Some of my players may not be good enough - Johnson

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Frank words from Gary Johnson after the Notts County defeat: http://bit.ly/JohnsonGoodEnough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But he's keen to stay and establish CTFC in (at least) League Two: http://bit.ly/JohnsonContract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Not the first time he's said this now. Worrying.
Robin
I said it elsewhere we needed 2-3 players in the summer notably a proven centre half and a proven striker Wright, Downes and Parslow all in danger of not making it right now.
Ralph
we had to give the lads a chance that got us promoted
Robin
Agree with the principle Ralph but why didn't we sign 2-3 quality players instead of 5-6 fringe players?
Ralph
agree with that Robin. You still need that competition .
theidlerich
Sort of bit late now. It was always going to be a difficult choice, rewarding the promoted squad, BUT a managers job is to look ahead to a very difficult challenge; that meant changes. Didn't happen; so it needs rectifying soon. January being the distant window to replace those who are struggling, and that is quite a few!
Alf
We are getting enough ball into the box but don't seem to know when to shoot and when to lay the ball off. We are coming up against better organised defences this season and either forward players need to be sharper or we need a striker of the required standard which is easier said than done on a limited budget. Magpies showed how to make the most of chances on offer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Holman is that striker.
drgm
Robin said:
Agree with the principle Ralph but why didn't we sign 2-3 quality players instead of 5-6 fringe players?

Nail hit firmly on head, except 2-3 proven League 2 players not 5-6 fringe players.
The players not making the grade are Hall and Rowe for me. God help us if Pell gets injured.
andgarod
add to those 2 munns and waters
plus our sick notes AMS Dayton Storer ( probably amongst our most expensive players)
Loanees Smith (not a striker and lacking experience)
Suliman (lightweight and no experience)
Whitehead (inconsistent)
Koby arthur ?
our big name signing on loan

Holman and Downes both need to show they are lge2 standaed and Downes didnt yesterday but judge him after 10 matches !

Hall and Rowe seem to be this seasons regular whipping boys but I think its that others are not delivering leaving those two to try and step it up
Robin
I'm happy with Asa this season, sure he's no better than league two but he's a great squad player who covers a number of positions and rarely has a bad game.
CTFC03
Rowe has been quite good this season, Asa Hall has been reliable & Pell has been outstanding.
James from the Echo
Poll:Who have been the Hits, Misses or Maybes in the Robins squad? http://bit.ly/HitMissMaybe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Great idea that James, some interesting results so far! The only hits (players who have done consistently well are Dickie, Pell, Griffiths, O'Shaugnessy and Cranston in my opinion).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
James from the Echo wrote:Poll:Who have been the Hits, Misses or Maybes in the Robins squad? http://bit.ly/HitMissMaybe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how being publicly voted a 'Miss' will help players find form and confidence.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
James from the Echo wrote:Poll:Who have been the Hits, Misses or Maybes in the Robins squad? http://bit.ly/HitMissMaybe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how being publicly voted a 'Miss' will help players find form and confidence.
They care less about what happens on this sight than you imagine.
Shade
For me it was poor decision making all round on Saturday. Downes shouldn't have started and should have been the one replaced when DO'S went off. He was clearly not quite ready and up to speed, as much as he says he is. And then the choice of balls when we were 3-2 down were poor. We had Munns, Dayton and Pell. When they got the ball we looked dangerous every single time and would get the ball in and around the box, created a few chances that were fluffed. Yet what happened? Pars and Downes kept hitting it over the top towards Wright, who increasingly found himself with more and more defenders around him waiting for it to happen.

Also, was it just me that thought Rob Dickie looked like he was injured or couldn't be assed in the last 20 minutes?

If they're fit I'd revert to the back 5 we'd been playing before Saturday, with Munns, Dayton and Pell in midfield. I thought Jonny Smith looked decent in the first half but was anonymous in the second, so maybe give him another go up front.
Robin
Looking at the results with roughly 150 votes so far Pell, O'Shaugnessy, Griffiths, Dickie and Dayton are pretty much widely considered as hits, all the other new signings and Amari Morgan-Smtih are considered as a miss (Jennings has 100% miss feedback), all the other players are generally tight with Parslow very close between a hit and a miss (although the only game he was really bad was this weekend in my eyes). Still harsh to judge Downes, Munns, Storer and Holman.

The one surprise to me was Rowe who is more a miss than a win according to that but it still may change.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
They care less about what happens on this sight than you imagine.
I know this site is meaningless (hence writing nonsense all the time), but you will see that the Poll I was commenting on was in the Echo, which probably holds more traction with the club and players. What happens if James Young declares a player a 'Miss' in the paper during the week, and then wants to interview him on the Saturday, for example?
I-Love-CTFC
I'm not sure how the manager publicly saying some players may not be good enough constantly can help confidence either.
asl
I-Love-CTFC wrote:I'm not sure how the manager publicly saying some players may not be good enough constantly can help confidence either.
They're all looking around thinking: "phew...glad he's not talking about me."
horlickfanclub
They are probably thinking " He signed me on ".