Match programme vs. Carlisle United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFC Official
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/august/o ... le-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
I'm curious to know how well programmes continue to sell. Over the years, the features have improved slightly but are more or less the same format since I started following football - manager's comments, director's comments, player feature, youth update, commercial update, Q&A, opposition, results and fixtures, Women's etc.

I used to collect programmes but have long ceased doing so - partly because most of the content is available online in some form.

I'd like to see the club think about maybe creating an online programme, or be a little more adventurous with its content (i.e. offer something that is not available online).
hepple
Unfortunately the match day programme is starting to become a thing of the past all over football. Non league teams produce online versions more and more these days for free, there still basically 90% adverts anyway.

Our programme has been the same for a number of years now and pretty much the same bar the opposition pages. Gone are the days of some interesting unique piece that isn’t a rehash of last weeks echo piece. The last programme I bought was the armistice one because that actually had some unique historical content the one before that I bought again the armistice programme again because the historical piece was unique and I hadn’t read it in the paper or online days before.

Anything these days in the programme that is of games gone past is games a few years ago or the featured former player is a recent one I would farther have my memory jogged and see some really old history features things that remind you of days gone by and bring the clubs history before 1999 because yes we did have a team before then though most of the time you wouldn’t know it’s all modern stuff in the programme in the echo etc.
That would secure my £3 each week anyway
Robin
I too used to collect programmes and did so for years (I'd guess 10-15 years) then I missed a couple and soon the habit is broken. Like others I don't see the content is great and probably wouldn't buy one if it did now, perhaps time for clubs to stop producing them?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I personally would enhance the programme experience by linking to a Club augmented reality app.

Augmented reality apps work by holding your smart phone camera over a still printed image, and then the app ‘brings the image to life’ by showing a short video and audio on your phone.

So hold the phone over an image of Duff post match and it shows a video of him talking, or hold the phone over an image of a player shooting and it loads a video or animation of the goal.

This isn’t new technology - magazines have been doing it for a while, as do some business cards and wine labels.