Going to bed in a stronger position.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As you were in points, but a game ticked off and one fewer to play so we are in a stronger position tonight than we were this morning.
Malabus
I can sleep better tonight knowing that.
Oldun
I am bit more concerned than 24 hours ago. Newport have four very easy home games and according to SC on Sky yesterday they played well at Pompey and deserved at lest a point. If they were to win their four home games we need 6 or 7 more points. Newport fan line are saying the same about us being in freefall and them in with a chance. I fear that is about right. Where are the points coming from? As said elsewhere, Barnet and Cambridge were there for the taking; two terrible sides and we could not take advantage. Morecombe have lost 6 in a row...time for them to get their form back I guess!
Next week we need Stoz back and I would play Downsey too, to add leadership to the back five. The two younger lads with him can provide the pace needed and he can organise and lead (and knock in a goal from a corner too)
I'm not sleeping well!
Del Boy
We scored one goal in March. We've scored twice in a game just once in the last 11 games. We've scored the least goals out of everyone.

But don't worry we're not in any real danger and for a few weeks we had play-off form. And let's celebrate that the two teams below us both lost. How sad that's what it's come to.

I certainly hope we're planning a mass clear out in the summer.
Alf
I know that, as a player, I would feel more positive about the game in hand if the team was set up to attack rather than desperately defending the point that 0-0 gives us. If the unthinkable happens and we do go down I would like to think we went down fighting like #### for our league status, not going down with a whimper.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:We scored one goal in March. We've scored twice in a game just once in the last 11 games. We've scored the least goals out of everyone.

But don't worry we're not in any real danger and for a few weeks we had play-off form. And let's celebrate that the two teams below us both lost. How sad that's what it's come to.

I certainly hope we're planning a mass clear out in the summer.
Since November the aim of this season has been survival. Of course it is awful and not something to celebrate but when the aim now is finish third bottom or higher we have to pleased when the teams below us make that task easier.

I am sure PJ and GJ are already planning the overhaul.
confused.com
We may well survive this season, who knows. Month by month as summer turned to autumn and autumn turned to winter we were told that OK we are in the $hit but not to worry because the January recruitment will balance out the summer recruitment disaster. Here we are coming into April and still in the $hit. The sights of those who saw great things coming once we recruited in January are now aimed at hoping there are two teams worse than us in the league.
Apart from the odd moron, we all still turn up on a saturday in the hope of some kind pf upward movement in the league, but what used to be a 6 team mini league is now a 4 team mini league and we get the same people coming on here giving us the well done to A well done to B well done to C etc etc all we need to do now is get behind the team. Every Saturday 99.9% of teh crowd is behind the team, so I dont need anyone telling me to keep calm and all will be well.
Recruitment has by and large been poor, management has by and large been poor. Last year was last year. and in my honest opinion, the good will is just about running out (fully appreciating GJ current situation, bit not convinced him being present would have made any difference). If we do survive, this seasons management team need to be looked at, it shouldnt be a given that next year it stays the same.
Effort may be there, but we are poor in all departments and a couple of decent players are drowning in the mediocrity.
Can't wait for this season to be over, whatever the outcome. the feeling that we should be settling at this stage for being the 3rd most $hit team in the league, is laughable. laughable, but our only hope.
vickeryc
On the subject of management, it is interesting to note that, in the four games prior to Gary's enforced incapacity, we had amassed 10 points (no goals conceded). In the four games since, we have gained zero points and conceded 9 goals. We were also without Stoz in the last four games, but there's no doubt in my mind that Gary's absence has had a profound impact.
andgarod
Perhaps part of the change has been because we were scared we would lose Pell to suspension red card or further yellows. As well as this he was handed the captains band, perhaps to get him to calm down a bit. and he also appears to have been carrying a knock since his new contract. Basically we are 1 or 2 midfielders light. The problem is that we have tried to run with a squad of 18 and a few others. The result of this is no real competition
How do other teams manage?. We went over budget to get Davis in is that the reason we let Hall go.?
We have now lost Pike and diego. Kitcha didnt play today in the reserve match ( is he fit ) because we will not have Scotty in goal at Wycombe unless we have bought him since he joined but just cannot ratify the deal
Reliant Robin
confused.com wrote:We may well survive this season, who knows. Month by month as summer turned to autumn and autumn turned to winter we were told that OK we are in the $hit but not to worry because the January recruitment will balance out the summer recruitment disaster. Here we are coming into April and still in the $hit. The sights of those who saw great things coming once we recruited in January are now aimed at hoping there are two teams worse than us in the league.
Apart from the odd moron, we all still turn up on a saturday in the hope of some kind pf upward movement in the league, but what used to be a 6 team mini league is now a 4 team mini league and we get the same people coming on here giving us the well done to A well done to B well done to C etc etc all we need to do now is get behind the team. Every Saturday 99.9% of teh crowd is behind the team, so I dont need anyone telling me to keep calm and all will be well.
Recruitment has by and large been poor, management has by and large been poor. Last year was last year. and in my honest opinion, the good will is just about running out (fully appreciating GJ current situation, bit not convinced him being present would have made any difference). If we do survive, this seasons management team need to be looked at, it shouldnt be a given that next year it stays the same.
Effort may be there, but we are poor in all departments and a couple of decent players are drowning in the mediocrity.
Can't wait for this season to be over, whatever the outcome. the feeling that we should be settling at this stage for being the 3rd most $hit team in the league, is laughable. laughable, but our only hope.
Bravo confused.com - you've spotted the flaws in everything that's gone wrong for the Club this season. Now, if you can convince the keyboard warriors to turn their cosy fireside analytical skills into something positive by investing their boundless vocal energies into some physical help supporting The Robins Trust and doing everything possible to help turn around the Club's fortunes, we might even find the antidote for the mediocrity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:We may well survive this season, who knows. Month by month as summer turned to autumn and autumn turned to winter we were told that OK we are in the $hit but not to worry because the January recruitment will balance out the summer recruitment disaster. Here we are coming into April and still in the $hit. The sights of those who saw great things coming once we recruited in January are now aimed at hoping there are two teams worse than us in the league.
Just checked. The World is still spinning and no one has died.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Just checked. The World is still spinning and no one has died.

:) indeed and it didn't take us two pages to get there
confused.com
Reliant Robin wrote:
Bravo confused.com - you've spotted the flaws in everything that's gone wrong for the Club this season. Now, if you can convince the keyboard warriors to turn their cosy fireside analytical skills into something positive by investing their boundless vocal energies into some physical help supporting The Robins Trust and doing everything possible to help turn around the Club's fortunes, we might even find the antidote for the mediocrity.
RR - you seem to believe that there are two clearly divided parties. The one you align to, that post every week about time to pull together, time to get behind the team, execute the boo boys, heap praise upon praise on the club, spend every free minute doing something to help the club.
Then there is the other group, who boo the players, criticise the clubs every move, enjoy the dilemma the club is in and take pleasure in pointing this out.

Maybe, just maybe, there is another group of supporters. Who have been supporting the club for as long and maybe as longer than your good self. Who go out to work and decide to spend some of the money they earn on season tickets (to get the club through the summer), are stretched for free time, but pay in to the 500 club, buy raffle tickets on a Saturday. These folk, may also like to express their concerns, either while watching the match with those sat around them, or on Forums such as this. This does not make them anti- CTFC, this does not mean they sit in their cosy fireside chairs and do nothing to support the club.

My post you commented on, was written to highlight, that (almost used the term rose tinters), we have been told on here all season that all will be OK when X happens. Well X has happened a few times and to still believe that another X will certainly save us, is somewhat foolish. Be that us going on a winning streak or Newport or Hartlepool not doing us any favours.
We all hope that in 6 games time we are more than 3 points between us and the bottom 2 teams. To think anything else would be churlish.

RCS - you are correct, even if we do get relegated, the world won't stop spinning :)
andgarod
Is your last post not a self fufiling prophesy as it itself is a moaning post
Just saying :lol:
confused.com
Ben2 wrote:Confused, whilst I have been spectacularly wrong in my prediction for the season (I said we would finish between 3rd and 22nd but probably just outside play offs) (due to the obvious lack of quality that we had that I was told off for pointing out in July!) my point is this: what is the purpose of incessant whinging and griping?

I read incredible posts on this site where people say things like: 'What would I settle for in the next 4 games?'; I'd like to see a 4000 seater main stand'; 'Let's hope we win 3 of the next 4 (meaning I personally HOPE we lose one game, I look forward to it)

The point is that some posters, your good self included, live in a delusional world where your posts somehow affect reality. They don't. Most forums have comment on games and lively debate about players and incidents. Not on here. We have a group of hard core moaners who revel in our misfortune and predict defeat and doom so if it does happen they somehow seem 'wise'.

It's tiring to read and puts the public off the club. It's not a new phenomenon, those who see themselves as the true disciples moaning and griping at anyone outside their minute group.

I'd say to the moaning minority (5 or 6 people that dominate on here but make up 0.25% of our home gates) you cannot post things on here that make things happen i the real world. You CAN influence public opinion and therefore a bit of positivity wouldn't go amiss.

(Cue hardcore moaning minority outcry :roll: )
Won't even respond to that moronic comment.
confused.com
Ben2 wrote:MHaha no im only commenting on something I can have an effect on (but probably I can't in reality as I'd be like Cnut if I thought I could turn the tide of woe that some people seem to wallow in :lol: )
Get over yourself. The only thing that you can have an effect on, is the exact same as the rest of us. Buy your ST, buy the programme, but raffle tickets, join 500. And if living within a reasonable distance, join the Trust