More season ticket holders than some conf clubs have fans

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Little old Cheltenham eh ;) :D :D :D :D

Hard not to see us being one of the best supported sides (certainly top five) based on these stats from last season.
http://european-football-statistics.co. ... eengnl.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Makes the amount of noise we make at home and the number of fans we take away seem even more ridiculous, doesn't it...?
Robin
Having seen plenty of conference games before I would be amazed if our home atmosphere is not considered loud compared to the vast majority of clubs. Not that I actually think it's loud or even much better than library at times...
CS85
Id say we will be about 6th in that table,just swapping rovers from top and putting tranmere there.
Saying that it doesn't mean bugger all if we don't recruit right during the summer.
Benctfc
I would hope we could average about 2,000 which going by that would be decent. What I don't get is why if we don't go up this season there's all this doom and gloom. Surely if we are around top 5 in the division for attendances we should be able to have a decent budget compared to other sides. Obviously you have the likes rich owners at clubs like Eastleigh and Forest Green but on attendances we should have at least a top 10 budget surely?
51/84
The gloom and depondency is the talk about part time football as no one will back the club financially
We need to have the Hazelwood as a home end
Not too difficult as the away fans can get the away section of the I2P

the club always looks for problems but we really need to make things happen
Robin
We are going to have at least 850 season ticket holders, more likely higher. It's hard to imagine we would not be averaging at least 2000 next season based upon those figures alone. I'm starting to think we will start the season with gates around 2400 but will clearly go up if we are going for promotion or may drop to around 2000 if we are struggling in mid-table. The thing I am enjoying is for the first time in ages most people I speak to believe we will have a good season and although it will be tough to bounce straight back we are very likely to give it a damn good go.

As for our budget I understand it's heavilly propped up by the £300k parachute payment and is most likely one of the larger ones in the league (I'd guess behind Tranmere, Eastleigh, FGR, Grimsby maybe Wrexham but that is pure speculation). If we fail to go up at the first attempt I am told jobs are on the line and the youth system is under threat.
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:Little old Cheltenham eh ;) :D :D :D :D

Hard not to see us being one of the best supported sides (certainly top five) based on these stats from last season.
http://european-football-statistics.co. ... eengnl.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure it's that great a feat in the Conference.

Hopefully this is the extent of our descent and we can move upward again.
Robin
Exactly sprout I was poking fun at some who tried to play the little old Cheltenham card.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am in your camp this season Robin. I think when we visit some of the pub grounds in the lower echelons of the division we will see how far we have come and why it's vital we get back to the elite ranks we are accustomed too.

What's it like to see a crowd?

You're only here to see the town!

We're all going on a Vanarama tour!
asl
Perhaps we should get relegated a couple more times? We'd be fookin' GINORMOUS down there which would undoubtedly please some people - and think of the local derbies we could have against Swindon Supermarine, Bishop's Cleeve and Highworth Town.

It's a frankly ridiculous argument. Who bloody cares whether we're 'the biggest' club in the Conference? We are where we are because we totally deserve to be after two or more years of mismanagement. Relative size, by whatever scale, is pretty much irrelevant. FGR were last season's money-bags? Didn't get them promoted, did it. Rovers had the most and noisiest fans? They needed the play-offs to go up. Rushden and Diamonds back in our time were 'the biggest' yet beaten to the FL by us and then Kiddy (I think.)

It means very little. Yes, we can pay bigger wages and transfer fees and arguably get first dibs on players - but it counts for NOTHING unless we get the right blend and get the best out of them. Until we have more than 11 players on the books, I'll reserve judgement about whether or not we're going to go the season unbeaten. I can't wait for tales about how our 2000 fans out-sang the 50 from Braintree, or wherever - or we would have, if the roof of the PRE hadn't trapped the deafening noise we generated that day.

(Bit early for me to be up and about on a Saturday, sorry...)
leohoenig
http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

28 Clubs outside the football league had average crowds over 1000
Robin
asl wrote:Perhaps we should get relegated a couple more times? We'd be fookin' GINORMOUS down there which would undoubtedly please some people - and think of the local derbies we could have against Swindon Supermarine, Bishop's Cleeve and Highworth Town.

It's a frankly ridiculous argument. Who bloody cares whether we're 'the biggest' club in the Conference? We are where we are because we totally deserve to be after two or more years of mismanagement. Relative size, by whatever scale, is pretty much irrelevant. FGR were last season's money-bags? Didn't get them promoted, did it. Rovers had the most and noisiest fans? They needed the play-offs to go up. Rushden and Diamonds back in our time were 'the biggest' yet beaten to the FL by us and then Kiddy (I think.)

It means very little. Yes, we can pay bigger wages and transfer fees and arguably get first dibs on players - but it counts for NOTHING unless we get the right blend and get the best out of them. Until we have more than 11 players on the books, I'll reserve judgement about whether or not we're going to go the season unbeaten. I can't wait for tales about how our 2000 fans out-sang the 50 from Braintree, or wherever - or we would have, if the roof of the PRE hadn't trapped the deafening noise we generated that day.

(Bit early for me to be up and about on a Saturday, sorry...)
I actually agree with you but the point of my post is that we are not little Cheltenham anymore so the constant belittling of our club needs to stop.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reputation will be worth 10 or more points to us this season - some teams will be beaten before they even take to the WR turf.
joes dad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Reputation will be worth 10 or more points to us this season - some teams will be beaten before they even take to the WR turf.
Or..... It could be their "cup final"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
joes dad wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Reputation will be worth 10 or more points to us this season - some teams will be beaten before they even take to the WR turf.
"3-0 in your cup final"
Malabus
Waiting for the odds.
Robin
I can see Grimsby and Tranmere being the favourites Mal then ourselves, Eastleigh, FGR and Wrexham.
joes dad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
joes dad wrote:
"3-0 in your cup final"
:?