No game to look forward to is tough, but it's my fault...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Kyle Storer honest and contrite in his first interview since being given an eight-game ban: http://bit.ly/Storermyfault" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Certainly gives him something to chew on.

Any more nibbles of silly season news from the Echo?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It's the toughest pre-season of Kyle Storer's career but Cheltenham Town's vice-captain admits that he only has himself to blame.

Banned for the first eight games of the season, Storer is working hard on fitness and match sharpness while not knowing when he will be able to kick a ball in anger.

His moment of madness in the final game of last season will delay him from achieving his Football League dream, but Storer appreciates that is down to him, and him alone.

"It is a tricky situation but it's my fault and I have to get on with it and deal with it," Storer said.

"It's a difficult time, because I won't be playing in the opening games. But that's where I have to make sure that my fitness levels are right up there, more than most.

"My game sharpness in a month's time is not going to be anywhere near the rest of the boys, but I just have to make sure that I work hard in training and reserve games to make sure I am ready."

Having waited 12 years for his chance to play in the 92, the punishment dished out to the former Kidderminster Harriers man for his trangresion against Lincoln was deemed strict enough by the Robins management.

He is still the club's vice-captain and boss Gary Johnson showed his faith in his lieutenant by giving him the armband at Bath on Saturday ahead of Dan Parslow, who will start the season as skipper.

"It's nice to have the backing of the manager, of course it is," Storer added. "The situation could have been a lot worse for me than it is.

"Everyone at the club has been fantastic and I have to get my head down and work to repay them, repay the fans and most important repay myself.

"The most important thing for me now is to make sure that I am ready for when I do come back into the team so I can help the boys win games in the Football League."

Storer may well sit out the opening home friendly of the summer after playing virtually the full match at Bath.

Johnson may also opt to field a side as close as possible to the one that will play the opening match against Leyton Orient as pre-season takes another step forward.

Storer's 90 minutes at Bath came in an unfamiliar position in the defensive line, both on the right of a back three and in the heart of a back four.

"It was good to get 90 minutes under my belt – well 89 minutes and 55 seconds anyway," he said.

"It's a different role for me, but nice to play alongside Pars back there. Previously I had been playing alongside the youth team boys and they are a bit quiet.

"Prior to Saturday I felt that our closing down and pressing had been impressive, we have gelled well on our return.

"I know that there have only been one or two new boys, but you have to gel again together as a team again after having six weeks off.

"We look as though we are ahead of schedule in terms of our fitness and sharpness. We were a bit off it in the first half on Saturday but you are always going to get that at the start of the season."

Copyright © 2016 Local World. All Rights Reserved.
Contact UsPrivacy & CookiesTerms & ConditionsHouse RulesLocal World
85V