Yeovil Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Yet you have clubs like Scunthorpe, Burton, Rochdale all with much more limited potential than we have who have thrived in recent years, no reason we cannot emulate that. However we need to increase capacity of the ground if we want to thrive in league one hence my concern when Paul Baker recently mentioned a main stand with only 2000 seats.
andgarod
What I cannot understand with all the wealth in the cotswolds etc why no one with a serious wedge hasnt moved in on footy
I know we have Mr Keswick but he left to sit on the back benches at WR
The only problem is that the moneybags who come in want to do it their way with their people
Perhaps its better the devil you know than the one you dont
darreno
Yet you have clubs like Scunthorpe, Burton, Rochdale all with much more limited potential than we have who have thrived in recent years, no reason we cannot emulate that. However we need to increase capacity of the ground if we want to thrive in league one hence my concern when Paul Baker recently mentioned a main stand with only 2000 seats.
A bigger pool of players to choose from is the main reason. We are relatively out the way we can't draw on the northern or London-based clubs. And there only so many people the chairman can put up at his gaffe.

Seriously, I'm not sure I understand the logic. Is a bigger ground critical, or not to success? I don't think so. If you think we can thrive in league one by simply increasing our capacity, well go talk to Doncaster or Plymuff, Carlisle, Notts County, or Shrewsbury, the list goes on :roll: No guarantee of success having a big ground. Hard work, some good players, a large slice of luck and a chairman with deep pockets is what we need to 'thrive' as you say. Oh yeah, and good management too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:What I cannot understand with all the wealth in the cotswolds etc why no one with a serious wedge hasnt moved in on footy
I know we have Mr Keswick but he left to sit on the back benches at WR
The only problem is that the moneybags who come in want to do it their way with their people
Perhaps its better the devil you know than the one you dont
Because Cotswold and Gloucestershire wealthy have common sense and business intelligence. You would lose less money burning £50 notes everyday than you would piling millions into CTFC. It is not an investment just a money black hole.

Better to fund a new stand using sensible business methods, unless as hapoened to Burton a local multinational gives us land for free and pays for a new stadium with good non-matchday income potential.
Robin
darreno wrote:
A bigger pool of players to choose from is the main reason. We are relatively out the way we can't draw on the northern or London-based clubs. And there only so many people the chairman can put up at his gaffe.

Seriously, I'm not sure I understand the logic. Is a bigger ground critical, or not to success? I don't think so. If you think we can thrive in league one by simply increasing our capacity, well go talk to Doncaster or Plymuff, Carlisle, Notts County, or Shrewsbury, the list goes on :roll: No guarantee of success having a big ground. Hard work, some good players, a large slice of luck and a chairman with deep pockets is what we need to 'thrive' as you say. Oh yeah, and good management too.
OK let me explain in league one there are at least 5-6 clubs who could bring 2500+ here, only we don't have a large enough ground to take them. Now imagine if we could give them the In2print plus half the current away end. That's something like £100k in revenue per season we are missing out on.

If we ever made the Championship it's like 2500 away fans would be the norm and clubs like Newcastle and Villa could sell double that. Now I am not suggesting we plan for that but certainly a new 3000 seater main stand means we can keep that as our home end and give the In2Print to the away fans with no problem thus maximising revenue. If we build smaller we already know we can sell 3000 seats for bigger games without too much effort.
CTFC03
I would drop both Downes and Parslow, it is time to try something different.
Robin
CTFC03 wrote:I would drop both Downes and Parslow, it is time to try something different.
Well we don't have enough centre halves - let alone experienced ones to do that. I think it has to be one or the other from now on alongside O'Shaugnessy and see how we go.
plymrob
Not sure folk here perhaps really understand the full circumstance behind the ground relocation that fell before Burton Albion... but, as ever, I stand to be corrected. I liked their old ground.... but what the hell. Well done to them.

We were on the pitch...
robinsrule
I think part of the problem is that we won a very poor league last year. Many fans of other teams were saying the same, and while there was obviously an element of sour grapes involved, many were also saying that we were far from the best team they had seen in recent seasons.

For that reason perhaps we thought we would be better equipped to challenge in League 2 than we really are. I don't believe that complacency on the part of the manager or players is the main reason we are struggling.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Braintree and Dover getting to play-offs showed how poor the Conference was last season.
everyman
Robin wrote:
CTFC03 wrote:I would drop both Downes and Parslow, it is time to try something different.
Well we don't have enough centre halves - let alone experienced ones to do that. I think it has to be one or the other from now on alongside O'Shaugnessy and see how we go.
O`Shaughessy needs an experienced player alongside him or we may see him lose confidence if he is left to prop up central defence alone.Dan can sometimes lose concentration as when he let Stead run of him for his second goal.
Last edited by everyman on 27 Sep 2016, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
O`Shaughessy and Dickie.

Could be the best L2 pairing by the season's end if given experience together during the next 30 games.
andgarod
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:O`Shaughessy and Dickie.

Could be the best L2 pairing by the season's end if given experience together during the next 30 games.
Is that a comment on an empty Echo thread I see before me RCS
darreno
Now imagine if we could give them the In2print plus half the current away end. That's something like £100k in revenue per season we are missing out on.
Ok, so we take the 'build it and they will come' approach? That's not a strategy, that's wishful thinking.

I accept a new main stand would be great, and would make WR look like a proper league ground, rather than a non-league ground used for league football. But giving the away fans the In2print stand is not the answer. We first need a team that will get us promoted (or capable of), and getting us stable in League 1, before we build your shiny new stand. To be stable, we need a squad of League one players (and preferably a conveyor belt). Who is going to finance that, in addition to the stand? Look at what happened the last time we went up (both times). Promotion, but no investment in the squad. And when we went chasing our losses, we nearly went out of business.

Let's just concentrate on maintaining our league status before we get any delusions of grandeur.
Robin
darreno wrote:
Now imagine if we could give them the In2print plus half the current away end. That's something like £100k in revenue per season we are missing out on.
Ok, so we take the 'build it and they will come' approach? That's not a strategy, that's wishful thinking.

I accept a new main stand would be great, and would make WR look like a proper league ground, rather than a non-league ground used for league football. But giving the away fans the In2print stand is not the answer. We first need a team that will get us promoted (or capable of), and getting us stable in League 1, before we build your shiny new stand. To be stable, we need a squad of League one players (and preferably a conveyor belt). Who is going to finance that, in addition to the stand? Look at what happened the last time we went up (both times). Promotion, but no investment in the squad. And when we went chasing our losses, we nearly went out of business.

Let's just concentrate on maintaining our league status before we get any delusions of grandeur.
Sorry Darreno our chairman and manager have been clear another promotion is the aim - it may not happen this season although still plenty of time - but it's not a big jump to make. If we don't prepare for it whilst designing the new stand then it's too late. Remember the new stand is coming with the ground swap so it is not something we wait to see which league we are in as it will likely take a few years to be built.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:O`Shaughessy and Dickie.

Is that a comment on an empty Echo thread I see before me RCS
A dagger of the mind, a false creation.