Pie in the sky or genuine competition?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Alf
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... gue-143064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CS85
Best in the south west maybe taking it a bit to far,certainly can get to our level and probably with a better support aswell.
Robin
Less realistic than our Championship ambitions, they have a core fan base of 300 it would take them years to reach out level and a lot more years to surpass Bristol City or Plymouth.
Alf
I suppose they could always ground share with FGR down by the motorway? :-)
Del Boy
This is most interesting and surely worrying for us. There's a real danger we could be overtaken by both GC and FG in the next few years if Dunkerton decides to pump money into them at the same rate as Vince.
Robin
Then surely the question is why are we not attracting similar investment here?
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Then surely the question is why are we not attracting similar investment here?
Probably because people pumping in huge sums of money want control. I'd doubt we would want to give that away.
Alf
I think most of us have heard the odd rumour over the years about punters with a bit of money wanting to buy into the club but, for whatever reason, nothing has ever come of it. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is up for discussion as I doubt we all have the same view on whether this is a good or bad thing. Del Boy has a good point. Much as many scorn Vince's money and possibly Julian Dunkerton's (although I thought he had said he wasn't interested in financing football?) we could find ourselves going from the top football team in the county to third in the pecking order.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dunkerton potentially turning Tiger is a blow - he is a Cheltenham business through and through. Look how much money he is pumping into the restaurant and hotel on the Prom, and I remember years ago he tried to create a good gig scene in Cheltenham, paying for big national bands to play his small venue in the town which the venue could never have afforded without a promoter covering the cost.

The fact he may have more links to Gloucester City can only mean his friends views it as easier to be successful with, or because his mates can have more control and ownership. As soon as they pay Spiv McGurk the money he wants for the Meadow Park land so he walks away they can build a stadium somewhere else and do what they want with the club. (Or, the investment is very small and would make no difference to CTFC and the story is overblown).

They are in fantasy land however, or geographically illiterate. Dorset is in the South West region, and Bournemouth has been part of that and in the South West since 1974. Even if by some miracle they overtake Bristol City and Plymouth they won't catch Bournemouth.

To be honest, I don't expect this to come to much and am not scared of Gloucester making the League any time soon.
Malabus
The adverts are getting ridiculous on that site.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:The adverts are getting ridiculous on that site.
Indeed. The sooner they introduce a paid for version for those happy to pay for content ad free the better.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Indeed. The sooner they introduce a paid for version for those happy to pay for content ad free the better.
To run a website costs little or nothing. Exploitation of the public with adverts that are not considered needed but only to make income.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
To run a website costs little or nothing. Exploitation of the public with adverts that are not considered needed but only to make income.
Professional journalists, photographers and editors need to be paid. However, yes, when adverts and click-bait are used to fund profits and dividends rather than good news content, it is frustrating.
Ralph
can we stop talking about ad's and get back to the topic? Click the link or don't.. it is your choice. If you click, don't complain
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:can we stop talking about ad's and get back to the topic? Click the link or don't.. it is your choice. If you click, don't complain
I clicked and wrote a long post on the comment. My subsequent posts just responding to Mal in the flow of conversation. Threads are about conversation, not a list of unrelated posts.
Ralph
start a thread about ad's then or get back on the OP's topic