Goals/Highlights

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can watch the four goals and penalty save here: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... colchester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
I've just played that a dozen times and I still can't make out the handball! I take it the lad who was sent off used his hands to prevent the ball going in before the rebound was struck and tipped over by the keeper? I don't think anyone in the Paddock saw it on Saturday, neither - but there were no objections from the opposition. Maybe the first time ever that people standing behind the goal get the best view of something!
Benctfc
asl wrote:I've just played that a dozen times and I still can't make out the handball! I take it the lad who was sent off used his hands to prevent the ball going in before the rebound was struck and tipped over by the keeper? I don't think anyone in the Paddock saw it on Saturday, neither - but there were no objections from the opposition. Maybe the first time ever that people standing behind the goal get the best view of something!
I was right behind it and it was a blatant handball preventing the header from the free kick going in. Just shows how crucial decent set pieces are at this level both the deliveries into the box leading to the penalty and goal were world class almost impossible to defend.
Chill
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Can watch the four goals and penalty save here: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... colchester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Extended 'free' 10 min highlights on the CTFC website with commentary and replays! Not sure what more you get from subscribing, perhaps someone can let me know? but I'm liking the new EFL highlights :D
confused.com
has to be said, the defending for our first goal was criminal. I think Dawson was the only one that actually jumped !
longmover
The side of the ground to the left (camera facing) of the main stand looks awful
everyman
longmover wrote:The side of the ground to the left (camera facing) of the main stand looks awful
Surely the club could afford a small terrace in front of the canteen,like glos.did at Evesham behind the goal.Metallic so could be moved if needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:The side of the ground to the left (camera facing) of the main stand looks awful
It is awful. Sooner we get a proper stand down the whole of that side of the pitch the better.
horlickfanclub
We should reinstate the old wooden changing rooms to give it character.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:We should reinstate the old wooden changing rooms to give it character.
Too gimmicky. Once gone you can't put old character back without looking tacky or try hard.
Fuller
horlickfanclub wrote:We should reinstate the old wooden changing rooms to give it character.
Yes I remember those well, and the old tea hut that Mrs Holroyd ran for years.

Also the little hut that was about 4 foot x 3 foot where they sold the programmes, you could not fit more than two people in there at a time :P

Let's go the whole hog and knock down the main stand that was built in 1965 and put back the old wooden stand that was there before that (pictures of which are very thin on the ground I may add.)

Out of interest has anyone got any pics of the ground from way back from the 1930's, 40's and 50's ? Would love to see them if anyone has. I've been going since 1968 so have known the ground well since then, just interested in how it looked before that era.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Whitley Bay have a garden shed style building on one terrace selling hot drinks and cold snacks. It only got hooked up to electricity two seasons ago. Before that the old boy working in there used to wear a head torch when it was dark.

Of course the best football heritage remaining is Craven Cottage. The finest example of Archibald Leitch's work remaining.
confused.com
Well they do seem to be pulling the rest down at a rate. Hearts still has a good bit of nostalgia about it. Probably more than Craven Cottage Especially the recruitment drive for Volunteers for the war, when the ground was full for the match. Forget how many signed up that day, but not many came back