Selection dilemma...nice questions to have

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A couple of tricky decisions.

When Long is back, would you bring him in for Broom? Or move Broom into midfield?

When Mullins is back, would you drop Forster or Tozer?

Maddox obviously straight back in the side for Clements.

But what about Dawson when he is back?

We are going to have a very strong bench!
Si Robin
Wasn't Mullins on the bench on Saturday? That suggests Duff didn't want to change a winning team.
Robin
I wouldn't change a winning team for now but Mullins and Maddox to come in for Forster and Clements in the near future. I wouldn't switch Broom for Long on current form.
Shade
If Clements keeps playing like Saturday then he can stay in as far as I'm concerned. Looked like a completely different player in that role behind the front two.
horlickfanclub
Mullins is a great battler but Forster wins more in the air. Mullins was on the bench Saturday .
Player2 Has Joined
I think Broom's been our best player for the last few games. Definitely wouldn't drop.
Nesty
I dont want to fuel any GJ debates but only 4 of the 11 that started Saturday were GJ summer signings.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I dont want to fuel any GJ debates but only 4 of the 11 that started Saturday were GJ summer signings.
May well have been seven if Maddox, Long and Mullins were not injured/returning from injury but yes take your point.
Shade
Mullins has been on the bench for the last 3 or 4 games but from what MD has said I've taken that he's not sure he's been ready for 90 minutes and has just been there in case we have some kind of defensive crisis.
Artemis
Nesty wrote:I dont want to fuel any GJ debates but only 4 of the 11 that started Saturday were GJ summer signings.
Except Flinders, Forster, Boyle and Atangana were also signed by GJ. In fact, I make it that only Clements, Varney and Barnett weren't signed by GJ.
If Maddox replaces Clements, then its only the two strikers that werent. And we all knew - as did GJ - we were light up top.

So I'm not sure what the point being made is.
horlickfanclub
One point might be that Gary Johnson did not motivate or play the players in the right combination.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:One point might be that Gary Johnson did not motivate or play the players in the right combination.
Yes I think everyone knows Duff is getting more out of the players than GJ did.
Lord Elpuz
My player of the season so far, Ryan Broom, deserves to nail down a position to call his own. I hope he doesn’t get turned into some ‘super utility player’ because that kind of player rarely get the plaudits they deserve - and it may even be the reason we ended up losing Winchester.

I think Ryan Broom would be very effective in midfield.
Shade
Broom might become somewhat of a problem in that he's not quite good enough defensively, imo, to be a permanent wing-back, but his best performances, again imo, are out wide where he's able to beat players with speed and get good crosses in, yet this formation, which is best for the team, might not allow him to do that. So then you look at putting him in the middle and the only place you could really play him of the midfield 3 is behind the strikers, but would he keep Maddox out of the team...and would you want to sacrifice one or the other anyway?
drgm
Ryan Broom is the stand-out player for me this season. His contract is up next summer. We need to get
him on a longer deal asap
paperboy
drgm wrote:Ryan Broom is the stand-out player for me this season. His contract is up next summer. We need to get
him on a longer deal asap
Having signed a lot of players on two year deals it's a shame that Ryan wasn't.
That's easy to say in hindsight of course.
It would be a surprise if we haven't offered him an extended contract,but he now holds all the aces.
Shade
I don't think anyone will have been talking about contracts yet, except for a few terminations and loans out.
Robin

They were all GJ signings apart from Barnett (Milton), Varney (Duff) and Clements (Milton) I thought? Clements wouldnt have played had Maddox been fit either.
Robin
Lord Elpuz wrote:My player of the season so far, Ryan Broom, deserves to nail down a position to call his own. I hope he doesn’t get turned into some ‘super utility player’ because that kind of player rarely get the plaudits they deserve - and it may even be the reason we ended up losing Winchester.

I think Ryan Broom would be very effective in midfield.
You see I feel Broom is the perfect utility player that every club needs, he can play in any number of positions and rarely lets you down.
Nesty
Robin wrote:

They were all GJ signings apart from Barnett (Milton), Varney (Duff) and Clements (Milton) I thought? Clements wouldnt have played had Maddox been fit either.
It is interesting looking back to the starting line-up for our first game back in August
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
Robin wrote:

It is interesting looking back to the starting line-up for our first game back in August
Some of it enforced due to injury (eg Hussey, Long).

Other than that, only change is up front. Our first choice back five and midfield three were all at the club before the start of the season.
Artemis
horlickfanclub wrote:One point might be that Gary Johnson did not motivate or play the players in the right combination.
That can't be the point. If it was, then surely better to point out how many were GJ signings?

My view? The team played well against Carlisle first half and has played well against Newport first half.
The difference is that we now have two experienced strikers, and we're scoring goals. It's a kind of no s#!t Sherlock moment
Del Boy
Can we move on?? They're all Duff players now thankfully and he'll be signing more in January and next summer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:Can we move on?? They're all Duff players now thankfully and he'll be signing more in January and next summer.
Yes please!