Jonny Hayes

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Forgotten all about him !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38584813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wasn't he the player Martin Allen subbed after about 15 minutes at Millwall in '08/09 ?
baggy89
Has developed in to Aberdeen's (probably) most important player and never hides even if he's having an off day. If he does have an off day you can generally be sure Aberdeen have an off day. Funnily enough I guess Marley Watkins was his replacement at Caley.

As for the article, Cardiff can f#!$ off for anything less than £2 million in this window. In fact as far as I'm, concerned, I'd rather he stayed till he retires so Cardiff can just f#!$ off.

Was speaking to him after the Partick game between Christmas and New Year last season. Asked him about Martin Allen. I was fairly tanked on the complimentary booze so unsurprisingly he didn't have a huge amount of time for me, but said although he wasn't signed on loan till after most of the notorious incidents (toast, roundabout etc) they were true, and had a bit of a laugh about it. I think he was secretly pleased not to be talking purely about the Dons :lol:.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
baggy89 wrote:Has developed in to Aberdeen's (probably) most important player and never hides even if he's having an off day. If he does have an off day you can generally be sure Aberdeen have an off day. Funnily enough I guess Marley Watkins was his replacement at Caley.

As for the article, Cardiff can f#!$ off for anything less than £2 million in this window. In fact as far as I'm, concerned, I'd rather he stayed till he retires so Cardiff can just f#!$ off.

Was speaking to him after the Partick game between Christmas and New Year last season. Asked him about Martin Allen. I was fairly tanked on the complimentary booze so unsurprisingly he didn't have a huge amount of time for me, but said although he wasn't signed on loan till after most of the notorious incidents (toast, roundabout etc) they were true, and had a bit of a laugh about it. I think he was secretly pleased not to be talking purely about the Dons :lol:.
I would imagine £2m would be too much for an SPL side to turn down, and chance of Championship footy too much for an SPL player to resist.
baggy89
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I would imagine £2m would be too much for an SPL side to turn down, and chance of Championship footy too much for an SPL player to resist.

Might have been true three of four years ago, but a lot of SPL sides are no longer in debt. So English Championships sides will have to pay the going rate.

Unless, of course, it's a club/company that is surviving month to month with questionable "soft" loans from questionable sources provided by questionable directors, in which case I'm sure they would snap the hands off clubs making offers like that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
baggy89 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I would imagine £2m would be too much for an SPL side to turn down, and chance of Championship footy too much for an SPL player to resist.

Might have been true three of four years ago, but a lot of SPL sides are no longer in debt. So English Championships sides will have to pay the going rate.

Unless, of course, it's a club/company that is surviving month to month with questionable "soft" loans from questionable sources provided by questionable directors, in which case I'm sure they would snap the hands off clubs making offers like that.
The 'going rate' for a good L2/L1 player is not £2million.
horlickfanclub
Cardiif are not in League 1 or 2 so what is the relevance of that comment please?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Cardiif are not in League 1 or 2 so what is the relevance of that comment please?
The player in question is at Aberdeen, who I was referring to.

I would not expect Cardiff to view £2m as the going rate for buying a player from the top of L2 or L1, and as the SPL is the same level then the same applies.
horlickfanclub
The point is that if Cardiff sign him he will be playing in the Championship so his fee will reflect that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
G G T T H wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Cardiif are not in League 1 or 2 so what is the relevance of that comment please?
The player in question is at Aberdeen, who I was referring to.

I would not expect Cardiff to view £2m as the going rate for buying a player from the top of L2 or L1, and as the SPL is the same level then the same applies.
Would one please inform us on how one comes to this conclusion in regards to levels of the L2 & L1 comparing to the SPFL (as the SPL doesn't exist nowadays) ?
E.g Scott Brown leaves CTFC near the bottom of L2 for Aberdeen who in his time there were top three of the SPFL and then returns to L2 when leaves. Marley Watkins went from non-league to SPL, helped Inverness CT to top half finishes before being 'snapped up' by a L1 side. Apart from the best Celtic players (eg one was at Fulham in bottom 5 of the Championship last season) the players at SPFLare interchangeable with L1 at best, L2 and even Conference.

Not many L1 or L2 players move to the Championship for £2m. More often in the £100ks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
G G T T H wrote:Wow...!!! What a sensible and extremely informed way to come to your conclusion !! Maybe you should take in a few games north of the Tweed
Not travelling that far to watch L1/L2 level football if I don't support one of the teams.
horlickfanclub
You conveniently swerve the fact that Marley Watkins is now playing in the Championship as are Cardiff.
baggy89
Nothing against Scott Brown, but his performance in the League cup semi against Dundee Utd cost us at least a place in the final and the game against Celtic before the split that same season, cost us at least a good run at the title. A 20 year old lad was brought in for the following season in Danny Ward from Liverpool to replace him, who was re-called after the Bogdan horror show, and Scott Brown once again was not good enough to provide the quality needed to have another run at the title. He was then released. I think it can be ascertained that he did not meet the standard for a top two SPFL side.

Marley Watkins played for Caley a small SPFL side who usually punch above their weight mid table. Was arguably not their most important player. He now plays in the Championship.

I think the difference in prize money between 2nd and 3rd is £500k and Hayes has the quality to make that difference plus he has 18 months on his contract. Warnock obviously agrees so must pay the going rate.

6 months ago they apparently paid close to £2 million for a similar aged player playing in a similar position (who they have now released), ergo that appears to be the going rate. In fact if they've released Immers to sign Hayes he's arguably worth more, unless Warnock thought he could offer a bag of peanuts and a half eaten mars bar and we'd say thank you very much. Derby paid £4 million for Anya, at least Hayes has an end product.

Realistically if clubs like Wigan, Hull, Bournemouth, Watford, Birmingham, Wolves, Blackpool, Cardiff, Swansea, Derby, Preston, Norwich, Ipswich, Blackburn, Bolton, Bradford, West Brom, Burnley, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Reading, QPR, Fulham.... can play in the EPL so could Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Haha love to see those three in the EPL next season. Could be the first time three clubs are all relegated before Gold Cup week.
baggy89
It's irrelevent as certainly Aberdeen and I'd guess Hearts and Hibs have no interest in joining the ENGLISH leagues. Regardless of the monies on offer just for being a dross also ran, such as the teams I have already mentioned. I think you can say football is officially no longer a sport when c!#p like Cardiff can attract players from teams like Aberdeen while offering no chance of winning the league or playing in Europe. Perhaps once the "big" teams bugger off to a Harlem Globetrotter esque closed shop "European Super League" and the TV money for said dross dries up the deluded fools buying into the self proclaimed "Greatest League in the world" might make up. Probably not though, as I'm sure they will all suddenly remember they don't support Cardiff or Bournemouth and are actually big Real Madrid or Man U fans...

One thing the mercan's have always got right is their sport. The way it's set up means it's genuinely a sport and not a who's got the biggest pockets competition.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I agree with your sentiment and conclusion on the demise of football due to money.

Used to love seeing Rangers and Celtic being amongst Europe's elite due to the large crowds and doing well in Europe.

Having four teams going into the Champions League only accelerated the problem. I would love it go down to two teams per league and more leagues represented in the competition. Fed up of seeing trophyless bottlers like Arsenal or whichever team sneaks fourth in Spain getting through the quarters when some national champions will never even get to the group stage.