National Game Awards

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFCfan99
Cheltenham Town win team of the year.

Gary Johnson misses out on manager of the year to Braintree's Danny Cowley.

Danny Wright and Dan Holman both miss out on player of the year to Grimsby's Padraig Amond.

https://twitter.com/NonLeaguePaper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Amond? Srs? Did nothing in the big games.

Thought Deverdics was a shoe-in personally. I would have gone for him, most assists, or Danny Wright, most goals + assists in the division.
Reliant Robin
We wuz robbed.

Should have been a clean sweep. How can Gary not win manager of the year when it was he who created the team of the year - and in just a year !
asl
Can't really bet against a PE teacher who took a bunch of taxi drivers, postmen and plumbers into a narrow play-off defeat.
Malabus
They don't feckin like us much do they....

GJ brand new team; champions by 12 points......naw nothing to celebrate about.
paperboy
asl wrote:Can't really bet against a PE teacher who took a bunch of taxi drivers, postmen and plumbers into a narrow play-off defeat.
With you there ASL
Alf
Usual snub of West Country based sport. We're used to it by now.
Robin
Yes I think the manager of the year award to Cowley is fair given the very limited resources at his disposal.

Not sure about Amond ahead of Holman though!
Chris FGR
Alf wrote:Usual snub of West Country based sport. We're used to it by now.
Must be. We've never won any of these since the NLP started I don't think. Even when we had 2 successive golden boot winners.

Btw I'd have given it to Johnson ahead of Cowley. Cowley did brilliantly, but the league was pretty s#!t this year and their style of football wasn't great. GJ won the league with 101 points having built a team from scratch. Trumps everything imo.

And how Pennock and Parkin didn't get closer to an award I'll never know...Oh.
Artemis
I can see how Cowley got it - the Cowleys have been in post for a shorter time than Lord Johnson and Sir Peter, and with that in mind, to get a part-time team to third is some achievement. Greater than winning it with a scratch full-time team? Debatable - but personally, I think so. Perhaps there is some scope of an achievement of the year as well as a manager, team and player?
Chill
Robin wrote:Yes I think the manager of the year award to Cowley is fair given the very limited resources at his disposal.

Not sure about Amond ahead of Holman though!
I agree with Robin & Shade , apart from scuffing a penalty 'in' Amond went missing in the big games. Against us at home he just seemed to spend his time complaining.
andgarod
Think about it
Amond or Holman or Wright

The cods only had one to vote for ( and there are more of them), we had 2 to vote for so split our vote

We should have arranged to vote Holman as Wrighty already had a couple of awards
Shade
True...Chill's post also reminded me that joint golden boot winner Holman had the more difficult task as well, as he was with 2 different clubs getting his 30 goals. Amond was settled all season.