Replaced

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
THECHOIRBOY wrote:I am sure the same people will be getting carried away if we beat Bristol City and Peterborough. Just like during the course of the season from one saturday to the next they perceive us as promotion contenders to suddenly relegation fodder.

We are an average team in an average league. We will win some. We will lose some. And if we finish somewhere around mid table we have done well. That is the reality. I am afraid that could well be the reality for the foreseeable future so just enjoy the ride!
This is a great post, I know this will upset some but we are a mid-table team, operating on a mid-table budget with an above average manager for this league. At this moment in time we lack the quality to go up, we have stabilty and more quality than last year so are unlikely to go down, ergo we are likely to win and lose at roughly equal ratio.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
THECHOIRBOY wrote:I am sure the same people will be getting carried away if we beat Bristol City and Peterborough. Just like during the course of the season from one saturday to the next they perceive us as promotion contenders to suddenly relegation fodder.

We are an average team in an average league. We will win some. We will lose some. And if we finish somewhere around mid table we have done well. That is the reality. I am afraid that could well be the reality for the foreseeable future so just enjoy the ride!
This is a great post, I know this will upset some but we are a mid-table team, operating on a mid-table budget with an above average manager for this league. At this moment in time we lack the quality to go up, we have stabilty and more quality than last year so are unlikely to go down, ergo we are likely to win and lose at roughly equal ratio.
Which is why the fans deserve a positive approach from the manager, not square pegs in round holes.
Robin
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:The key point that worries me is that once the window is closed, that is your hands tied until January as we saw last season. It got to November and we knew it was a case of how bad the damage was going to be before we had the opportunity to rectify it. Luckily we just about did it. This year, if the squad is smaller or the number of quality players is smaller, what happens if we get injuries? No more emergency loans so we could end up in real trouble.
Whilst the squad is smaller had a big squad last year and is the amount of quality players really less?
Boyle => Parslow
Winchester => Asa Hall
Dawson => Bartham
Grimes/Forster => Suliman/Downes

Like Shevates I'd rather we paid a fee and kept Brown rather than Flatt and we've yet to sign the quality upfront but it's almost certainly coming but we are certainly stronger than this time last year.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Robin wrote:
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:The key point that worries me is that once the window is closed, that is your hands tied until January as we saw last season. It got to November and we knew it was a case of how bad the damage was going to be before we had the opportunity to rectify it. Luckily we just about did it. This year, if the squad is smaller or the number of quality players is smaller, what happens if we get injuries? No more emergency loans so we could end up in real trouble.
Whilst the squad is smaller had a big squad last year and is the amount of quality players really less?
Boyle => Parslow
Winchester => Asa Hall
Dawson => Bartham

Like Shevates I'd rather we paid a fee and kept Brown rather than Flatt and we've yet to sign the quality upfront but it's almost certainly coming but we are certainly stronger than this time last year.
I agree with you that losing Brown and to an extent Waters has weakened us but that has been counter balanced by the likes of Dawson and Forster (hopefully) strengthening us. My point was more that the quality seems to very much sit within the first 11 or 14 and so if you start to build up injuries you can get down to the bare bones quite quickly.

Hoping to see some of these loans come in to bring up the numbers. Would be harsh to see Bower or Page thrown in because numbers were low due to bad injury luck.
Robin
Agree on Bower - I would like to see him loaned out at Conference South level for some competitive experience of mens football but with Downes injured it leaves us too exposed right now. Page is a different case he's now a second/third year pro and needs to be competing for a first team slot. I know he's had injuries but I would hope he will make the bench a few times this season and from
MittonRobin
Robin wrote:Milton, a genuine question here but is the current squad not stronger than the one which started last season? Do you genuinely believe we could get sucked into a relegation scrap again or are you unhappy that we could be mid-table?

I'm not optimistic for the forthcoming season believe me but equally I don't feel we are in dire straights or any likelihood of relegation.
I would love us to be Mid table but I just cant see It ( my opinion ).

The current squad will not be setting the world alight is also how I feel. Its average at best. I just hope there may be 2 teams worse off than us.
Robin
You are entitled to your opinion (it's what the forum is for) however how can you say the squad is average then suggest you would hope there are two worse teams than us. If the squad is really average then we will likely finish in the middle of the pack right?
I-Love-CTFC
At the present moment I see our squad being in the bottom 6.
Robin
Looks to me 13th-18th.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Boyle => Parslow
Winchester => Asa Hall
Dawson => Bartham

Winchester and Hall are different types of player. Pell does Hall's job (box to box) whereas Winiesta offers that creative forward play we have lacked since Pack, and before him, Alex Russell.
swellingsdownbelow
The club are looking for a Media Officer.............Robin........apply......you fit the bill perfectly.... :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
swellingsdownbelow wrote:The club are looking for a Media Officer.............Robin........apply......you fit the bill perfectly.... :D
We have enough fake news in the world as it is.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:

It does amaze me. Mark Yates got us into the play-offs twice. When he 'failed' with us finishing in mid-table he was hounded out by supporters demanding promotion. Now those same people think we have an above-average manager after finishing in the bottom four and now mid-table is seen as success. Funny old world.
Robin
I have not seen anyone describe mid-table as success, but it's probably where we deserve to be based upon crowds and budget. I won't even reply on your ridiculous comparison between Yates and GJ.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:I have not seen anyone describe mid-table as success, but it's probably where we deserve to be based upon crowds and budget. I won't even reply on your ridiculous comparison between Yates and GJ.
I agree with you. Budget and crowds dictate mid-table finish - just goes to show how well Yates did to over achieve and get us into play-offs twice. When we got to the final it was one of the best teams we've ever had in my opinion.
Benctfc
Don't think anyone thinks Yates was aswful here he in the main did a good job what tarnished his reputation was the fact he stayed a season or two too long when a change probably would have suited all parties.
Robin
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:I have not seen anyone describe mid-table as success, but it's probably where we deserve to be based upon crowds and budget. I won't even reply on your ridiculous comparison between Yates and GJ.
I agree with you. Budget and crowds dictate mid-table finish - just goes to show how well Yates did to over achieve and get us into play-offs twice. When we got to the final it was one of the best teams we've ever had in my opinion.
Yates did some fantastic things here at times but they were balanced out with some truly dire stuff too. When he was given the £500k external investment he built probably the best CTFC side I've ever seen and one which really should have got promoted - it was that good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:

It does amaze me. Mark Yates got us into the play-offs twice. When he 'failed' with us finishing in mid-table he was hounded out by supporters demanding promotion. Now those same people think we have an above-average manager after finishing in the bottom four and now mid-table is seen as success. Funny old world.
Yates looked shifty in interviews, and gave it back to the fans when they howled abuse. Gary has the gift of the gab and has banter with the fans. As the average fan confuses personality with results this is probably answers your question.