Headline

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Headline in local Doncaster sports paper. "Quality over Physicality", I should hope they did have more quality than us with a £6m budget, but to say we were too physical, i dont get that.
Nesty
the problem with "physicality" could be seen in the Chelsea vs Man U game last night. One player commits 2 fouls - neither major and gets 2 yellows, another fouls loads of times, dives, gives it large and gets one yellow - ie its all down to these idiots with the whistle, and which team leaves the fattest brown envelope (allegedly)
Robin
Surely they don't have a £6 million budget? That sounds bottom third Championship level to me rather than league two.
little mo
Robin wrote:Surely they don't have a £6 million budget? That sounds bottom third Championship level to me rather than league two.
Trust me Robin, yes they do.
Robin
That's insane at this level. I wonder what their revenue is, their gates are roughly double ours so I would guess total revenue around £3-4 million with gates and TV money.

Just thinking about it a bit more a £6 million budget means an average wage of £4500 per player on a squad of twenty five, that's Championship wages.
little mo
Yep. Also Orient have some players on 3k a week and a couple on 4k a week but still owe the taxman, madness.
kora
The Keepmoat gets used for Women's and B internationals as well as housing rugby league so their income is probably well above what league 2 brings in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And that £6m may be total budget for all staff and stadium costs. As a Championship team not long ago with an infrastructure geared for that level their running costs are likely to be more than ours.

As per the 'step up' thread, their stadium, infrastructure and operations are a different level from our own.
Reliant Robin
kora wrote:The Keepmoat gets used for Women's and B internationals as well as housing rugby league so their income is probably well above what league 2 brings in.
I wonder how our pitch would cope with Rugby League and Women's B Internationals in addition to a full League 2 season?

Maybe we need to be talking to their ground staff for some insights about how their pitch has been prepared.
Si Robin
They have a Desso turf pitch. The same as Swansea, Reading and other clubs that have rugby teams on their pitches.

Sadly, I think it's somewhat out of our price range.
Shade
PB said we've got the guys that do West Brom's pitch coming down at some point, I think.
andgarod
You only get what you pay for

On another thread someone said play passing football on Saturday, obviously hasnt been to WR for 5 months