Gary Johnson - how long?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

bigdavejambo
I know he did fantastically well last season but how long before Paul Baker gets twitchy?

the club cant afford to be relegated again as next time we wont be so lucky to bounce straight back. I think GJ is the man for the job but considering whats at stake then how much time will he be afforded?
Johnsons Red Army
Hopefully the whole season. Getting rid of GJ would be a fatal mistake.
IYWT
It's a difficult one to judge. Clearly Johnson is not un sackable, but last season should buy him a bit more time. If we're still in the bottom 2 in January do we back him to get us out of it, or let someone else sign the players they need?
I-Love-CTFC
Despite our poor start to the season, I don't think getting rid of GJ will have crossed Paul Baker's mind at any point. Wasn't there talk of him offering him a new contract recently? I wonder if Paul Baker will still offer him a new deal or hold off for now. If we get to January and we are still struggling then a big decision may have to be made.
Nesty
this is a bit premature sure;y
Robin
This is insane, we have one of the best managers in the division, you have to be on a wind up surely? No chance we sack GJ he's doing nothing wrong and is simply hand tied with a poor summer of recruitment.

Also there is no chance we will be relegated and I would be amazed if we finish bottom eight, there is a long way to go yet and we've played badly in four games does not predict we will struggle.
Robin
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/op ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bristol Rovers lost five of their first ten last season, we won 3 of our first ten under SC, get a grip some of you.
I-Love-CTFC
Robin wrote:http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/op ... story.html

Bristol Rovers lost five of their first ten last season, we won 3 of our first ten under SC, get a grip some of you.
The difference is Bristol Rovers had a squad packed with Football League experience and they had Matty Taylor firing them to promotion.
Malabus
Ask yourself who would do a better job with our budget.
Gary Johnson has my full support. He has had not the best of luck so far, we just have to ride the storm, things will get better with a strong manager leading us back into the FL slowly.
No one is better for us than Gary Johnson.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/op ... story.html

Completely agree Robin. Grip has been lost by some who are over reacting and getting hysterical.
London Exile
Let's sack Gary without further delay I mean how flukey were we to win the national league by 12 points ahead of the the high spending Ecotricty FC and amass over 100 points in doing so!
How dare he keep faith in a squad that did so unbelievably well last season. Ridiculous management if you ask me. Everyone of the squad should've been shown the door in the summer and we should have signed football league standard players instead which would have guaranteed top spot by now with 30 points on the board.
There's so many other managers better than Gary out there with championship management experience and a wealth of lower FL management too. We've only won 1 game all season out of 10 which means we are doomed. Absolutely doomed. Never mind that some of the draws and defeats we were unfortunate not to take all 3 points (which happens in football) we must focus on the negatives and we mustn't allow anyone a chance to find confidence and form which would see us rise up the table. 8 points off the play off positions with 10 games gone we must act now and sack Gary.
Reliant Robin
3 wins and we are right back in the mix. And it won't be long before that happens.

The signs are already there that we are learning from what's happened so far. We now know:

* We can score goals
* We can keep clean sheets

We just need to do both the above in the same game, and we will do with a bit more self belief, a bit of luck and a bit of consistency and then we will be flying.
goalpost
The supporters wouldn't even be that thinking about sacking GJ if he come out at the start of the season and said that going back into the football league was going to be a bit of a struggle rather than we are looking to get promoted again.

It just raises the expectation of the fans and puts further pressure on the players.
Brando
London Exile wrote:Let's sack Gary without further delay I mean how flukey were we to win the national league by 12 points ahead of the the high spending Ecotricty FC and amass over 100 points in doing so!
How dare he keep faith in a squad that did so unbelievably well last season. Ridiculous management if you ask me. Everyone of the squad should've been shown the door in the summer and we should have signed football league standard players instead which would have guaranteed top spot by now with 30 points on the board.
There's so many other managers better than Gary out there with championship management experience and a wealth of lower FL management too. We've only won 1 game all season out of 10 which means we are doomed. Absolutely doomed. Never mind that some of the draws and defeats we were unfortunate not to take all 3 points (which happens in football) we must focus on the negatives and we mustn't allow anyone a chance to find confidence and form which would see us rise up the table. 8 points off the play off positions with 10 games gone we must act now and sack Gary.
You mean like Paul Hurst did and now Grimsby are in a playoff position, better league requires better players, thats life.
London Exile
I trust in GJ far more than I would Paul Hurst. I fully expect GJ to get us moving forward and then see a few new faces in January ready for the business end of the season
andgarod
As they say - you cannot be serious

If there are villians in the this then look at Lady Luck and the FA/EFL

Lady luck has dealt a few dodgy cards with injuries etc ( some caring over from last year)
FA suspending Storer and 8 matches in a month not to mention the loan rule changes and being messed around by other clubs
Then there is the old CTFC syndrome of not investing in the team on the chance we dont need to

Meanwhile the Cheltenham public disappear under a stone waiting for a plum 3rd round FA cup tie

I cannot think of anyone better placed to dig us out of the hole we are in
The players owe GJ something for giving them a chance so I hope they wake up and smell the coffee
vickeryc
The hysteria of some on this Forum beggars belief. You could be forgiven for thinking we were the division's whipping boys when, in fact, all of the games to date have been close-run affairs. Anyone who really believes GJ is not the best man for the job is out of touch with reality. It's very early days and only a matter of time before we turn the corner and start climbing the table.
horlickfanclub
"Andgarod"
Post subject: Re: Gary Johnson - how long?

Lady luck has dealt a few dodgy cards with injuries etc ( some caring over from last year)
FA suspending Storer and 8 matches in a month not to mention the loan rule changes and being messed around by other clubs
Then there is the old CTFC syndrome of not investing in the team on the chance we dont need to
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Are you saying Storer should not have been suspended when he has accepted it on the chin? We knew about this and signed Whitehead to cover.Do the loan rules apply only to us ? What clubs "messude us around"? We had an increased budget and the Manager chose the priorities. I am not saying he should be sacked as things can turn around but the excuse culture of some fans is not acceptable and is not the Managers style either. He knows he has made mistakes. Making progress in the league and a good cup run will change the mood .
everyman
Malabus wrote:Ask yourself who would do a better job with our budget.
Gary Johnson has my full support. He has had not the best of luck so far, we just have to ride the storm, things will get better with a strong manager leading us back into the FL slowly.

"Ask yourself who would do a better job with our budget."
The budget is the problem ?
Robin
We have a budget that GJ believes is good enough for promotion, while I doubt it's up there with the likes of Luton/Pompey etc I would be surprised if it's not a mid-table one.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:"Andgarod"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Are you saying Storer should not have been suspended when he has accepted it on the chin? We knew about this and signed Whitehead to cover.Do the loan rules apply only to us ? What clubs "messude us around"? We had an increased budget and the Manager chose the priorities. I am not saying he should be sacked as things can turn around but the excuse culture of some fans is not acceptable and is not the Managers style either. He knows he has made mistakes. Making progress in the league and a good cup run will change the mood .
Charlton and Reading messed us about over Phillips and Dickie.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:"Andgarod"

Charlton and Reading messed us about over Phillips and Dickie.
And Vince's mob over Frear.
horlickfanclub
We could have gone elsewhere. Our own fault.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:We could have gone elsewhere. Our own fault.
We did.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Brando wrote:
London Exile wrote:Let's sack Gary without further delay I mean how flukey were we to win the national league by 12 points ahead of the the high spending Ecotricty FC and amass over 100 points in doing so!
You mean like Paul Hurst did and now Grimsby are in a playoff position, better league requires better players, thats life.
Well, Amond who left Grimsby has scored two against them in the first half today.
bigdavejambo
two months on - has anything improved?
Beentheredonethat
No. Nothing much has changed! Still best players out injured and suspended. Transfer market not available and loans not allowed. None of our players have developed into Messi, or Bale during this period either, and Glos still use the pitch! We are in the second round of the cup, we are only a couple of wins away from mid table and in a few weeks GJ will have the opportunity to move things on!
Oh for some measured perspective on this forum! ( and less negativity too possibly?.......no too much to ask!)
Red Duke
I am sure that all this knee jerk reaction has occurred at most clubs in League 2 this season. e.g. Wycombe, Colchester, Plymouth. Three wins everything in the garden is rosy, the Manager is the best thing since sliced bread three defeats then it is all doom and gloom and you need to sack the Manager.
Robin
Ridiculous, sums up everything wrong with modern football sacking the manager is the easy option. Pretty obvious where our problems are - poor summer recruitment and injuries/suspension. GJ needs budget to sign 3-4 quality players down the spine of the team who will come in and lift the others who are clearly low on confidence. We have a group that will give everything but are suffering so no need to go crazy.

That said I don't want to see unproven kids coming in the January transfer window, we need to bring in proven players with the odd kid. A centre half who can command the defence to replace one of Downes/Parslow and a quality striker who can hold the ball up are an absolute must. I'd also be keen to see a proven box to box central midfielder to come in alongside Pell/Storer/Hall but this one is less of a priority. I suspect we will also add a full back and winger so it may be busy times ahead.
Beentheredonethat
Spot on Robin! Excellent summing up of situation and needs for Jan (tho I would also say that we also need left back and Gary thinks we need a right back)
Reliant Robin
Malabus wrote:Ask yourself who would do a better job with our budget.
Absolutely the above, 100% - well said Mal, and although it was written at the end of September I still believe it would be bonkers to change the manager. We did that with Mark Yates and look where it got us. Gary knows what's wrong and what it will take to put things right and we cannot throw money away sacking managers again.
andgarod
so its decision time
Discussing new contract according to PB

Give him a new 12 month rolling contract
Then he can recruit on a sure footing
( also in the new signings transfers release clauses if we go down)
Robin
Absurdity, GJ is the best asset at the club, please can all this stupidity stop I know it's silly season with the Brexit and Trump but sacking him would be an even bigger shock than those.
Johnsons Red Army
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Hopefully the whole season. Getting rid of GJ would be a fatal mistake.
I stand by my comments. I have full faith in GJ's ability to turn this around and am fully confident that he will do.
Nesty
it is worrying though that he seems to go from hero to zero at other clubs