Duff post-game interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Red&WhiteArmy
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/january/ ... rd-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting listening, especially at the end.
In summary, he’d “love to sign 5 new players (this window)” but “that won’t be happening”
“Comes down to money” and hopes to “get two in at least”

Reading between the lines he’d liked to have more flexibilty for signings so last nights loss of 40k is clearly a blow. And it seems the Elisa money has been well and truly spunked up the wall! Very disappointing after selling a player for a million quid only 6 months we can’t give Duff maximum backing now. Especially as with all the injuries we are now suffering we look light of at LEAST two centre backs, one midfielder and a striker/attacking mid.
Bad times :cry:
Benctfc
That's what happens when you hand out silly 2 year contracts to players in the summer. We seemed to spend near enough all the budget budget in the the summer and now there's none left. I would imagine what we have to spend is only down to the money made in the fa cup and check a trade trophy.

I feel for Duff as he knows he needs to improve on the squad but now injuries have hit we can't afford to move people on as we need them for cover.
paperboy
Benctfc wrote:That's what happens when you hand out silly 2 year contracts to players in the summer. We seemed to spend near enough all the budget budget in the the summer and now there's none left. I would imagine what we have to spend is only down to the money made in the fa cup and check a trade trophy.

I feel for Duff as he knows he needs to improve on the squad but now injuries have hit we can't afford to move people on as we need them for cover.
As has been said before,hindsight regarding contracts is wonderful.
We might wish that we had given Ryan Broom a two year deal,also Wes Thomas in days gone by.

Some players would not have signed on only a one year deal and they prefer the stability of a two year deal even if it is on less money.
Robin
Benctfc wrote:That's what happens when you hand out silly 2 year contracts to players in the summer. We seemed to spend near enough all the budget budget in the the summer and now there's none left. I would imagine what we have to spend is only down to the money made in the fa cup and check a trade trophy.

It won't be two year deals which take the money, it will be all the panic signings in August which happened under Milton. Remember we were bidding £200,000 for players under GJ. Now there is no money although I hear there is a further payment from Bristol City at the end of the season still to come.
Nesty
Robin wrote:

It won't be two year deals which take the money, it will be all the panic signings in August which happened under Milton. Remember we were bidding £200,000 for players under GJ. Now there is no money although I hear there is a further payment from Bristol City at the end of the season still to come.
why do we have to wait until the end of the season to get the money?
Robin
Most sizeable transfers happen instalments rather than a flat upfront fee. Everything I know is we got a sizeable proportion upfront, another chunk at the end of the season and more with add ons should they be realised (sale % - usually above initial fee, appearances, goals etc.).
Del Boy
Robin wrote:

I would hope the board have decided it would be better spending the money in the summer given we're not going to go up or down this season. Quite how you've come to the conclusion a few loans/out of contract players coming in cost £1m is anyone's guess especially when we had lots of loans go out.

And if we hadn't signed anyone we still wouldn't have any capable strikers.
horlickfanclub
Good post Del Boy. Pay offs to ex Manager, Scout and playing staff will have taken a chunk. Also repayments of loans.
On the plus side we may eventually get more money for Ryan Broom, Luke Thomas,Harry Pell and Billy Waters
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Move on chaps. It is what it is.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Good post Del Boy. Pay offs to ex Manager, Scout and playing staff will have taken a chunk. Also repayments of loans.
On the plus side we may eventually get more money for Ryan Broom, Luke Thomas,Harry Pell and Billy Waters
I was told we didn't pay off Pete Johnson he worked his notice period. Money however was paid to our ex-chairman and a decent chunk of it too.
asl
Robin wrote:Money however was paid to our ex-chairman and a decent chunk of it too.
Even I heard that. Just to clarify, as I understand it, it was money the club *owed* to PB for loan repayment. You make it sound like a bad thing, something underhand.
Jerry St Clair
Probably worth reminding ourselves of what Andy Wilcox said back in November:

"Is there any of the Mo Eisa money left?
There is more money coming, but most of the initial payment has now gone. We had to do some emergency repairs to the squad so players were brought in, wages were paid and we had a huge squad, which also ate away at the money. We had to dip into it, where in an ideal world we’ve have kept more of it back for the January transfer window, but it didn’t work out like that."

Also why the assumption that all the money has to be spent on players? I'd rather we invested at least a proportion of it in the ground, training facilities, coaching programme, community work. Why are so may supporters keen to demand that every penny is spent on short term fixes (like player fees and wages) instead of investing in the club's long term sustainability? It's boring, but important in my book.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Probably worth reminding ourselves of what Andy Wilcox said back in November:

"Is there any of the Mo Eisa money left?
There is more money coming, but most of the initial payment has now gone. We had to do some emergency repairs to the squad so players were brought in, wages were paid and we had a huge squad, which also ate away at the money. We had to dip into it, where in an ideal world we’ve have kept more of it back for the January transfer window, but it didn’t work out like that."

Also why the assumption that all the money has to be spent on players? I'd rather we invested at least a proportion of it in the ground, training facilities, coaching programme, community work. Why are so may supporters keen to demand that every penny is spent on short term fixes (like player fees and wages) instead of investing in the club's long term sustainability? It's boring, but important in my book.
Same reason Norway built a huge sovereign wealth fund with oil money and UK squandered it on tax breaks. Long-term planning and investing for future gains just doesn’t seem to be in the British psyche which is why our society, economy and politics based on short-term fixes.