact and ruffled up the tiring defence. Unlucky not to score.
Arthur - 6: only little and I doubt he'll score many with his head jumping against your average centre back - but we'll take that one!
DingDing
asl wrote:Not always pretty - but we did just about deserve the win. Great start!

Carson - 6: nothing to do, can't mark him higher.

Brown - 8: immense. Won just about everything.
M Taylor - 7: not as busy as his partners, but didn't put a foot wrong.
Elliott - 7: as rock-like as ever.

Vaughan - 3: sorry, but he just didn't do it for me. Didn't look happy being subbed and Yates had a word in his shell-like at the end.
Winter - 7: quietly went about his business and even filled in at RB when we seemed to go to four at the back for a while.
Richards - 8: great game, IMHO. Broke up the play, put in some good balls and generally put in a really good shift.
J Taylor - 5: quiet - didn't see an awful lot from him.
Braham-Barrett - 8: can't argue about MotM, I'd have said it was between him and Richards. Got up well and fizzed some great crosses over in the first half. Even when defending, he did okay. Like having a new player!

Gornell - 4: I like Terry, but it just wasn't working for him in that game.
Harrison - 5: strolls around quite lazily at times, but very few players are as good at protecting the ball as he is.

Sterling-James - 5: didn't make much of an impact, but gave a few new options.
Marquis - 6: made an immediate impact and ruffled up the tiring defence. Unlucky not to score.
Arthur - 6: only little and I doubt he'll score many with his head jumping against your average centre back - but we'll take that one!
It's funny how everyone sees games differently, how you can mark someone as low as a 3 in that performance baffles me - Vaughan wasn't below average I'd say and would at least score a 5 or maybe a 6 in my book.

Wynter looked like the game passed him by in the first half, a bit more involved in the second half - I'd have probably given him a 6.

Gornell worked very hard and had no problems against their defenders, again how he can be marked below average surprises me...

Jason Taylor - I thought he had a pretty good game, broke up a lot of play and would probably have marked him a 7 on your scale if Richards was worthy of an 8!
joes dad
"but we did just about deserve the win."

Sorry asl,but we dominated start to finish.

The most one sided game seen at CTFC for along time is what Radio Glos reporter said.
51/84
cant agree completely Daddy but we did just edge the 1st half and then stepped it up in the second

Vaughan when he got forward and lost the ball struggled to get back

I didnt think anyone had a poor or bad game therefore a 5
I also thought the game passed Jordan in the 1st half but he improved as the game improved and JT faded a little or perhaps the style changed so JT had less to do
asl
I don't think either team 'dominated' the first half! But yes, we were far and away the better team in the second. Hartlepool never looked like scoring - but I've seen many more one-sided games than that, I feel. You may think I'm harsh on Vaughan, but I genuinely cannot think of anything useful he did. Gave the ball away A LOT, too.
Benctfc
Must admit I have been slightly dissapointed by Vaughan but it is his first season in the FL so lets give him a chance to find his feet. Once again we looked solid at the back can't remember Trev having to make a save! Byron held the ball up well and the midfield were all decent and worked hard. Gornell just looks a player who is short of confidence at the moment and doesn't look like scoring he needs to be replaced by Marquis who was excellent when he came on. It's great to see a hard working team back at WR who the supporters can really get behind and support.
CS85
Well cbb is being helped greatly by the formation. Maybe Vaughan is struggling abit with it? Just a guess but he may have been playing in a flat back four all season with kiddy? He's doing ok.
Uppy
Vaughan has the energy and enthusiasm, but looks poor on the ball. I'm willing to give him more time because it IS a step up, though.
Si Robin
It's also a new position for Vaughan. He is a right-back being converted to wing-back. A role that CBB seems to be tailor made for.

No arguments with man of the match, CBB is like a whole new player, and credit to him. He could have gone into his shell after "non-trying-gate" but he has been brilliant this season.

I personally gave Terry Gornell a standing ovation when he was subbed. He did absolutely everything but score today. He really needs one to just go in off his ass.
tunnelvision
Si Robin wrote:I personally gave Terry Gornell a standing ovation when he was subbed. He did absolutely everything but score today. He really needs one to just go in off his ass.
I thought it was his best performance to date (in the home games). Sure the goals will come, if he gets to play regularly. However, I think his position is now under serious threat from Marquis & Arthur.
Nesty
tunnelvision wrote:
Si Robin wrote:I personally gave Terry Gornell a standing ovation when he was subbed. He did absolutely everything but score today. He really needs one to just go in off his ass.
I thought it was his best performance to date (in the home games). Sure the goals will come, if he gets to play regularly. However, I think his position is now under serious threat from Marquis & Arthur.
I agree 100%
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We have seen how CBB struggled last season and now gets rave reviews so let's give Vaughan time too.
CS85
Nothing against Vaughan at all but I can't help but think sido would have been class in the wing back role.
asl
Sorry - I gave my rating based on that one game. If I think he plays a blinder in the next game, I believe my rating will reflect that. In no way am I 'writing him off' any more than considering CBB to be our best player, now.
ghandi
I'll always credit yatesy for putting together a promising group of players.The keeper & defenders are top draw,can't see us shipping give away goals this season.The midfield & forwards needs a bit of work,if we can get a more creative player to replace jason taylor & get the right combo up front we could well be promotion candidates.We're not that pretty to watch at the moment but were solid at the back,which is a good platform to work from.If yatesy keeps his sensible head on,and does'nt make any rash decision,this could well be a season to remember.
CTFC03
Jason Taylor does not need replacing, he's been one of our standouts this season.
ghandi
I'll admit he had a good 1st half yesterday,but faded badly in the 2nd half.He's very limited in what he does,i just think we must have someone with more ability that would do a better job.We need more creation & spark from midfield,would jason be playing if asa hall was fit?
Eleanor
I wonder if Wynter might go to right wing back if still here when Hall is fit.
51/84
I was A Jason Taylor critic but he has earned his place in the team. I said somewhere else he faded second half but the game and tactics changed perhaps they didnt suit his style as much
Shade
I'm glad I said I'd give Matt Richards a clean slate before the season started too, actually looks like the player we expected last season so far.
CheltRobin
Agree with posts. CBB, Richards and Taylor look far improved this season - formation, a kick up the a**e, or a bit of both?

Gornell trying so hard to score at the mo and working hard every match. Just needs 1 to hit him anywhere and fly in. Might be hard for him thou to keep his place by the start Marquis has started. Tough call for Morecombe. I would probably (just) give Gornell 1 more match to see if he can break his scoring drought.