Cheltenham Town v Bristol City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates here this evening: http://bit.ly/CheltvBCity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Starting line-up: Flatt; Forster, Boyle, Grimes; Winchester, Atangana, Pell, Sellars, Cranston; Wright, Eisa

No Kevin Dawson tonight. Injured again? Hope we haven't signed a sick note.
Robin
Wow our only creative midfielder gets moved to right back because Dawson is injured and we don't have cover and the season hasn't even kicked off yet. Please GJ sign some players ASAP!
I-Love-CTFC
It sounds like Zak Vyner who starts for Bristol City at right back tonight could possibly join us on loan.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Wow our only creative midfielder gets moved to right back because Dawson is injured and we don't have cover and the season hasn't even kicked off yet. Please GJ sign some players ASAP!
Yet you seem keen for our other creative midfielder (Dawson) to play RB. If you are happy for Dawson to play RB you should be happy for Winiesta to do so as well. Personally I want neither playing in defence.
Robin
When Dawson was signed he was described as a right sided player who can also play in central midfield. He played on Saturday in midfield and by the accounts of those who went didn't look comfortable there either. I get that he is more attacking than defensive but to believe he's not been signed as a wing back first and foremost is optimistic in my opinion. Meanwhile Winchester was clearly signed as a creative central midfielder who can pick a pass but can cover right wing back in an emergency.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:When Dawson was signed he was described as a right sided player who can also play in central midfield. He played on Saturday in midfield and by the accounts of those who went didn't look comfortable there either. I get that he is more attacking than defensive but to believe he's not been signed as a wing back first and foremost is optimistic in my opinion. Meanwhile Winchester was clearly signed as a creative central midfielder who can pick a pass but can cover right wing back in an emergency.
"Signed from Irish club Shelbourne in January 2013, Dawson established himself as an automatic choice on the right side of midfield and played a crucial role in that Wembley triumph.....On his return to the side, Dawson found himself deployed more as a central midfielder than on the right, but remained a first choice player."

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/foo ... town-64672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And also this from JP:

"Dawson is comfortable in the centre or on the right side of midfield, with an accurate delivery from wide areas and Johnson believes he has the potential to become a fans' favourite at Whaddon Road."

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... owns-64650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where you get this notion he was signed to play RB from I cannot fathom.
confused.com
First impressions as seeing for first time (and Apols for any mis spelt names) atangana is a positive as is sellars. Eisa looks as if he can create and score, but maybe a tad light. Winchester positive as usual. Boyle is boyle thank God, can't get too enthusiastic about the rest at the minute.
robinsrule
Sellars has an excellent first half - fast, direct and rarely gave the ball away. City got on top towards the end of the half and should have scored. Cranston gave the ball away continuously.
I-Love-CTFC
Error from Flatt and Engvall scores for Bristol City, 0-1.
I-Love-CTFC
Bobby Reid makes it 2-0.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Any of the City fringe/youth impressing in what is effectively a loan trial?
I-Love-CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Any of the City fringe/youth impressing in what is effectively a loan trial?
City have stepped it up in the second half. 3-0 now Engvall again. I'd definitely take Vyner on loan.
I-Love-CTFC
Trialist Callam Jones goes off injured again!
Benctfc
We only lost to this lot 2-1 last year when they brough a stronger team. But this squad is stronger than last years of course hmm.
asl
Benctfc wrote:We only lost to this lot 2-1 last year when they brough a stronger team. But this squad is stronger than last years of course hmm.
It's not as strong as our strongest ever squad that your Dad failed to get us promoted with - or even work out what his best XI was...
confused.com
No idea what the vests will say, however on firsr viewing not a major improvement on last year. If we lose a couple to injuries etc esp sellard antagana or winchester, we will be lower league bunch,
, if they come back with a better offer for Pell they should consider
Benctfc
asl wrote:
Benctfc wrote:We only lost to this lot 2-1 last year when they brough a stronger team. But this squad is stronger than last years of course hmm.
It's not as strong as our strongest ever squad that your Dad failed to get us promoted with - or even work out what his best XI was...
:?:
Robin
I didn't go but was told Flatt was at fault for their first goal, Bristol didn't play their first team but we did well first half before collapsing in the second. No surprise reading comments about Cranston being weak.
robinsrule
City really stepped it up after half time and we could 't live with them. Not much to get enthused about I'm afraid. Flatt came out unnecessarily in the first half and nearly got caught out - did exactly the same for their first goal. The second goal was good football and they walked through our defence, the third was due to trying to play in the wrong area. The strikers were isolated, forced to feed off scraps and long balls.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:No idea what the vests will say, however on firsr viewing not a major improvement on last year. If we lose a couple to injuries etc esp sellard antagana or winchester, we will be lower league bunch,
, if they come back with a better offer for Pell they should consider
Vests reporting an infinite percentage increase in every metric compared to 2016 Johnson Trophy match.
cheltsaxon
Sorry but we look bang average Cranston lost the ball everytime he had it think he had two crosses and didnt beat the fist man made couple of passes though, he willl cost us games this season 100%
darreno
Was Dawson confirmed injured?
asl
Benctfc wrote:
asl wrote:
:?:
Apologies! I may have mistaken you for DelBoy.
Benctfc
:?:[/quote]Apologies! I may have mistaken you for DelBoy.[/quote]
No problem asl!
Lord Elpuz
Robin wrote:I didn't go but was told Flatt was at fault for their first goal, Bristol didn't play their first team but we did well first half before collapsing in the second. No surprise reading comments about Cranston being weak.
First half, Cheltenham competed well and created several reasonable chances, so going in at half time at 0-0 was fully justified. Same problem as last season though, in that there is a worrying lack of clinical finishing required for League 2 level. There were misplaced passes from several members of the team and it certainly wasn't only Cranston, but he seems to end up as the scapegoat, which is unfair.

Bristol City stepped up a gear or two straight from the kickoff in the 2nd half and early mistakes from Flatt as he failed to collect a ball on the edge of the penalty area, and the hapless trialist Jones -- caught in possession also on the edge of the Cheltenham penalty area (and was then injured/substituted moments later) -- lead to two quick City goals and it was game over. City scored their third goal with a series of quality interchanges in the Cheltenham penalty area which opened the home defence easily and the ball was slotted home for the best goal of the game.

A large number of substitutions by Cheltenham followed but didn't have any positive impact and City saw the game out comfortably.

The only real moment of Cheltenham fan enthusiasm in that second half was for a pigeon that crash landed on the pitch, stood motionless until a player ran into it, whereupon it tried to take off, crash landed again and the crowd were urging Johnson to save the pigeon -- odd reaction really, as the fans are less inclined for him to save some of the squad, but on this showing he definitely needs to do some more work to save the season.
Shade
Lord Elpuz wrote: a pigeon that crash landed on the pitch.

Solly's back!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote: a pigeon that crash landed on the pitch.

Solly's back!
:D

No relegation worries now!!
horlickfanclub
The pigeon was as static as our centre backs .
Shade
He's better in front of goal, to be fair. His diving headers are legendary.
everyman
robinsrule wrote:Sellars has an excellent first half - fast, direct and rarely gave the ball away. City got on top towards the end of the half and should have scored. Cranston gave the ball away continuously.
Sellars is a luxury he is ok when we have the ball,but does nothing when we lose it.He could be a wide player if we had any wing-backs to do his defensive duties.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
robinsrule wrote:Sellars has an excellent first half - fast, direct and rarely gave the ball away. City got on top towards the end of the half and should have scored. Cranston gave the ball away continuously.
Sellars is a luxury he is ok when we have the ball,but does nothing when we lose it.He could be a wide player if we had any wing-backs to do his defensive duties.
Wing-backs and wide-players do not play in the same team.

Wing-backs require 5-3-2 or 3-5-2, wide-players require 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.
confused.com
everyman wrote:
Same reason why I hope GJ never signs Messi. When is the last time you saw that luxury tracking back? Lazy sod :)