stick or twist?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
Shade wrote:I'm generally pro-GJ, and I like to think I'm far from knee-jerk when it comes to reactions. I wasn't hugely in favour of GJ being put in charge when he first came into the club and it always felt like he thought he was doing us a favour, the way he spoke about himself and the club. Obviously, over time he won me over. Firstly, by signing a new contract just after we'd been relegated, and then by getting us promoted. Up until now I've generally been able to see the problems that he's had over the last couple of years and sympathise with the position he's been in regarding the players on the books and some of the poor performances. However, sometimes he hasn't helped himself with regards to the fans with some of the things he's said, or with the apparent treatment of some players (not that we fully know what's gone on).

Right now, I'm still of the mind we should keep GJ and take it game by game. I won't say give him until the end of September, or December, or anything like that because we could get hammered tomorrow and Saturday and the level of abuse from the GJ-out camp will be unbearable and something will have to give. However, 5 wins from the next 8 or 9 and we'll be back on track and looking to improve. Along with most, I see that as unlikely to happen right now through bad luck with injuries, having not replaced our star striker (whether that is GJ, PJ or others faults, we don't know - we're not privy to that information) and my biggest bugbear, the fact GJ seemed to sign players designed for a 3-5-2 only to start using a 4-4-2, completely opposite from last summer where we seemed to be set up for a 4-4-2 and started playing 3-5-2.

The one thing that dawned on me on Saturday was that I was waiting for Tranmere to score and really wasn't expecting us to get an equaliser - I might as well have been a neutral from my reactions whilst listening to the game. That might have been because of Peter Matthews incessant droning on about the same point, but I realised I was the same in the home game the week before and shouldn't be feeling that way one/two games into the new season.

It's got to be taken game-by-game and I hope, like I'm sure we all do (huh?) that we start playing much better for 90 minutes, score some goals and win some games, but there has also got to be some degree of reality to it. We're not a rich club, even if we have just got some money from the Eisa sale, and we can't expect us to hire and fire managers and players like some other clubs. I'm not talking about what should or should not have happened in the summer, just the situation we're in now.
popping my head above the parapet :)
I get all you say in the first paragraph. And even more of the stuff after that. Think I have had a couple of seasons of turning up wondering when the other team will score and not really expecting us to. Despite Mo doing his level best. I know as sports supporters you always think you are about to give the ball away when you have the ball and the opposition are about to score when they have the ball. However with CTFC I really do get that feeling every match (more or less).
I don't think it is a case of not taking it on a game-by-game basis. Is it not a case of last few summers being a groundhog day, team performances being a groundhog day over the L2 years, the post match messages being a groundhog day. The mass departures being a groundhog day, the rebuilds being a groundhog day?
Ihearye
If I read another condescending 'knee jerk post' I will chuck.
Just because you call someone else's post a knee jerk does not make you either right or more valid. The knee jerk should be looked at over a number of yeras showing a repeating pattern I read the knee jerk experts the year up from NL and we just about survived. I jave read the knee jerk experts during two pi55 poor years of recruitment and football. History would say that it is the knee jerk that is correct. Groundhog day
Shade
No different than one lot calling another lot rose-tinters. Something which has, thankfully, disappeared from this forum over the last couple of years. It works both ways and has the same effect of riling people up. Apparently...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I broke my rose tinted specs with my knee during an excessive jerk. Said knee now in a brace and thus no more jerking.

We are where we are. Decisions are made by the board with the future finances of the club at heart. Gary works within the parameters set. They and Gary will know when it is time to change it. Let’s just encourage the new players who are trying their best and when changes are made they are made.
plymrob
One of those occasional contributers (off another thread). And, maybe weirdly, I'm with RCS's last. Remember where we were and trust. We are allowed to lose.
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:If I read another condescending 'knee jerk post' I will chuck.
Just because you call someone else's post a knee jerk does not make you either right or more valid. The knee jerk should be looked at over a number of yeras showing a repeating pattern I read the knee jerk experts the year up from NL and we just about survived. I jave read the knee jerk experts during two pi55 poor years of recruitment and football. History would say that it is the knee jerk that is correct. Groundhog day
It's not just what you (and some of the other 'knee jerkers') say that rile me, it's the way that you say it. Needlessly confrontational, aggressive and defensive - all at the same time - and rarely balanced, constructive or contrite. Are you confused.com in disguise? Are you on a permanent wind-up?

Before you suggest that 'rose tinters' want to muzzle critics whose sole mission is to take pleasure in lashing out, that's not what I'm saying. I get the frustration - we all do. It's the endless, depressing, rants that make others want to chuck (to coin your phrase). Apologies if I've offended, but as you're bold enough to dish it out, I assume you're able to take it.
Nesty
I do not see how anyone can accuse someone of knee jerk reactions when this dross has been prevalent for 2 seasons or more. but hey lads stop bickering feel free to air your opinions without fear of being bad mouthed, as they are YOUR opinions and you have as much right as anyone else to them.......... we all support the same team........
vickeryc
Nesty wrote:I do not see how anyone can accuse someone of knee jerk reactions when this dross has been prevalent for 2 seasons or more. but hey lads stop bickering feel free to air your opinions without fear of being bad mouthed, as they are YOUR opinions and you have as much right as anyone else to them.......... we all support the same team........
Not sure if you're responding to my post or others. If it's the former, then you've missed my point - I was complaining about the tone of certain posts rather than the points they were making.
Nesty
I was generalising vickeryc -
vickeryc
Thanks Nesty, understood.