Grimsby Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/GrimsbyTownA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Just as expected, now we have the core of the title winning side fit and available the form and wins start picking up. Now to get Holman back and start pushing the goals for column up as well.

Also well done Russell Griffiths, making the important saves to give us the points that Phillips and Flatt were making last season.
triggo
Its true then.... they are our bitches :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done GJ and the boys !!
Ralph
time to visit the fishy :lol:
Ralph
fair play to Mariner_09 with his prediction

0-1, Waters 59 min
5746 (117 of them)

Score right
Goal scorer right
He got a 9 in the time of first goal
3 people out with CTFC fans 114 according to JP
Reliant Robin
We need not fear anyone in this League.

In the last two weeks we have beaten teams in and around the play off zone and we are catching them now. I always felt we would come good once we were over the worst of the injuries and got our leaders back on the pitch - it gives everyone a lift. Really pleased for Billy Waters too, he's got real belief about him, just what you need from a striker - and interestingly, Grimbsy had highlighted Billy as a player they feared, probably because of the Scunthorpe connection, but they weren't wrong !
Nesty
why was Pell subbed?
Red Duke
Nesty wrote:why was Pell subbed?
He was on a yellow card and it was feared he could be sent off.
Nesty
I also note we only had 6 subs -
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I also note we only had 6 subs -
Injuries and suspensions, and too many loans for a match squad. We can only use three, I think six is plenty.
confused.com
I enjoyed that. Hope we move on from last two weeks
bennox
Very creative headline writer at Sky Sports:

http://www.skysports.com/football/chelt ... ley/359362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.skysports.com/football/grims ... ort/359375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Nesty wrote:I also note we only had 6 subs -
Smith was taken to be the 7th sub but had a hamstring niggle.

Also, Pell went off partly because he was on a yellow and kept being..."professional" with his use of falling over and partly because he was up front and AMS came on up there as he still needs match fitness.
Johnsons Red Army
Great win today and another step in the right direction :D .
Malabus
We will win the title.
Shade
Malabus wrote:We will win the title.
Probably. We've had our dip for the season, at the start like last season. Just wait for Carlisle and Plymouth to have theirs.

:lol:
Shade
Seriously though, now we're nearly back to full strength and you see the teams we still have to play in the first half of the season, I fully expect us to be up on the verge of the play offs by December, bearing in mind we will probably only be 4 or so points off them if we beat Blackpool next weekend, and well in them by the start of January, unless we have another injury crisis. The top 3 are looking kinda set already, but 4th-6th is there for the taking, before maybe a late assault can be made on any wobblers above that.
Nesty
looking at the starting XI now it is a shame that injuries and suspension robbed us of Downes, Storer and Munns
THECHOIRBOY
Interesting that about two weeks ago half the forum were saying Downes was passed it though! What a difference two results make.
Shade
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Interesting that about two weeks ago half the forum were saying Downes was passed it though! What a difference two results make.
To be fair, he did get done a couple of times by Bogle on Saturday, but now he's up to speed and has others at the back with him he's part of a defence as good as, if not better than, most defences in this division.
horlickfanclub
He is heading the ball superbly but will still struggle against top strikers on the ground. Could we play a more attacking formation by dropping a centre half or is our formation geared to covering defensive weaknesses? Until we can play 4 4 2 at home we will not score enough goals to challenge for the playoffs.
Shade
Why not? As a 4-4-2, I would say our full backs won't get as far forward, but if we have a 5-3-2 we have potentially more players getting forward as only the 3 centre backs stay deep, as opposed to 4 defenders in the 4-4-2. We still have two up front in either system.
Robin
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Interesting that about two weeks ago half the forum were saying Downes was passed it though! What a difference two results make.
I didn't go on Saturday but I understood Grimsby played only one striker (Bogle) and I do feel if we play Downes then it must be one of three centre halves (ideally Dickie and O'Shaugnessy) but pleased to see him making the step up as he's a great leader.
kags
Watching the highlights it looked like Downes was left exposed a couple of times against Bogle and we were lucky. Parlsow and Cranston errors gave them a couple of good chances as well, would go Downes, Dickie and O'S v Blackpool.
Overall though the return of Downes and Storer has been a tonic, much needed experience/leadership in the spine of the team was the difference last season.
paperboy
Aaron's not in the team to catch pigeons,he's there to dominate in the air just like Anton Vircavs,Boka Freeman and Steve Elliott before him.

and if it's not been mentioned elsewhere, Hurst has gone to Shrewsbury I see.