Rockingham Road

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Ok should perhaps be in Other Footie but I recall a few trips to Kettering to see The Robins back in the day.

http://www.ketteringtownfc.com/news/roc ... -road-sold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So another ground gone, remember the FA Cup game in 2001 when we won 7-1, Super Dale scored for Kettering though !

Also recall going there New Years Eve in 1977 on the players coach !

Back then they seemed a club that was going places, where are they now ?
Fuller
https://iainduff.wordpress.com/2016/04/ ... kettering/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another club who looked like they were 'going places' when in reality they were actually 'overspending'.

Lost Rockingham Rd when going into administration in 2011 and the stadium owner called the bailiffs in because Kettering couldn't play the rent. It is the same stadium owner who has just sold it for housing. So I assume the intervening six years the owner has been getting planning permission and touting to developers. Don't know when they first bought the ground, but I also assume it was purchased as a land grab with the intention of getting the club out and houses in from day one.

They played at Nene Park (now also demolished) then Corby, and currently playing in Burton Latimer and are second in the Southern Premier.

Another sorry tale of overspending and trying to get a part-time club up the leagues. Fans should have been worried as soon as they were splashing out on Gaza etc - but as usual the fans thought there was a money tap which would never run out. Yes sad, but again, little sympathy from me as it was obvious from day one it would end in tears.
Ralph
Very sad to see it like it is now. Loved going there. A proper ground.
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Another sorry tale of overspending and trying to get a part-time club up the leagues. Fans should have been worried as soon as they were splashing out on Gaza etc - but as usual the fans thought there was a money tap which would never run out. Yes sad, but again, little sympathy from me as it was obvious from day one it would end in tears.
Imagine all those new expensive cotswold stone effect houses you could build on the site of the former New Lawn
RIP FGR :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Imagine all those new expensive cotswold stone effect houses you could build on the site of the former New Lawn
RIP FGR :lol:
Yup, should be able to build enough four and five beds to make sufficient retail profit to clear the clubs operating debt. At least the soulless green plastic empty shed in Nailsworth won't be missed like some the lost stadia are.
longmover
Those photos :shock:

All those hopes and dreams.
little mo
Remember Jamie Victory being racially abused by a section of their fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:Remember Jamie Victory being racially abused by a section of their fans.
East Midlands for you.