Leyton Orient v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon http://bit.ly/LeytonOrientAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alf
Here we go again. A few minutes in and it looks like the s#!t standard of refereeing still prevails in div 2. Cast iron penalty, keeper takes out Varney, Varney furious and gets booked. I don’t know where they get them from.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Here we go again. A few minutes in and it looks like the s#!t standard of refereeing still prevails in div 2. Cast iron penalty, keeper takes out Varney, Varney furious and gets booked. I don’t know where they get them from.
Would ruin the romance of Orient’s return from the ashes; the ref will be under strict orders.
Shade
Well, that's our season already f#!$.
Alf
Poor performance not helped by a completely inept referee. Despite what the commentators said I think Varney was cleaned out by their keeper and he was absolutely furious which got him his first booking. To me it was not the reaction of a player who had dived.
If he hadn’t been booked his second yellow would not have been so critical and subsequently fired a reaction from Ince which also saw him walk. However, even when we had a full side out there was something missing. Too many stray passes, little or no creativity in the box....a familiar sight. Still, early days yet, a lot of new players to ‘bed in’ and I’m sure we can turn things round.
Last edited by Alf on 03 Aug 2019, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
paperboy
Can we have our flag back please.
Alf
Did Ince stick it up the refs arse?
Robin
We played some nice stuff in the first half and had the game well under control with Orient struggling to pose any real threat. Sheaf looked quality in the midfield, Broom was super busy, Ince a little pedastrian but did what he needed to do the defence looked composed and snuffed out any real threat from Orient - I'd call out Debayo and Tozer especially. Varney was causing their defence problems but we were not getting enough shots on target to reflect our superiority with the ball. We had a clear penalty turned down and Campbell was getting his shirt pulled by the Orient defenders yet the ref wasn't going to give us any decision unless he really had too.

Second half started much more even, we struggled to keep the ball in the centre of the park but Orient didn't have any real threat about them until the goal where time seemed to stand still. After that I thought we could step it up and at least take a point until the sendings off. Varney I could see as soon as he went in for the challenge - clear yellow card, Ince was totally baffling as nobody seemed to appeal for it. After that we tried hard but could have lost 2-0 had it not been for a great save from Flinders who was otherwise as spectator in the game.

Far more tough tests that Orient to come, they look like a bottom eight side based on today and can count themselves lucky to take all three points but I suspect it's going to be tough for us with Varney and Ince missing next week unless we can appeal.
Robin
Alf wrote:Poor performance not helped by a completely inept referee. Despite what the commentators said I think Varney was cleaned out by their keeper and he was absolutely furious which got him his first booking. To me it was not the reaction of a player who had dived.
If he hadn’t been booked his second yellow would not have been so critical and subsequently fired a reaction from Ince which also saw him walk. However, even when we had a full side out there was something missing. Too many stray passes, little or no creativity in the box....a familiar sight. Still, early days yet, a lot of new players to ‘bed in’ and I’m sure we can turn things round.
I didn't think we were poor at all, in fact we were very comfortable but I did think we missed someone who could carry the ball and beat a man today. Someone like Maddox with a bit of end product is the missing piece I feel. Sheaf was very impressive first half though, excellent composure and able to do the dirty side too.
Benctfc
We never seem to win our first game other than Bury a few years ago I can't remember us winning one. The biggest challenge Duff has this season will be how we can create more away from home as that was our main problem last season. It's all well and good having a solid shape but we need to be scoring 2 goals most games to win away from home if we have any ambition of being in the top half. I thought todays game did have a similar feel to last seasons away games.
:
Does anyone have any knowledge on the lad we signed from Villa is he a more creative midfielder?
The Old TomCat
I have just read the BBC report on match and would like to applaud the Cheltenham supporters who contributed towards the JE flag and monies for JE3 trust.
Magnificent of you guys during the close season.
The flag from Cheltenham was the only one shown on the BBC report which indicates that it was something special.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49135888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
everyman
The Old TomCat wrote:I have just read the BBC report on match and would like to applaud the Cheltenham supporters who contributed towards the JE flag and monies for JE3 trust.
The flag from Cheltenham was the only one shown on the BBC report which indicates that it was something special.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49135888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it was completely ignored by the irish prat on quest last night,he never mentions ctfc.
Red Duke
everyman wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:I have just read the BBC report on match and would like to applaud the Cheltenham supporters who contributed towards the JE flag and monies for JE3 trust.
But it was completely ignored by the irish prat on quest last night,he never mentions ctfc.
Yep, I was very disappointed in that but not unexpected.
Shade
It was just about the worst fixture we could have had first up, given the circumstances. It was always going to feel like things would be against us. Only maybe Plymouth away would have been worse.
Robin
Whilst I agree with the sentiment Shade I don't believe Orient are very good and based upon Saturday will likely finish below us in the table come the end of the season.
Shade
I'm not passing judgment on whether they're any good. Just the circumstances. Ref was always going to favour them and they were going to play above themselves due to the occasion.
The Old TomCat
Now came across a Groundhopper's Vlog for game.
The guy gives a lot of coverage for the presentation of the flags for JE.
Impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6QRKPK0uOk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;