League two predictions thread

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
I have done a wider prediction thread in "other footy" (http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =3&t=16901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but thought I would also do a specific league two thread here:

1. Shrewsbury
2. Bury
3. Luton
--------------------------
4. York
5. Wimbledon
6. Plymouth
7. Tranmere
-------------------------
8. Southend
9. Portsmouth
10. Northampton
11. Carlisle
12. Burton
13. Oxford
14. Newport
15. Stevenage
16. Cambridge
17. Mansfield
18. Dagenham
19. Cheltenham
20. Accrington
21. Wycombe
22. Hartlepool
23. Morecambe
24. Exeter
Robin
I haven't really paid too much attention but I would imagine this loosely also follows the odds from the bookies so probably isn't very surprising. My thoughts are based on financial backing, signings made and what I know of the squads.

I'm sure people will moan about where I have placed CTFC but I have tried to be realistic, for the first time since we've been in league two I go into the season with no real belief that we will be promoted and fully expect a transistional season. That isn't that bad a thing as I think we may be putting the nucleas of the side that can challenge again in a season or two with some investment at board level. My only concern is whether the fans will put up with another lowly finish.

At the top end I can see Shrewsbury winning it, they've taken a manager who has won several promotions and made the best signings in the league. Bury will buy their way out (then probably come back in a year or two with the begging buckets out) and Luton will ride the crest of a wave.

At the bottom Exeter are in dire shape, very poor squad, no money, transfer embargo if they lose Tisdale can only see them finishing bottom. Then I always feel one of the old non-league teams go so I'll plump for Morecambe on their crowds and squad.
Benctfc
1. Bury
2. Carlisle
3. Shrewsbury
4. Tranmere
5. Burton
6. York
7. Northampton
8. Luton
9. Southend
10. Stevenage
11. Afc Wimbledon
12. Plymouth
13. Pompey
14. Dagenham
15. Wycombe
16. Cheltenham
17. Cambridge
18. Oxford
19. Newport
20. Hartlepool
21. Mansfield
22. Morecambe
23. Exeter
24. Accrington
Joey
Not much hope for Bury or Northampton succeeding even though they are throwing money at it.
York and Wimbledon to be the two surprise teams.
Oxford to implode for some silly off-pitch reason.

1. Portsmouth
2. Shrewsbury
3. York
4. Plymouth
5. Tranmere
6. AFC Wimbledon
7. Cheltenham
8. Burton
9. Stevenage
10. Luton
11. Southend
12. Bury
13. Newport
14. Carlisle
15. Northampton
16. Wycombe
17. Dagenham
18. Mansfield
19. Hartlepool
20. Morecambe
21. Accrington
22. Cambridge
23. Oxford
24. Exeter
Robin
Out of curiousity Joey how come Pompey top?
Joey
Robin wrote:Out of curiousity Joey how come Pompey top?
I'm just expecting it to be a similar sort of situation to what we had in the previous season where it'll be very close at the top. Portsmouth seem like the club who are able to fight for the extra few points as they're a well supported club with a good backroom.

Hard to predict how things will go in this league though. It'll be about which squads 'click' and those who are able to grind out results on a cold Friday night away to Accrington Stanley, it's a very fine line as Black said.
BURYFC
Joey wrote:Not much hope for Bury or Northampton succeeding even though they are throwing money at it.

1. Portsmouth
2. Shrewsbury
3. York
4. Plymouth
5. Tranmere
6. AFC Wimbledon
7. Cheltenham
8. Burton
9. Stevenage
10. Luton
11. Southend
12. Bury
13. Newport
14. Carlisle
15. Northampton
16. Wycombe
17. Dagenham
18. Mansfield
19. Hartlepool
20. Morecambe
21. Accrington
22. Cambridge
23. Oxford
24. Exeter
Bury finished 12th last year with an average squad, we have added 7 quality players to the squad and are favourites for the title, what makes you think we will finish 12th?

Also I see we are odds on to beat you lot which is comical. I can seriously see it being 5 or 6. You won't be able to handle the pace of Mayor and Adams and the skill of McCourt.
Last edited by BURYFC on 22 Jul 2014, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
BURYFC wrote: Bury finished 12th last year with an average squad, we have added 7 quality players to the squad and are favourites for the title, what makes you think we will finish 12th?
Probably for the same reason we finished in the play-offs for 2 years and then added some "quality" only to finish low down. It doesn't always work out, especially if the players are there for the money and think they're better than they are. You need a spirit as well, and a manager that will work his magic.

For the record, I reckon Bury will be in the play-offs.
Shade
BURYFC wrote: Also I see we are odds on to beat you lot which is comical. I can seriously see it being 5 or 6. You won't be able to handle the pace of Mayor and Adams and the skill of McCourt.
Why is it comical? It's football, and you're fancied for the league by the bookies and we haven't finished building our squad yet. That's the way things work. You always have been a tool when you've come on here, I see the fact fresh new season is just round the corner isn't going to change that.
BURYFC
Shade wrote:
BURYFC wrote: Bury finished 12th last year with an average squad, we have added 7 quality players to the squad and are favourites for the title, what makes you think we will finish 12th?
Probably for the same reason we finished in the play-offs for 2 years and then added some "quality" only to finish low down. It doesn't always work out, especially if the players are there for the money and think they're better than they are. You need a spirit as well, and a manager that will work his magic.

For the record, I reckon Bury will be in the play-offs.
We will finish in the top 3 of that I have no doubt, Flitcroft has a good relationship with all our players.

Correct me if I'm wrong but which XI is as strong as this:

Jalal

Hussey/Kennedy* Mills McNulty/O'Brein Jones/Widowson*

Adams/McCourt* Etuhu Tutte/Soares Mayor

Lowe Nardiello/Rose

*Not yet confirmed signings.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Accrington....

Neuer*

Lahm* Hummels* Dan Burn* Blind*

Messi* Mascherano* Neymar*

Sanchez* Rodriguez* Suarez*

* note, yet to sign

Seriously though - I don't know anything about most of those players in your team (not heard of a lot of them) so I won't be able to judge how they compare to the rest of League 2 until I see results and the league table. If you win the league then I agree with your post, if you come 12th then I would suggest eleven teams are better.

So ask again in May.
BURYFC
These players yet to sign aren't picked out of thin air like yours though, they have either been training with us (Sweeney, Widowson), transfer listed and know the manager (Rose, who came on loan last season) and Paddy McCourt is in Tenerife with the rest of the squad.

If you don't know who most of our players are then your FL knowledge is very poor, and I would suggest looking them up.

The only players I know at Cheltenham are Haworth and Carson who are both poor to put it nicely.
asl
Zzzz....... I believe you or your kin were on here this time *last* season giving it large about how you had the best team and how you were going to p1ss League 2. Boring, boring...
BURYFC
The jealousy on this board is staggering, I'm fully confident we will win by a landslide on the opening day.

Want are the odds of you bringing more than 100 fans this time?
Malabus
BURYFC wrote:I'm fully confident we will win by a landslide on the opening day.
733 euros says you won't.
Robin
I expect Bury to win but it shouldn't be a thumping otherwise the away crowd will turn on Yates.
BURYFC
Malabus wrote:
So £500 then?

Deal!
Si Robin
http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15832

This thread is from just before our last meeting with the Bury fan's last post on the Friday before.

Funnily enough, after our win that weekend we never heard from the Bury fan until 18th June. Methinks he can give it but certainly not take it.
Malabus
BURYFC wrote:
Malabus wrote:
So £500 then?

Deal!

Nobody has £500 north of Birmingham.
BURYFC
Malabus wrote:

Nobody has £500 north of Birmingham.
Our chairman clearly does.
leohoenig

Also I see we are odds on to beat you lot which is comical. I can seriously see it being 5 or 6. You won't be able to handle the pace of Mayor and Adams and the skill of McCourt.
Bury finished 12th last year with a squad described as the best in the division by their own people (Join the Bury revolution!!). Why should this year be any different?
BURYFC
leohoenig wrote:

Bury finished 12th last year with a squad described as the best in the division by their own people (Join the Bury revolution!!). Why should this year be any different?
Because we have added to an already strong squad (Jan onwards when we had a clearout) with proven quality and as such are the favourites to go up. 12th is absurd. Play-Offs will be considered a failure.
cliffy90
1. Shrewsbury
2. Bury
3. Carlisle
4. Burton
5. Stevenage
6. AFC Wimbledon
7. York
8. Luton
9. Northampton
10. Tranmere
11. Portsmouth
12. Plymouth
13. Southend
14. Newport
15. Cheltenham
16. Oxford
17. Hartlepool
18. Wycombe
19. Dagenham
20. Cambridge
21. Mansfield
22. Morecambe
23. Exeter
24. Accrington
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
BURYFC wrote:The jealousy on this board is staggering, I'm fully confident we will win by a landslide on the opening day.

We might not even bring 100. Lovely August Saturday. Montpellier or The Cotswolds will be idyllic. Who wants to go to Bury?

So you are claiming not to have hurd if Matt Richards or Steve Elliott or Byron Harrison? Gornell played for Rochdale so I imagine you have heard of him too.

Look forward to seeing where you end up and how nany of your superstars are in L2 team of the year.

Can we have a photo of £500 changing hands, whichever way it's going?
BURYFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
BURYFC wrote:The jealousy on this board is staggering, I'm fully confident we will win by a landslide on the opening day.

We might not even bring 100. Lovely August Saturday. Montpellier or The Cotswolds will be idyllic. Who wants to go to Bury?

So you are claiming not to have hurd if Matt Richards or Steve Elliott or Byron Harrison? Gornell played for Rochdale so I imagine you have heard of him too.

Look forward to seeing where you end up and how nany of your superstars are in L2 team of the year.

Terry Gornell with his 3 goals in 31 games... Don't think he would even challenge Clive Platt (our 4th choice striker) goals to game ratio.
theidlerich
1.Shrewsbury
2.Bury
3.Carlisle
4. Luton
5. Burton
6. Stevenage
7. York
8. AFC Wimbledon
9. Northampton
10. Tranmere
11. Portsmouth
12. Plymouth
13. Cheltenham
14. Newport
15. Southend
16. Oxford
17. Hartlepool
18. Wycombe
19. Dagenham
20. Morecambe
21. Cambridge
22. Mansfield
23. Exeter
24. Accrington
THECHOIRBOY
BURYFC wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but which XI is as strong as this:

Jalal
I stopped at this point. There are many better League 2 goalkeepers!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
BURYFC wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Terry Gornell with his 3 goals in 31 games... Don't think he would even challenge Clive Platt (our 4th choice striker) goals to game ratio.
I wasn't commenting on his ability or his record - just asking if you had heard of him as you originally claimed you had not.
Joey
BURYFC wrote:
Joey wrote:Not much hope for Bury or Northampton succeeding even though they are throwing money at it.

Bury finished 12th last year with an average squad, we have added 7 quality players to the squad and are favourites for the title, what makes you think we will finish 12th?

Shade pretty much made the point for me and unlike Crawley or Swindon you haven't got even more money to spend in January either I expect in-case things get a bit bad. My predictions will probably be completely wrong but I thought I'd make them a bit interesting and positive.

I'm also wondering how long it'll be before there is a dressing room confrontation between Carter and O'Toole at Northampton.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
BURYFC wrote:

Shade pretty much made the point for me and unlike Crawley or Swindon you haven't got even more money to spend in January either I expect in-case things get a bit bad. My predictions will probably be completely wrong but I thought I'd make them a bit interesting and positive.

I'm also wondering how long it'll be before there is a dressing room confrontation between Carter and O'Toole at Northampton.
At least the confrontation won't be about who stole Carter's hair styling and grooming products.
CheltRobin
Chelt predictions on here vary from the depressing (19th) to the hopefully optimistic (7th). If we do have a similar season to last, I dont expect to see Yates to see out the season. For the record, I will go with a 12th place finish for Chelt, just on the 1st page of the league when you look on the BBC red button.

I can see Pompey making a real charge this season. They have got rid a huge chunk of the 90k they were paying out last season in wages every week to players who had the left 3/4 years ago! Reckon it might be down to "only 20/30k" extra each week this coming season, which will make a huge difference to them.
Robin
Pompey squad doesn't look up to much though CheltRobin.
CheltRobin
Got massive support to help them thou. Reckon they'll make the play-offs at least.
Robin
Bradford had massive support and it took them years to get out of here.
CheltRobin
True. Just my predictions, which will prob be totally wrong!