Incoming

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
With trepidation I post on here in case I get called out :lol:

Having let Cole go I assume that we have 2 or 3 players incoming over the next 10 days
If they are going to be in the groove they need in my opinion to arrive in the bext few days
We need to make at least an average start to the season and not be cut adrift

My faith is in MD get things right so I wait with bated breath
While it is frustrating not to know I do prefer it to the rumours of 26 or was it 32 strikers that John Ward tried to sign
Cards close to chest seems to be the method now
COYR
Shade
Whilst I agree and it would be nice to have everyone in at least a week before the season starts, let's not throw the towel in if we don't. Luke Summerfield joining very late on in what turned out to be our highest finishing season and best midfield in the last 11 years is the argument as to why.
Si Robin
I would expect to see a couple of trialists tongiht.
Robin
For me we need to get the midfield right, it's the one area where we need to improve the first team. The other signings are likely to be cover/competition for strikers/defenders.

I haven't heard any names for some time so agree about keeping cards close to the chest.
horlickfanclub
Its good to see the mole has moved on.
MittonRobin
I went Last night and its simple, we need 3-4 signings quickly ( good ones ) or this season will become another long one. Hope Duff has a plan because fans are concerned
paperboy
MittonRobin wrote:I went Last night and its simple, we need 3-4 signings quickly ( good ones ) or this season will become another long one. Hope Duff has a plan because fans are concerned
Are they?

No more than other clubs fans I would suggest.
Shrewsbury are a league above us and we dominated much of the match,but conceded two goals to top class finishes.
Plenty of positives last night and I haven't heard a manager yet say they have their squad in place.
Last year we signed Varney late on and before that Luke Summerfield popped up from nowhere and they didn't turn out too badly.

Have faith Milton.
Si Robin
I keep seeing this - Varney came in late, Naylor came in late (Naylor came in at a time when there was no transfer window) - remind me how those seasons started. The fact remains that 10 days before the start of the season we have 14 fit professionals.

If that's not concerning, then I don't know what is.

Yes, yes, I have faith in Duff and I do think we'll be fine. But to not even have any triallists on show last night is, for want of a better phrase, almost an act of negligence.
MittonRobin
Si Robin wrote:I keep seeing this - Varney came in late, Naylor came in late (Naylor came in at a time when there was no transfer window) - remind me how those seasons started. The fact remains that 10 days before the start of the season we have 14 fit professionals.

If that's not concerning, then I don't know what is.

Yes, yes, I have faith in Duff and I do think we'll be fine. But to not even have any triallists on show last night is, for want of a better phrase, almost an act of negligence.
Agreed ! Bad vibes !
Shade
Let's all s#!t ourselves then. That'll help.
GingerRedMan
I reckon we can currently put out a highly competitive team. The back five, keeper and holding midfield player are fine and we've pace up front. Long and Hussey must be as good a wingback pairing as any in Div 2

Sure we need strengthening, as MD says, but is it better to sign someone now or wait until other deals force better players to review their positions at clubs in higher leagues? Given the strength of the current, smallish, squad, the latter strategy seems perfectly reasonable
Shade
MD says he's being offered lots of players every day. If he doesn't think they're good enough or wouldn't suit us or tat they are too much money then we have to believe that and not panic. Panic gets you a McAlinden. If we need to wait for those final pieces to slot into place and turn this from a potentially exciting squad into a very exciting one, then so be it.
Robin
That's all commendable however equally the pool of available players is getting smaller by the day so it becomes increasingly harder to get the right ones in.
horlickfanclub
It gets larger when the club tours are over. Plenty available then.
Robin
Young championship loanees maybe but not permanent signings. I'd also imagine most club tours are complete by now given the season starts next week.
horlickfanclub
Two weeks tomorrow for the Premier
Robin
Yes but are you suggesting we will be signing squad players from Prem clubs?
horlickfanclub
Of course not but players like Maddox become available.
paperboy
horlickfanclub wrote:Of course not but players like Maddox become available.
..suspect Chelsea might want Maddox to go to Div one.
Had a good first half of the season for us then picked up an injury and our results picked up without him.

Pretty sure MD will be monitoring his ex Burnley charges on Saturday to see if any have summered well.
Eisa probably on our wish list also.
THECHOIRBOY
I agree with a lot of this. The reality is most L2 sides will have a few long term loan signings making up their squad. Whether you like this conceptually or not, it's the way football is going. They may already be lined up in which case just filling a team with trialists is pointless. Surely giving Archie Brennan 10 mins is a better use of time.

I am sure that Duff would have liked to have completed permanent business earlier but equally as someone above says, panic gets you McAlinden and co. It's his first pre-season so let's judge in a few weeks. If we finish 20th and next season are in a similar squad situation 2 weeks prior then i may have a different view.

JP says we have another trialist on Saturday playing and i am sure the next 10 days we will see a fair amount of movement!
Shade
Let's also remember that the Premier League and Championship transfer window (for players in, anyway) closes on 8th August and the League 1 & 2 window on 2nd September. I would imagine that a lot of the Pl and Ch clubs will decide for sure after 8th August, when they know their full squads, whether to let certain players go out on loan.