Land Swap deal still on

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/co ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
I just hope that any new stand increases capacity, ideally the new stand will be 3000 at least so we can give the In2print to away fans. We can then use the current away end as a family stand or even close it on low attended games much as Crewe do.

This would mean we can maximise revenue for big games but being able to cater to more away fans 1900 rather than the current 1200 or so. Increase segregation and thus ensuring safety for everyone.
Shade
Have you just copied and pasted that post from 18-24 months ago, Robin :P
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
3,000 makes business sense.
Johnsons Red Army
What is the capacity of the current main stand, out of interest (including the standing areas below the seats)?
Reliant Robin
Johnsons Red Army wrote:What is the capacity of the current main stand, out of interest (including the standing areas below the seats)?
Seating for 1,068
Paddock 704
Tunnel Enclosure 370, plus some room for disabled fans
Robin
Exactly so am extra 1000 makes sense knowing that we often sell out the home seats for bigger games.
Johnsons Red Army
Reliant Robin wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:What is the capacity of the current main stand, out of interest (including the standing areas below the seats)?
Seating for 1,068
Paddock 704
Thank you :)
vickeryc
Reliant Robin wrote:
Seating for 1,068
Paddock 704
What about the small standing areas either side of the main stand?
Robin
You mean the canteen and tunnel enclosures?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And the uncovered bit of the C&G.
Robin
I always assumed that little corner bit wouldn't be impacted by the new stand as you have the entrance right behind it but they could move the entrance to the other side of the toilets and build part of the stand there. I just hope the stand is bigger than the In2Print in height otherwise the look of the ground will feel strange, we need a mainstand to impose.
horlickfanclub
We just need the stand extended either end , a new roof and take out some rows to create extra leg room for some of the seats. That would do us for now.
Robin
Horlick we get one shot at this, any new development needs to be with one eye on achieving our future aspirations otherwise we will lose out longer term.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed. A proper job needs to be done. No fudges.
Fuller
It is not about the capacity it's about the other revenue streams that any new stand would bring.

Let's face it even if we were challenging at the top of League One we would not get crowds of more than 6,000. It is just not going to happen in sleepy old Cheltenham.

Anyway has anyone out there got a spare £8 to 10 million in their back pocket ...... Either that or a complete change in the structure or ownership of the club.
Robin
I'd argue it is about capacity, we know several teams particularly in league one can bring greater numbers than we can offer and we also know that we can sell out our own seating allocation for bigger games (we even did this in the conference several times). If we can therefore build a modest 3500 capacity main stand that would fix both issues as we could give the In2Print to away fans also implementing better segregation. The benefit of which means when we also have big games like in the cups or potentially if we were to challenge at the top end of league one we could get 8500 in the ground rather than 7000.

Of course the new stand should mean more executive boxes and hopefully some office space too so we can maximise non-match day revenue too.
Shade
I don't see why there's a slight debate about what it should be. If it's a new stand it should have the capacity AND the facilities for other revenue streams, no question.
horlickfanclub
A flexible design would not be "just one shot" Robin.
Robin
Of course it will Horlick there is very limited space to build it just doesn't make sense to build a new stand unless it increases the overall capacity and gives us off the field revenue in line with our longer term aspirsations ideally as a progressive league one side.
vickeryc
Fuller wrote:It is not about the capacity it's about the other revenue streams that any new stand would bring.

Let's face it even if we were challenging at the top of League One we would not get crowds of more than 6,000. It is just not going to happen in sleepy old Cheltenham.

Anyway has anyone out there got a spare £8 to 10 million in their back pocket ...... Either that or a complete change in the structure or ownership of the club.
Sorry Fuller, although you're dead right about the need to create revenue streams, the rest of your post is defeatist and exudes the sort of mentality that would ensure we never progress any further than we're at now. We do need to increase the capacity (within reason) even if it's only to facilitate larger away followings. It's chucking money away to restrict the likes of Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Plymouth to 1200 odd when they might bring nearly double that number.

Moreover, whilst acknowledging the Cheltenham public's apathy towards the club, I still believe that creating modern accommodation for supporters would help to encourage more home support in the long run. Even lowly clubs like Chesterfield have seen substantially increased home attendances after moving/improving grounds.

In terms of capacity, it seems the existing main stand plus the various enclosures total around 2,500. Therefore, a new main stand of 3,000 (along the full length of the ground) would produce a meagre 500 increase, boosting overall capacity to just 7,500. I don't think that's nearly ambitious enough and would favour a new stand accommodating somewhere nearer 4,000.

If things were to go really well, then I believe it would be possible to consider increasing capacity of the PRE by cantilevering over the stream to the rear. Of course, one shouldn't bite off more than can be chewed and it's necessary to take one step at a time. As Fuller implies, in his own way, the first step in the club's Renaissance would be to work out how to finance the first phase.
everyman
vickeryc wrote:
Fuller wrote:It is not about the capacity it's about the other revenue streams that any new stand would bring.

Sorry Fuller, although you're dead right about the need to create revenue streams, the rest of your post is defeatist and exudes the sort of mentality that would ensure we never progress any further than we're at now. We do need to increase the capacity (within reason) even if it's only to facilitate larger away followings. It's chucking money away to restrict the likes of Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Plymouth to 1200 odd when they might bring nearly double that number.

Moreover, whilst acknowledging the Cheltenham public's apathy towards the club, I still believe that creating modern accommodation for supporters would help to encourage more home support in the long run. Even lowly clubs like Chesterfield have seen substantially increased home attendances after moving/improving grounds.

In terms of capacity, it seems the existing main stand plus the various enclosures total around 2,500. Therefore, a new main stand of 3,000 (along the full length of the ground) would produce a meagre 500 increase, boosting overall capacity to just 7,500. I don't think that's nearly ambitious enough and would favour a new stand accommodating somewhere nearer 4,000.

If things were to go really well, then I believe it would be possible to consider increasing capacity of the PRE by cantilevering over the stream to the rear. Of course, one shouldn't bite off more than can be chewed and it's necessary to take one step at a time. As Fuller implies, in his own way, the first step in the club's Renaissance would be to work out how to finance the first phase.
I think if we ever need to we could make a new stand wrap around to the pre.as above cantilever over stream,making the walkway at the front pitchside.
London Exile
I agree that an ideal capacity would be something around 3-4k but I'd like to see a 2 tier stand with 2k seats along the top and 2k standing below. This would hopefully push our overall capacity up around 8k but without seeing lots of empty red seats each week!

I'd also bulldoze everything on that side of the ground from the away changing room extension up including the club shop and security tower but then build a new changing room block in that far corner with security and policing tower above that. This way you'd have the whole of the new main stand to incorporate facilities for fans and plenty of non match day revenue streams.

Regarding financing I thought part of that would come from attracting development partners and businesses committing to renting our commercial space in the new stand.
Last edited by London Exile on 27 Feb 2017, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
London Exile
everyman wrote: If things were to go really well, then I believe it would be possible to consider increasing capacity of the PRE by cantilevering over the stream to the rear. Of course, one shouldn't bite off more than can be chewed and it's necessary to take one ste
I think if we ever need to we could make a new stand wrap around to the pre.as above cantilever over stream,making the walkway at the front pitchside.
Regarding the PRE I think irrespective of the main stand development, some improvements needs to be made here. I've spoken to a couple of different people and it seems to get ignored but IMO, the £16 it costs for a ticket in there is poor for the facilities on offer.
I know we are essentially there for the football but time and again the chairman talks about matchday experience which in my mind encompasses the facility on offer. The PRE severely lacks that. I've recently emailed someone to suggest they empty the current groundsman shipping container and convert that to a new bar. Wouldn't cost a huge sum and would at least provide shelter from the elements behind the goal
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The facilities at WR are poor for the prices charged. Even in hospitality the drinks choice is poor with a couple of choices of cans/bottles at £3 a pop.

No bar in the C&G.

Even after the the refurb the Nest is dated with the furniture, carpets and ceiling.

And with the pitch as well, there is little quality on offer anywhere at the ground apart from the In2P view of the pitch. £20 quid for the old stand, with no leg room, pillars and panels blocking the view, no facilities to speak off, and 90 mins of watching poor football on an horrendous pitch. I am astonished anyone bothers.

Cut prices, or invest in better facilities. Gates will continue to fall if not.
vickeryc
A rather gloomy picture painted by RCS, but unfortunately fairly realistic. What it shows - rather like town centres - is that you can't afford to rest on your laurels for too long if you want to move forward, or even - dare I say - maintain your current status. It would be tragic to see the miracles achieved by the club over the last couple of decades thrown away through a lack of vision.
Del Boy
vickeryc wrote:A rather gloomy picture painted by RCS, but unfortunately fairly realistic. What it shows - rather like town centres - is that you can't afford to rest on your laurels for too long if you want to move forward, or even - dare I say - maintain your current status. It would be tragic to see the miracles achieved by the club over the last couple of decades thrown away through a lack of vision.
It's more likely lack of money rather than lack of vision.
vickeryc
Probably true Del, but without a vision (which can be long term and flexible) there's no way anything will happen other than a piecemeal, patchwork, approach. By having a well thought-through vision in place, opportunities can present themselves to help finance future improvements, which may otherwise never materialise.
Robin
Well we need to find that money if we are to return to league one and stabilise there. The fact is we have one of the smallest grounds in the football league, unable to cater for decent away followings and have little non-match day revenue. It's therefore vital that the board find the investment to get a decent 3000+ stand built.
darreno
I am astonished anyone bothers.
Because we are all true fans, aren't we?