Where does this rank amongst our worst results?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Worst result in recent times?

Conceding 8 at Crewe
27%
3-6 at home to Peterborough
No votes
Hereford 3-0 (Stevie G hat trick)
5%
Stevanage 5-1 CTFC (2014/15 - Deacon who humiliated us today scored for Stevenage. His only goal for them.
No votes
Tamworth (Cup)
27%
Dover (Cup)
9%
Havant & Waterlooville (Cup)
No votes
Altrincham (last season)
5%
Colchester 2016
No votes
Sutton (Cup) 2016
27%

Total votes: 22
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Some contenders from recent years here. Feel free to suggest others.
Shade
I wish you'd never learnt how to make polls.

Sutton are technically only 15 places below us.
Hubert Parry
I think they have also beaten some pretty big teams/clubs at home (including FGR recently?). It is not a surprising result. They are a team with fielded Nicky Bailey and Matt Tubbs - no mugs.

This result, in reality, is no worse than losing to Altrincham or Braintree last season.
The Old TomCat
Shade wrote:I wish you'd never learnt how to make polls.

Sutton are technically only 15 places below us.
As a neutral observer, that thought also went through my mind.
Polls are horrible especially so quick after set back when those who respond do so in hot blood.

BTW as Shade correctly state that Sutton are only 15 places below CTFC but they also put FGR to the sword in earlier round at a time when FGR were top of Conference table.
Sutton seem to raise their game for FA Cup.
bigdavejambo
what was bad about the Havant and Waterlooville result?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:what was bad about the Havant and Waterlooville result?
We drew 3-3.
Peter Griffin
Nowhere near our worst result. Disappointing but it won't go down as one of our darkest days.

I've always said this will be an up and down season. We'll have good spells and bad spells. But ultimately we will be fine. We will start 2017-18 in League 2.
Del Boy
Peter Griffin wrote:Nowhere near our worst result. Disappointing but it won't go down as one of our darkest days.

I've always said this will be an up and down season. We'll have good spells and bad spells. But ultimately we will be fine. We will start 2017-18 in League 2.
Had plenty of 'down' when are we going to have the 'up'?

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself we will be alright. Two years ago we had won six games by this point - anyone who doesn't think we are in deep trouble is deluded.
Robin
Agree although highly embaressing the effort from the players was there and we literally got caught by a sucker punch right at the death. I'm extremely down and upset by the result but relegation out of the league, the Crewe debacle and Tamworth were far worse in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
May have been a sucker punch but Sutton should have been on the canvas and out of arms reach by then.

Effort, luck, chances, gears, goal timings, etc: none of it matters. Game we had to win and we didn't and that has caused financial damage to our season which cannot be rectified no matter where we finish in the league.
Robin
At half time the common consensus was how many we would win by as the result never looked in doubt. Even with ten minutes to go people were expecting us to find a winner. I refuse to slam the players when they clearly put in the effort in even though they failed to kill the game off and got undone by a couple of bits of poor defending - it's obvious confidence is shot right now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am not questioning the effort nor am I slamming anyone. Easy first half, errors, confidence, etc: again words and excuses which do not hide the fact it was a disastrous result.

This can't be viewed as a league game where performance, effort, dominance etc are important in the context of a season and a defeat can be something to take a positive from and build on. This was a second round cup tie vs non-league opponents. No one cares if we played well or not well, were robbed or outplayed, etc. All that matters is the result. And it is a dire result. Even a storming run to automatic promotion will not make up for the lost prize money and chance to be in the Round 3 or even Round 4 draw. The game had to be won and it wasn't and there are no excuses to be made and the result can not be defended.
Malabus
Tamworth...I was there and it was DIRE!!!
FOD_Wyman_2010
Crewe.

I would say the Colchester result was worse than Sutton personally but still some way behind Crewe.