Where has James Young gone???

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
Still pulling his trousers up after yesterday??? :lol:

Sorry James nothing against you personally (Apart from laughing at your own jokes in interviews) but I do feel you clutch at straws with your interview questions........
bennox
Horteng wrote: Still pulling his trousers up after yesterday??? :lol:
Sorry Horteng, nothing against you personally (apart from laughing at your own jokes in posts), but for a post that's not meant personally, you managed to get quite a few digs in. A bit of an unnecessary thread all in all, don't you think?
James from the Echo
Still here. Trousers intact and at a respectable level.

As I said yesterday, had an amicable chat with GJ after the cameras stopped rolling. He understands my position as much as I understand his. We have different jobs to do.

Holding the usual Friday lunchtime webchat today at 1pm. Feel free to drop in and ask me anything you want about that, the Cup tie at Sutton and other things CTFC.

Chat will start here from 1pm: http://bit.ly/CTFCpreFACupCHAT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FOD_Wyman_2010
Got to agree with bennox, what exactly is the point of this thread?

Whether or not you agree with the poll, James believed he was doing his job at the time and I commend him for that.

I for one like to call a spade a spade. The performances in the last two games in particular have not been up to league two level and its become clear over the months that the current squad as it sits is not good enough to perform to the consistency required. The manager has said so himself and that players will be leaving in January. As soon as he makes that comment, it is inevitable you are going to get debate from both supporters and media. Why let GJ make that comment without criticism and then criticize the subsequent debate?

Now it may not be particularly tactful to name players individually but at the same time, we should not be afraid to give an accurate representation of the job somebody is doing as paying customers. If I provide a service that is not up to standard then my customers will do the same. No the poll will not represent everyone but the sample was considerable (450ish?). I am not going to happy clap the players off every game regardless of the result and performance. I did that in 2014 and look where that got us. Yes of course these players earned a shot in the league on the basis of last year but its time to call it as it is before political correctness relegates us again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Point of this thread seems to be the same as the infamous poll. There is none, other than to cause a stir by insulting people on the internet and causing arguments there is no need to be having.

Only difference is James Young stirred it up and undermined morale and unity in pursuit of profit for Trinity Mirror whereas Horteng has done it in defense of his club and to criticise those who he views as doing the club a disservice.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Point of this thread seems to be the same as the infamous poll. There is none, other than to cause a stir by insulting people on the internet and causing arguments there is no need to be having.

Only difference is James Young stirred it up and undermined morale and unity in pursuit of profit for Trinity Mirror whereas Horteng has done it in defense of his club and to criticise those who he views as doing the club a disservice.
It might sound like dream job, but James will be under constant pressure from above to come up with the goods, so being controversial is a good place to start.

Think Geoffrey Boycott,Michael Vaughan, Jeremy Clarkson etc
Shade
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Point of this thread seems to be the same as the infamous poll. There is none, other than to cause a stir by insulting people on the internet and causing arguments there is no need to be having.

It might sound like dream job, but James will be under constant pressure from above to come up with the goods, so being controversial is a good place to start.

Difference is that those 3 say what THEY think/what they think will cause people to talk, and don't ask the public to vote on things. It's getting a kob to declare certain people aren't good enough that is the real issue here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:

I would not call it a dream job in the slightest. Would hate to have to abandon my integrity and debase myself to the level which Shade describes for no constructive reason.
Tewkesbury Robin
I can`t help but feel that this has blown out of all proportion.

Gary Johnson provoked this survey by commenting that there were some players who were playing for their futures. All the local newspaper has done is canvas fans for their opinion as to who might be potentially under threat. I accept the point that some of the fringe players might be demoralised by the results of this poll. Having said this those players are on the bench or not involved for a reason. conversely some of the players who have slipped out of favour recently such as Barthram and Munns might be gratified to learn that the fans still hold them in high regard.

Gary and James seems to have resolved the issue amicably so that should be an end to the debate. Roll on tomorrow and hopefully the players proving some of their doubters wrong!
FOD_Wyman_2010
Tewkesbury Robin wrote:I can`t help but feel that this has blown out of all proportion.

Gary Johnson provoked this survey by commenting that there were some players who were playing for their futures. All the local newspaper has done is canvas fans for their opinion as to who might be potentially under threat. I accept the point that some of the fringe players might be demoralised by the results of this poll. Having said this those players are on the bench or not involved for a reason. conversely some of the players who have slipped out of favour recently such as Barthram and Munns might be gratified to learn that the fans still hold them in high regard.

Gary and James seems to have resolved the issue amicably so that should be an end to the debate. Roll on tomorrow and hopefully the players proving some of their doubters wrong!
Superb post.
Horteng
James from the Echo wrote:Still here. Trousers intact and at a respectable level.

As I said yesterday, had an amicable chat with GJ after the cameras stopped rolling. He understands my position as much as I understand his. We have different jobs to do.

Holding the usual Friday lunchtime webchat today at 1pm. Feel free to drop in and ask me anything you want about that, the Cup tie at Sutton and other things CTFC.

Chat will start here from 1pm: http://bit.ly/CTFCpreFACupCHAT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good to know James..... Jut thought it was strange that there were no links posted to this weeks pre match interviews..... First time this season I believe.

Just a coincidence I'm sure :?
Malabus
Journalists got to be ruthless and tread on the thin line carefully. James isn't doing nowt wrong IMO.
drgm
James is doing a good job and will continue to do a good job long after Gary has gone

Gary has been questioning whether his squad has what is required for League 2 almost right from the start
of the campaign. With the transfer window just a month away you can hardly blame him for doing his job
as a journalist
Reliant Robin
Sorry to disagree, but I do think the Echo got this one badly wrong. I'm a supporter of journalists doing their jobs and I have always defended the Echo journalists in the past on this forum.

It is up to Gary Johnson as Manager of the Team to decide who is not up to standard and I am sure he has told relevant individuals that their performances have not been consistent enough for this level. He is showing them what is required and if they can 'up' their consistency levels, they have a future at the Club. If not, they leave. That is football.

What is totally wrong in my opinion is for others outside of the Club to muscle in through a voting system to say which Players we, as fans, want out of the Club. Since Gary Johnson has been at the Club he has worked incredibly hard to bring in Players using his due diligence test to select Players that will have an excellent rapport with the fans, and we only have to look back to May 2016 when we all celebrated together, to see how that absolutely worked 100%. Now we have a situation that has brought a lot of our Players into focus as not being wanted by the fans. That is incredibly undermining of everything Gary Johnson has achieved, it is undermining of squad morale, of Player confidence, and will damage Player-to-fan rapport. If I was one of those Players on the voting list, how would I feel about the fans now? And it is likely that several of the Players on the list are not those Gary Johnson wants to move on. I think back to the witch hunt by fans that went on a few years back, after Scotty Brown revealed that a player wasn't trying in training.

I am not convinced that arranging a poll is good journalism and I don't see how people can think it is. It stirs up dissent amongst fans, especially those who are easily lead. There is nothing wrong with a journalist expressing an opinion about the suitability of particular Players, but that is then a view of a single person. By widening the opinion to include the fans, and I gather there were something like 400+ responses which is almost 25% of our core fanbase (that expressed an opinion) and getting it published, is deeply damaging not just to the Players concerned, but also undermines the efforts of the Club to attract new investment and new fans because it implies some form of problem at the Club. It could also undermine efforts to recruit new Players in January. It was a shameful episode and could not have come at a worse time in the season when so much depends on the next few games, especially the Cup match v Sutton. If we fail today, I think the infamous poll would have had a detrimental effect to some extent on the Team and its preparation for this game. I hope I am wrong.
Ralph
Reliant Robin wrote: I am not convinced that arranging a poll is good journalism and I don't see how people can think it is. It stirs up dissent amongst fans, especially those who are easily lead. .
It's lazy "journalism" and the only thing it can do is possibly cause the boo boys (who were probably not even born when we got into the FL) to abuse the players at the top of the poll still further. This can only damage us as a team.
leohoenig
James Young was named man of the the match for Cwmbran Celtic last night, (they lost 2-1)
I-Love-CTFC
James Young will be running a poll on whether it's Johnson in or out this week.
London Exile
Can we stop blaming James Young for another below par display from our players and the manager yet?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well rather than the usual asinine questions and poundshop polls let us see JY prove local journalism is fit for purpose with tough and blunt questions put to GJ about today's disgrace.
I-Love-CTFC
London Exile wrote:Can we stop blaming James Young for another below par display from our players and the manager yet?
I think he was well within his rights to run that poll. I'm by no means his biggest fan but I don't think he was at fault. Gary Johnson was clearly rattled and the pressure may be starting to get to him by deflecting the blame elsewhere.
I-Love-CTFC
Interestingly, no players were made available to give interviews today.
theidlerich
I'm not surprised, they were probably speechless!

ps To PB, don't do any signings next week.....