Boycott the Echo!

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cheltsaxon
this paper are a disgrace front page news of an event that didn't happen no playground caught fire at all ok some idiot set a flare off in a field but again no proof that it was Chelt fans, the echo don't care how much damage they do to the club by orinting such slanderous headlines. The poll the other week was another joke of theirs boycott the Echo and ban there reporters from the club!
longmover
You're going down a very dark road by banning local reporters from the club, I don't think many people appreciate how important objective reporting of our local teams are.
Malabus
Be all forgotten tomorrow.
cheltsaxon
why should it be the met police confirmed there was no incident so why are the echo allowed to print such rubbish tarring our club and its supporters??
andgarod
Because we live in the UK
You say it didn't happen but that a flare was thrown hmmmm
Now just let it go as I believe the echo has asked the club for details
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Echo have always been pro-Tory and anti-urban development.

These non-football related stories on the front page (like MA and the bouncer: also dismissed by police as untrue) are purely to discredit the club and by association Cllr Paul Baker, Lib Dem. If Mr Baker ever tries to lead the Council the Echo will use stories like this against him.

Similarly for development. The case against a new stand and development is easier if Tory Council candidates can say that it is just to pander to flare throwing yobs with the Echo to back them up.

This has nothing to do with football and is purely politically motivated.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 05 Dec 2016, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
I have to say the Echo is doing it's best to replicate the gutter press by the day, I appreciate their sports coverage but it appears this article is inaccurate and damaging for the club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I have to say the Echo is doing it's best to replicate the gutter press by the day, I appreciate their sports coverage but it appears this article is inaccurate and damaging for the club.
What do you mean 'replicate'? It was owned by the Daily Mail and General Trust until 2012, and since then by Trinity Mirror so it has always been very much part of the gutter press.
Artemis
Don't blame the media, they're simply giving the Gloucestershire public want they want to read about.
If that's stereo typed young objectionables in a football related story (to cries of 'it wasn't like that in my day'), then so be it. It sells to a readership firmly ensconced in the 1980s.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Don't blame the media, they're simply giving the Gloucestershire public want they want to read about.
If that's stereo typed young objectionables in a football related story (to cries of 'it wasn't like that in my day'), then so be it. It sells to a readership firmly ensconced in the 1980s.
Of course we should blame the media. Just because the Glos public want to read it, does not excuse journalists making up or sensationalising stories to pander to said public. There is no excuse for gutter journalism.
longmover
the public get the press they want.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed. But does not make it right.

Just a shame when grubby politics motivates discrediting of a well run community organisation like CTFC.

I expect a) Clive G to release a statement as FED to refute the false allegations made by Echo staff against fans and b) JY/JP to write a back page article supporting the CTFC fans to prove that the Sportsdesk at the Echo is independent from the News/Politics editors.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed. But does not make it right.

Just a shame when grubby politics motivates discrediting of a well run community organisation like CTFC.

I expect a) Clive G to release a statement as FED to refute the false allegations made by Echo staff against fans and b) JY/JP to write a back page article supporting the CTFC fans to prove that the Sportsdesk at the Echo is independent from the News/Politics editors.
It's you who's bringing politics into it. The last time I checked, Trinity Mirror's flagship was as opposed to the majority party in CBC as Paul Baker is.

Its simply sensationalist headlines aimed at the moral minority who read the front pages of the local rag. I never said it was right - but in the same way that the public get the politicians they deserve, same with the press.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed. But does not make it right.

It's you who's bringing politics into it. The last time I checked, Trinity Mirror's flagship was as opposed to the majority party in CBC as Paul Baker is.

Its simply sensationalist headlines aimed at the moral minority who read the front pages of the local rag. I never said it was right - but in the same way that the public get the politicians they deserve, same with the press.
TM owned, but the editors of the Echo hark after the DM days: definitely a Tory rag and always look to dig the knife into the LD party.
confused.com
Of course if some moron had not brought the flare and thrown it, in the first place. There would be no chance of any misunderstanding
Horteng
Youngy will be reprimanded Thursday no doubt