Yeovil Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/YeovilAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I know the defending was rubbish last week but starting with 5 centre backs and a left back is slight overkill? I can only assume Dickie and Suliman will be at RWB and defensive midfield.
Nesty
is Rowe injured ??

and I see Koby not even on bench !! - is this to do with how many loans?
Shade
Both injured apparently. And Whitehead was feeling ill yesterday so not considered.
Robin
Suliman makes me worried immediately, he looks well short of standard so far.
Robin
1-0 down, terrible mistake at the back by Griffiths...
Shade
Suliman, Downes, Parslow and DO'S has got to be the slowest back 4 we've had in a long long time.
Shade
Hate to say it, but I think GJ has well out-thought himself this afternoon. 2 down already. 7 goals in 2 and a bit games when we only conceded 5 in the first 6. What the hell is going on.
London Exile
Unbelievably bad start.
I'm starting to wonder if the constant criticism of players/squad in the press is having a negative impact with the squad?
Rulistening
Lost for words with the defence. Or more so the fact I actually want us to start a game with one... January better be a good transfer window for getting rid of the deadweight and signing players who are actually good enough. Or however pessimistic it sounds we're going back down again..
Shade
Munns and Waters coming on. As I said, I think GJ out thought himself. Took a gamble with this strange line-up and it certainly hasn't paid off.
Shade
Look at that, proper line up and we're back in the game. 2-1.
Nesty
London Exile wrote:Unbelievably bad start.
I'm starting to wonder if the constant criticism of players/squad in the press is having a negative impact with the squad?
totally agree - its all very well having this transparency with the press but I saw an article where Pell was criticising the rest of the team - surely not good for morale
Another_FoD_Robin
Where is this article then Nesty??
Nesty
it was on the back page of the Echo in mid week, and surely on the website
Nesty
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/wa ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
46 minutes against us and the have scored half as many as they have done in a total of 8 games so far. As I said before, this is going to be a long season. We should have built a league 2 team. No room for sentimnet in a professional game
Nesty
confused.com wrote:46 minutes against us and the have scored half as many as they have done in a total of 8 games so far. As I said before, this is going to be a long season. We should have built a league 2 team. No room for sentimnet in a professional game
I agree to a point, but as I have said GJ had to give these players a chance - the loan system changes have not helped
London Exile
confused.com wrote:46 minutes against us and the have scored half as many as they have done in a total of 8 games so far. As I said before, this is going to be a long season. We should have built a league 2 team. No room for sentimnet in a professional game
All well and good but IMO the squad that won last seasons National League, amassing over 100 points in process, more than deserved the opportunity to step up.
Sadly it would appear though that one or two aren't quite up to L2 but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I've felt that in some of the games we've been unlucky but ultimately we are making too many mistakes and getting punished.
Shade
Back in it again, 3-2. Let's hope we don't do what we did last week and immediately concede again. In fact, let's hope we don't concede again at all, and score another 2...
Shade
I don't know about you lot, but I've got the feeling this game has got a touch of the Burton's about it...
Shade
Oh dear. 4-2. Off to try and cheer myself up before Tuesday.
Robin
Downes, Parslow, Suliman all not good enough I'm starting to fear.
Shade
Individually I think they would be OK, it's playing 2 of them together, let alone all 3, that is the trouble. We can only play one of Downes or Parslow. But then it sounded like Griffiths had a bit of a mare today as well. Of course, it would have been 2-2 had we not started with such a bizarre line up.
I-Love-CTFC
GJ has to be held accountable for the team selection today. Why didn't Munns and Waters start? Square pegs in round holes. Dickie in midfield when Hall and Munns are sat on the bench and O'Shaughnessy at left back. Baffling decisions.

9 goals conceded in our last 3 games. I'm starting to believe that the majority of this squad aren't good enough. The loan signings have been extremely poor. Suliman, Whitehead, Smith and Arthur all poor and offering very little. Griffiths had a shocker today. Pell is the only player who has stepped up to the plate and looked capable at this level. We need a team of Harry Pells to compete.

I know it is still early days but if we fail to beat Stevenage next week at home then I will seriously start getting worried.
London Exile
With Downes and Parslow there is a distinct lack of pace between the pair. It was certainly evident last week but not being there today I don't know if that was a problem again?
Suliman sounds like he's struggling and to be hauled off in the 1st half isn't great.

It would be nice to put a string of positive results together now if we don't want to be preoccupied with a relegation scrap
Hubert Parry
Downes and Parslow are not good enough. You can't have a back two who are not good enough.
I-Love-CTFC
London Exile wrote:With Downes and Parslow there is a distinct lack of pace between the pair. It was certainly evident last week but not being there today I don't know if that was a problem again?
Suliman sounds like he's struggling and to be hauled off in the 1st half isn't great.

It would be nice to put a string of positive results together now if we don't want to be preoccupied with a relegation scrap
We can't afford to play Downes and Parslow together. One of them has to partner Dickie. Grateful for the contribution Parslow and Downes made last season but League 2 looks too much for them. I'd bring Barthram in at right wing back, Dickie doesn't look comfortable there. I fail to see how Suliman has been starting ahead of Barthram.
itsallbollox
Oh dear oh dear, only 7 points of 8th place with only 37 games left. We're doomed I say we're doomed. Feckin get a grip will ya. How many of you were there today oh I forgot most of you are armchair critics and WUM'S............
Nesty
itsallbollox wrote:Oh dear oh dear, only 7 points of 8th place with only 37 games left. We're doomed I say we're doomed. Feckin get a grip will ya. How many of you were there today oh I forgot most of you are armchair critics and WUM'S............
and only 1 point from the bottom
confused.com
The number of points of 8th at this stage of the season means little. It is form that is the factor and we just got scalped by a team being tipped for relegation. When anyone showed concern over earlier defeats, the response was not to worry as the oppostion were top 8 material. We are leaking goals, that 8 point gap won't help that
itsallbollox
Nesty wrote:
itsallbollox wrote:Oh dear oh dear, only 7 points of 8th place with only 37 games left. We're doomed I say we're doomed. Feckin get a grip will ya. How many of you were there today oh I forgot most of you are armchair critics and WUM'S............
and only 1 point from the bottom
And Nesty your one of the worst ones,, always negative.........
Rulistening
Do people think its cool to whiteknight? If anything you need to get a grip. This is so poor and you cant even deny that if we keep playing like this we are sinking. Im not saying we are definitely going down and thats the season over but unless team selections are sorted out and players step up or step away. It's going to be a long season...
Robin
I recall the SC team had a similar start, only turned around by our players diving to win penalties. That season we missed out on the play offs right at the death.

That said, Gary Johnson faces some tough choices. Poor summer recruitment is coming back to bite us, he needs to decide on one of Parslow or Downes to partner O'Shaugnessy and stick with it. I wrote on here just over a year ago that my York supporting friend said Pars was a great conference defender but not quite up to league two consistently, so far that's proving true. Downes is a great leader, chips in with a few goals but was absolutely dire last week and by all accounts was poor again today. Ultimately it's one or the other partnered by either Dickie or O'Shaugnessy.

Time to go with a back four of Cranston, O'Shaugnessy, Downes and Dickie, if the skipper does not improve over the next few games then it's no new contract and Parslow back in until January when we have to sign a battle hardened centre half who can organise the defence.
Robin
confused.com wrote:The number of points of 8th at this stage of the season means little. It is form that is the factor and we just got scalped by a team being tipped for relegation. When anyone showed concern over earlier defeats, the response was not to worry as the oppostion were top 8 material. We are leaking goals, that 8 point gap won't help that
I agree with this, for what ever reason the return of Downes has totally destabilised what was looking a fairly solid defence.