Jennings moves to Morecombe on loan

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
don't think he was good enough for us anyway
asl
Not good enough for 14th-placed Cheltenham - yet good enough for top-of-the-table Morecombe...?
darreno
That's not the point. Who will cover Cranston if we gets crocked? Is Asa hall gonna fill in at left back as well?? Can't wait for the club to explain this one.
THECHOIRBOY
Means Jordan has done enough to prove he is first choice and Gary is confident downes is back and fit so if needed Barts or o shaugnessy can cover left back
CTFCfan99
Makes me laugh the number of people saying he wasn't good enough for us. He played what, three or four matches? Hardly enough to judge a player on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We need two players in each position. We have a squad of 25 or 26, and only one left back...very odd.
Horteng
Never took to him as a player nor a person. Couldn't see him dislodging Cranston so its a good move for everyone
IYWT
CTFCfan99 wrote:Makes me laugh the number of people saying he wasn't good enough for us. He played what, three or four matches? Hardly enough to judge a player on.

Which is exactly what Johnson has done :shock: so maybe these 'people' had a point
CS85
Three or four matches was obviously enough for gary johnson to come to the conclusion hes not good enough.
Or possibly he may have asked to go out on loan if he felt he was going to be second choice?.
andgarod
Perhaps he was a destabilizing influence

Didnt he get dropped by FGR for their run in

However conspiracy aside, if Gary wants to play 3 at the back then you need wingbacks not LB
Most people saw Jennings as aLB where as Cranston is Wingback material
There are now 5 CBs ( including Downes)

Are those who know better criticising Gary
He usually calls it right and there may very well be a replacement coming in
milestones
Might be a very nice guy but he never inspired confidence even from his first interview.
A good move by Gary
Robin
CTFCfan99 wrote:Makes me laugh the number of people saying he wasn't good enough for us. He played what, three or four matches? Hardly enough to judge a player on.
Let me ask you this based on his games played did he look good enough? Granted it's only a small sample but the common consensus was he was poor in every game (at least partially culpable for Orient and Mansfield goals).

My instincts say maybe he could have improved with a bit of time and support but also he may be another Lee Vaughan i.e. decent at conference level but not able to make the step up to football league (he was part of an awful Mansfield side and quickly released).

As for a disruptive influence I have heard nothing to support that claim but he did stay over in Newcastle to go out drinking with his family rather than return with the squad.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
People wrote Cranston after a game or two and now say how much he has improved.
horlickfanclub
I was doubtful about Cranston with good reason but am really happy to see him in great form but worry about left sided back up. Having said that Jennings had not defended well .
Shade
So many people jump to slag the guy off without having a clue about the reason he has gone out on loan until January, when he will still be a Cheltenham player. And after he scored inside the 6 yard box after getting forward from LWB on Tuesday...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:So many people jump to slag the guy off without having a clue about the reason he has gone out on loan until January, when he will still be a Cheltenham player. And after he scored inside the 6 yard box after getting forward from LWB on Tuesday...
Alas, some are always looking for the next opportunity to abuse and criticise a player. Unpleasant culture, but that's life.
Horteng
Only seen him in action against BCFC in preseason but he looked woefully short of our standard i'm afraid
paperboy
Alas, some are always looking for the next opportunity to abuse and criticise a player. Unpleasant culture, but that's life.[/quote]

Yep,expect Chelsea fans are in a quandary having re-signed Davis Luiz.

Criticized with great justification for being woeful defensively and now they've been got him back again. :)
Artemis
Perhaps Jennings wanted to be closer to his Manchester roots?
asl
Horteng wrote:he looked woefully short of our standard i'm afraid
This is my point: if he's not good enough for us (1 win in 5), what do top-of-the-table Morecombe think he's bringing to their party...? Clearly, he's not going there to sit on the bench as he could do that, here. Strange place for us to agree he can go on loan to, IMHO. Personally, I've not seen him at all (probably did last season, though) so I have no opinion on his ability and even less so on speculation that he may be a 'disruptive influence' (I'm amazed nobody's said "attitude problem", but there we go... ;) )
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:Only seen him in action against BCFC in preseason but he looked woefully short of our standard i'm afraid
Then why did GJ sign him?
Robin
Artemis wrote:Perhaps Jennings wanted to be closer to his Manchester roots?
I suspect it's more a case that he realised he would not be starting regularly here, so GJ allowed him to move on to free up wages for other players to come in. His family are in Manchester so a move to Morecambe suits family yes but hardly likely to move there and I would question whether Morecambe can afford his current wage demands too.
andgarod
Robin wrote:
Morecambe can afford his current wage demands too.
and what are these demands then Robin?
Ralph
andgarod wrote:
Robin wrote:
here we go :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:
Robin wrote:
And how do they compare to those of Jack Dunn?

Anyway, Jennings already proved that his hunger to play at the highest level he can is more important than money when he left the FGR gravy train to join us in the EFL, so likely that he is keen to play so wanted to move. As GJ said in his interview, at 28 the player wanted to be on the pitch, not on the bench.

I suspect Morecambe scouts were at Blackpool in midweek.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
andgarod wrote:
Robin wrote:
here we go :lol:
[*waits whilst Robin loads up Football Manager*]
Reliant Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Horteng wrote:Only seen him in action against BCFC in preseason but he looked woefully short of our standard i'm afraid
I suspect the answer to this has several angles:

He was left back at the club that had been 1st or 2nd all season in the Vanarama. He'd been a captain. He was available. He was local. We needed cover or a first choice left back because George had been non-committal about signing a new contract in closed season. He was prepared to accept a salary commensurate with our other players (probably took a pay cut leaving FGR). Oh, and he was left footed ;) . Reports on his suitability were probably decent.

On paper he ticked all the boxes, but in the games I saw him play he did seem a bit overawed, or most probably lacking confidence. His defensive positional play was suspect and had cost us points, but he scored a great goal v Blackpool, sprinting 12 metres to anticipate the cross and left the Blackpool defender in no-mans land.

Morecambe will have a number of their loan selection boxes ticked, too. It will be interesting to see what happens in January - will Morecambe want to keep him/sign him? Will he have improved to League 2 standard and walk back into the CTFC side? Will another Club want him? It's a good move whichever way. The main risk is if he doesn't cut it at Morecambe and then it will indicate he's not up to League 2 standard. I hope it works out for him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
I suspect the answer to this has several angles:

He was left back at the club that had been 1st or 2nd all season in the Vanarama. He'd been a captain. He was available. He was local. We needed cover or a first choice left back because George had been non-committal about signing a new contract in closed season. He was prepared to accept a salary commensurate with our other players (probably took a pay cut leaving FGR). Oh, and he was left footed ;) . Reports on his suitability were probably decent.

On paper he ticked all the boxes, but in the games I saw him play he did seem a bit overawed, or most probably lacking confidence. His defensive positional play was suspect and had cost us points, but he scored a great goal v Blackpool, sprinting 12 metres to anticipate the cross and left the Blackpool defender in no-mans land.

Morecambe will have a number of their loan selection boxes ticked, too. It will be interesting to see what happens in January - will Morecambe want to keep him/sign him? Will he have improved to League 2 standard and walk back into the CTFC side? Will another Club want him? It's a good move whichever way. The main risk is if he doesn't cut it at Morecambe and then it will indicate he's not up to League 2 standard. I hope it works out for him.
Good analysis. I hope so too.
Shade
I think it's as simple as Cranston has improved a lot, JJ has been on the bench and wants to play, being 28. Now there are no loans available until January he's decided he wants to go out, play and maybe get up to speed and come back in January raring to go, all because Morecambe showed some late interest. GJ said there was some interest in him a week ago but JJ decided he wanted to stay and fight for his place. He's obviously now decided he is, or GJ sees him as, quite a way behind Cranston.

If it isn't that, then GJ came up with an elaborate story for nothing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I think it's as simple as Cranston has improved a lot, JJ has been on the bench and wants to play, being 28. Now there are no loans available until January he's decided he wants to go out, play and maybe get up to speed and come back in January raring to go, all because Morecambe showed some late interest. GJ said there was some interest in him a week ago but JJ decided he wanted to stay and fight for his place. He's obviously now decided he is, or GJ sees him as, quite a way behind Cranston.

If it isn't that, then GJ came up with an elaborate story for nothing.
Maybe we all fell into the PR (von) trap(p).
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:
Artemis wrote:Perhaps Jennings wanted to be closer to his Manchester roots?
I suspect it's more a case that he realised he would not be starting regularly here, so GJ allowed him to move on to free up wages for other players to come in. His family are in Manchester so a move to Morecambe suits family yes but hardly likely to move there and I would question whether Morecambe can afford his current wage demands too.
Morecambe are having a new rich owner if the FA approve it.
Robin
Morecambe are favourites for the drop and have a well documented wage budget that is tiny by league two standards.
Shade
Morecambe always start really well. Well, the last 5 or so seasons anyway. Then they fall away around mid-September.
Robin
Exactly the common sense approach is always the league starts to take shape after ten games, if anyone believes Morecambe have better chance of promotion than us I suggest they run to the bookmakers quickly as odds do not support such a claim.
Reliant Robin
I wonder what James Jennings will be doing on Saturday 17th December? Will he be doing his Christmas shopping, or will he be permitted to play for Morecambe's first team?