The Old Programme hut

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
The old pictures of Lyndsay Parsons and the old WR reminded me of the programme hut (that was in the corner where the security tower is now) and thinking it was quite a strange set up to have a stall that sold predominately old programmes with the odd CTFC scarf, woolly hat and pin badge on offer inside a football ground. Did the club take any proceeds from programmes sold or was it only CTFC merchandise?

Was this the norm for grounds back then or unique to WR?
Jerry St Clair
Reading had a programme hut at Elm Park in the corner of the South Bank and Tilehurst End at the back of the terrace overlooking the pitch. it was the supporters' club shop, but essentially sold programmes and signed up members. When they moved to the Madejski Stadium the supporters' trust were allocated a catering unit in the East Stand concourse to operate from. It still, basically, sells old programmes.

I don't recall seeing one anywhere else but, as an away fan in a segregated ground, I guess you're pretty unlikely to.
Flux
Seems its more non league grounds they are found at these days remember the one at Evesham's old ground at Common Road and Cinderford had/has one (not been for a few years), Meadow Park had one and then I remember when they shared at Cirencester it was more a table with a few boxes of random programmes. I'm sure Yate had one when I went a few weeks ago

I do though recall seeing one at Upton Park in the early 1990's
thetonga
Wycombe had one when I visited Adams Park in around 2005.

Also Goodson Park has/had a church on one corner that turned into a large programme selling operation on match days, again when I visited on around 2005.

They are two that spring to mind although unsure if both still going.
bigdavejambo
programme stalls are big earners for non-league clubs. FCUM have a decent one and ive come across a few others too.