discipline

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
our disciplinary record is poor to say the least - a lot of it senseless - like Pell today - another yellow and his season is finished.

do we have a fine system ? if not it needs one
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fine system?

That was a damn fine celebration. Worth the yellow to rile the Cods. Blame the rule, not Pell.

He did very well to avoid giving a foul away in the second half despite getting stuck in - a sign of discipline!
Malabus
I believe a yellow card is a £10 fine.
Shade
Used to be £7
theidlerich
If his and the press seemed to believe that he "was fired up" for Grimsby; then it was doubly stupid behaviour. The last thing we need is for him to obtain another yellow and sit out a game. Senseless and one that should have been nipped in the bud by our management. He played well; cracking goal too, but that was infantile!
Jerry St Clair
Yes, absolutely senseless and idiotic from Pell.

If a Grimsby fan had jumped over the barrier and got in his face, which was entirely plausible as there was only one steward there, and it had escalated into a serious incident, Pell would only have himself to blame.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rest Pell at Blackpool - or tell him to not make any tackles - then he can go full pelt against Hartlepool.

If he scores the winner against Pools I couldn't care less if he jumps into the away end and headbutts Jeff Stelling as it doesn't matter if he is available for Portsmouth or not.
cheltsaxon
get a grip you boring moaning lot he celebrated sith passion and he deserved to!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cheltsaxon wrote:get a grip you boring moaning lot he celebrated sith passion and he deserved to!
Great scenes. Definitely got the atmosphere going and added some spice which made the supporters more encouraging, which helps the team.

Though the elbow and McKeown did their own bits to get the CTFC fans vocal.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Rest Pell at Blackpool - or tell him to not make any tackles - then he can go full Pell against Hartlepool.

If he scores the winner against Pools I couldn't care less if he jumps into the away end and headbutts Jeff Stelling as it doesn't matter if he is available for Portsmouth or not.
Corrected that for you. And :lol:. Poor Jeff. He looked so annoyed yesterday when their bloke got sent off for going nose to nose with the ref.
I-Love-CTFC
Some people need to get a grip. It was a brilliant celebration. Their fans have dished nothing but abuse at him so he was perfectly entitled to give them some back. One of the best moments of the season.
Nesty
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Some people need to get a grip. It was a brilliant celebration. Their fans have dished nothing but abuse at him so he was perfectly entitled to give them some back. One of the best moments of the season.
so if he is booked again and misses vital games then that ok is it ? same as Storer missing vital games thanks to him being red carded was ok? brilliant celebration would have seen Pell running towards the home fans
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Some people need to get a grip. It was a brilliant celebration. Their fans have dished nothing but abuse at him so he was perfectly entitled to give them some back. One of the best moments of the season.
so if he is booked again and misses vital games then that ok is it ? same as Storer missing vital games thanks to him being red carded was ok? brilliant celebration would have seen Pell running towards the home fans
What vital games are you on about? There are only three games left.

If that concerned, rest him for Blackpool and then doesn't matter if he gets booked beating Hartlepool.
CTFCfan99
Anyone who watched that celebration and thought anything other than 'go on Pelly you f*cking hero' needs to lighten up a bit. One of the best yellow cards you will ever see.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:Anyone who watched that celebration and thought anything other than 'go on Pelly you f*cking hero' needs to lighten up a bit. One of the best yellow cards you will ever see.
Correct. Amazing stuff.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nesty wrote:
What vital games are you on about? There are only three games left.

If that concerned, rest him for Blackpool and then doesn't matter if he gets booked beating Hartlepool.
if he is banned for 3 games would they roll over to next season?

anyway the original point I made was that ill discipline has cost us this season. Ipso Facto.......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Why would another yellow result in three game ban?

The first game of next season is not vital. And especially once we have a full squad with two competing for every position one game missed is no big deal.

A great moment to provide respite and joy to the fans in the ground who have endured a dire low quality season. No need to try and find hypothetical negatives just for the sake of it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks for clarification.
Shade
It indeed does, and it would roll over to next season, the same as any suspension.
Reliant Robin
It's very easy to knock a 'silly' booking in the aftermath of the event. We fans get wound up on the terraces and in the stands by the antics of referees and some opposition players, and we have to accept (but not necessarily condone) the fact that our players will also get wound up over a situation and react unfavourably. It's human nature, testosterone, the heat of battle, but more importantly it's the fact that these guys are playing for the shirt and putting maximum effort into games for our Club. If none of them had picked up a booking this season as well as being at the wrong end of the table, I'm sure some of our posters would have criticised that as lack of commitment, or being 'soft'. I think we need to be more understanding of the bookings some of our Lads pick up. Pelle, Stoz and Wrighty for example are going to pick up more than a fair share of cards, but would you fault their effort? I think the effort and the risk of getting cards go hand in hand, because those guys will not roll over or turn the other cheek, these are guys you'd want next to you going into a battle. We would be much less of a Team without them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed RR. Nonsense thread.

Moments like Monday are what supporting your local side is all about.

Here is to more great scenes if we do Hartlepool over.

Like to see Holman score and take out all of his frustration from this season in his celebration.
Nesty
I must agree that in the context of the moment Pell's celebration was understandable. However the guys on the Radio were bemoaning how many red cards we have had this season etc etc , and I took my stance after listening to them
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I must agree that in the context of the moment Pell's celebration was understandable. However the guys on the Radio were bemoaning how many red cards we have had this season etc etc , and I took my stance after listening to them
Was it MH spitting snakes again?
Reliant Robin
Stoz for me epitomises why we should forgive 'indiscretions' on the football field. Without Stoz, what would our points tally have been? He's our most important player, a natural leader, an organiser driving the Team on, a protector, a winner, giving his absolute all for this Club - even if that occasionally means an overspill of aggression.

This is why I voted for Kyle Storer as Player Of The Season, because without him, where would we be now? Unbelievably some on this Forum were calling for his head at the end of last season following the infamous biting incident.

If I was sorting out the contracts, Storer would be the first one I would tie down.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:Stoz for me epitomises why we should forgive 'indiscretions' on the football field. Without Stoz, what would our points tally have been? He's our most important player, a natural leader, an organiser driving the Team on, a protector, a winner, giving his absolute all for this Club - even if that occasionally means an overspill of aggression.

This is why I voted for Kyle Storer as Player Of The Season, because without him, where would we be now? Unbelievably some on this Forum were calling for his head at the end of last season following the infamous biting incident.

If I was sorting out the contracts, Storer would be the first one I would tie down.
What is our win rate with Stoz in the side?

He really has grown into the season, despite the corrupt red card vs Mansfield that through the club off it's stride, to become and important player. Be nice for him to get a goal to wrap up the season.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:Stoz for me epitomises why we should forgive 'indiscretions' on the football field. Without Stoz, what would our points tally have been? He's our most important player, a natural leader, an organiser driving the Team on, a protector, a winner, giving his absolute all for this Club - even if that occasionally means an overspill of aggression.

What is our win rate with Stoz in the side?

He really has grown into the season, despite the corrupt red card vs Mansfield that through the club off it's stride, to become and important player. Be nice for him to get a goal to wrap up the season.
I looked and put it in a thread the other day. In League 2 it's exactly 50% win rate, and we've picked up points in 75% of games he's played in. 20 games, 10 wins, 5 draws. A damn sight higher than the teams overall percentages.
Last edited by Shade on 20 Apr 2017, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reliant Robin
By my reckoning RCS I believe the stats are as follows:

With Stoz playing we've had 10 League wins from 43, but he's only played in 20 League games, so that's a 50% win rate. We also picked up 4 points from 4 drawn games when he's played.

Without him we've only won 1 League game.

If he'd played every game and on the basis of his 50% win rate, we would have had 63 points, and that's without counting any points from draws, so that would have put us in the Play-offs.

That's an indication of just how important he is to the Team.
Reliant Robin
I see The Echo have now reported on the importance of Stoz to the Team, some 4 hours after my Nest posting on the same subject !!

Some would like to think it was pure coincidence 8-)

I've been hack'd ;)
Shade
Mic check, hello hello, one-two, one-two...