CTFC 750

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Saturday was Cheltenham Town's 750th game in the Football League (excluding play-off games)

I've been delving through the results and have worked out the full classified results.

Will be featuring a number of things / games / players over the next few days, including a look at the best and worst bosses.

But here is the full breakdown of results from those 750 games. http://bit.ly/CTFC750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
James from the Echo wrote:Saturday was Cheltenham Town's 750th game in the Football League (excluding play-off games)

I've been delving through the results and have worked out the full classified results.

Will be featuring a number of things / games / players over the next few days, including a look at the best and worst bosses.

But here is the full breakdown of results from those 750 games. http://bit.ly/CTFC750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting. Of course, be good to split out L1 and L2. E.g. Downing has a low percentage, but all at a higher level. Cotterill is the opposite.
James from the Echo
I have split out Tier 3 and 4 by manager - you'll have to wait until later in the week...
asl
Excellent! The janitors were *twice* as good as Chuckle!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
James from the Echo wrote:I have split out Tier 3 and 4 by manager - you'll have to wait until later in the week...
Good stuff.
horlickfanclub
Good stuff? Statistics show Gary Johnson is a worse manager than Martin Allen. Hmm.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:Good stuff? Statistics show Gary Johnson is a worse manager than Martin Allen. Hmm.
From less than half the games and starting off with an horrendous squad. If GJ has/will have a worse record than MA after 53 games, then we can talk about stats showing GJ is worse than MA...
James from the Echo
Two more bits detailing the #CTFC750.

This time focusing on the 256 players to have played League football for the club.

Here are the top appearance makers: http://bit.ly/CTFC750-topplayers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here are the 'blink and you missed them' who made one start or less! http://bit.ly/CTFC750Blink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A team with Victory, Bird and Spencer in their prime would be great for the fans. Very few wore the shirt with more effort, pride or passion.
Shade
Indeed. I still feel like Birdy would have had another 60 or so games, a couple of seasons, with us if MA hadn't got rid.
James from the Echo
Had a few requests for the stats to be split by manager and compared in each division....

So here you are: http://bit.ly/CTFC750DivisionSplit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No surprise who has the best Tier 4 (League Two / Division Three) record, bit of a surprise as to who has the best in Tier 3.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That is a surprise to see Gould as highest in L1. Though I guess he did nearly pull off a miracle and keep us up after Alner left us doomed.

We were very competitive that season and ultimately it was losing points from winning positions which cost us. At least 54 points: I recall one Saturday Jeff Stelling on SoccerSaturday saying "And Bobby Gould must be pulling his hair out. His Cheltenham side have already thrown away 54 points from winning positions and it looks like being three more" when we went from 1-0 at Port Vale to 2-1 down. Super Jeff then got very excited when we turned it around and (I think) Alsop (88 min) securing a 3-2 win.

About 35 of those points came from free-kicks on edge of box or losing the ball near our area: Yates the culprit on nearly every occasion. I still view it as the season Yates took us down, not Gould.

And even when we won games the gods were against: who can forget the abominable Bristol City capitulation at home to Chesterfield?

Speaking of Bristol City, the 2-3 home defeat when Alsop headed against the bar which would have been a hat-trick for him and 3-1 with not long to go. Instead it stayed 2-1 and City scored two in the last five mins. After that I just felt we would never get any luck that season and we didn't.

I have not checked the tables, however it would not surprise me if that season we went down with Gould we actually got more points than in the season we stayed up with Downing and maybe would have been enough to keep us up in Ward's record season.
Shade
Yates' shot at Notts County on the last day. I was right behind it, curling all the way and just smacked the post...3 inches from an alternate reality (relegation the next season instead).
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I have not checked the tables, however it would not surprise me if that season we went down with Gould we actually got more points than in the season we stayed up with Downing and maybe would have been enough to keep us up in Ward's record season.
Using Nesty's great history site (link above) in 02/03 we went down with 48 points. We stayed up in 06/07 with 54 and 07/08 with 51 points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I have not checked the tables, however it would not surprise me if that season we went down with Gould we actually got more points than in the season we stayed up with Downing and maybe would have been enough to keep us up in Ward's record season.
Using Nesty's great history site (link above) in 02/03 we went down with 48 points. We stayed up in 06/07 with 54 and 07/08 with 51 points.
Thanks for checking and I forgot about Nesty's excellent site.

If only Gould had been there all season!