Salford City v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here from the Peninsula Stadium this afternoon http://bit.ly/SalfordCityAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
BROOOOOOOM

2-0!

We’re winning away, we’re winning awaaaay, how sh!t must you be? We’re winning away!
Shade
The hoodoo is broken! We scored 4 last week and have scored and won the following game!

What a day to be alive.

I reckon if we can turn Bratfud over on Tuesday then we are going to be properly in the hunt for the playoffs this season given the players still to come back. The guys on the radio reckon middle third but I reckon our squad, manager and style of play is better than at least two-thirds of this division, and the away record will improve dramatically now the monkey is off our backs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Duff is taking us up.
darreno
If we are going to be in the playoffs in 38 games time then we will need to win more than one game away from home. But you got to start somewhere.
Ben3
I backed us to be top three before the season began. Having played 8 games, and us being without three or four key players, I don’t see any reason to change that prediction

I’m going third. But we shall see
Nesty
great stuff,
Ben3
Very much looking forward to taking my lad to the Bradford game on Tuesday. Of such are made dreams
Ihearye
I knew there must have been a reason why my lad was at Uni in Manchester! great day out and who cares about the drive back
Alf
That was a very good all round performance today. Players are buying into MD’s style of play and you can see the confidence building. Early days yet but we’re starting to look like a very competent football team. Well done to all. Especially to the fans who made the journey.
Robin
A Salford fan I spoke with said we were the best team he'd seen all season and mentioned we were extremely well organised and never gave them a look in. That said, I thought Salford were poor and you could clearly see they had a lot of non-league players in their ranks. Their only real threat was long balls into the box and even then I don't recall a meaningful save from Flinders. At the other end we scored two, had one goalbound effort from Reilly blocked near the line and their keeper pulled off a good stop from Varney but I don't believe we carried anywhere near the level of threat we seemingly do at home.

Overall I'm not too sure about the play offs yet but I'd be surprised if we don't finish top half based on the games I've seen.
Ben3
We’re going up
art vandalay
I think Salford were massively overrated in some people's predictions simply due to their connections. We've made a great start though. Even if we haven't played many of the leading teams and away form is patchy, you can only deal with what's presented and we've dealt with it well. We're not conceding many in away games and home games have been hugely enjoyable & more entertaining than I've seen for years.
Robin
The league is still very tight so I'd urge everyone not to get too carried away myself, I feel we've made a solid/encouraging start but we are only three points above thirteenth for perspective. We've also with the exception of Swindle played slides which are likely to feature in the bottom half this season. Salford are massively over valued on todays evidence and I feel they'll be happy with mid-table consolidation. Stevenage/Scunny/Morecambe/Crawley all likely to feature near the bottom. It's not to say we cannot have a good season but I'd take our results and performances against Bradford and Plymouth as a better indicator as to whether we can finish in the top seven.
Robin
The league is still very tight so I'd urge everyone not to get too carried away myself, I feel we've made a solid/encouraging start but we are only three points above thirteenth for perspective. We've also with the exception of Swindle played slides which are likely to feature in the bottom half this season. Salford are massively over valued on todays evidence and I feel they'll be happy with mid-table consolidation. Stevenage/Scunny/Morecambe/Crawley all likely to feature near the bottom. It's not to say we cannot have a good season but I'd take our results and performances against Bradford and Plymouth as a better indicator as to whether we can finish in the top seven.
shevates
What i like about us were becoming a side thats more than pleasant to watch, we knock it about well, gone have the hit and hope tactics we build from the back. We dont seem to rely on varney all the time we are a decent side and a match for anyone.
I do agree with Robin going by table standings we have played the more weaker sides, and we will be tested over the next 3 games. If i had a criticism about the Salford game Hussey, and Thomas were caught in possession on to many iccasions. Tozer was excellent yesterday he was caught for pace but his timing of his tackle in getting back was spot on. Finally i believe we had 382 fans there and didnt they get behind the boys well done. Please turn up again in numbers like that at plymouth. I see our Scottish supporters were there again great effort lads
leohoenig
I was not there, so I am copying this neutral report from another forum

Salford City 0 Cheltenham Town 2
League 2, Att; 2389 (328 visitors)
Admission £10 (+ £1 booking fee)
Programme £3 for 72 pages with loads of good content and excellent value.

A trip up north to re-Complete the 92 (Again) saw Salford fall to a home football league defeat for the first time, and to be fair deservedly so.
Cheltenham were vastly superior in every department and as a neutral I felt they had another gear to go up had they required. As it was, having taken the lead on the half hour they surprisingly seemed happy to sit back in the second half and let Salford come at them. However Salford despite having a lot of possession, particularly in the second half, never really threatened the experienced Scott Flinders in the visitors goal. My thought is that Salford were very poor, and having only won their first game of the season, if they play like this too often it could be a long season for them. However, I guess the finances available will prevent an immediate return to the conference.
The first goal came on the half hour when Cheltenham got behind the Salford defence down the left and the subsequent cross found its way to Ryan Broom about ten yards out and his shot found its way in despite the attempts of a defender to keep it out.
It was Broom, impressive throughout who added the second on 83 minutes when the just as impressive Alex Addai held off home defenders and played Broom in to slide the ball past Kyle Latheran in the Salford goal and send the visiting contingent into raptures.
That signalled a mass exodus from those amongst the home followers and after that Salford never really looked like pulling one back.
Anorak footnote is that I initially completed the 92 at Hartlepool in 2013, in a 1-1 draw with Brentford. Their scorer that day was a Luke James who also scored when I re completed a couple of years ago, playing for Forest Green. Today, again re completing the 92, the aforementioned Scott Flinders kept goal for the visitors, just as he had for Hartlepool in that game 6 years ago.
Moor Lane, or the Peninsula Stadium as it is now referred has been transformed since the early days of the Class of 92 documentaries. Covered seating along both sides with covered terracing at both ends makes for a decent set up, and having chosen to stand in the home end, there is a decent ‘fanzone’ behind the terracing, with various outlets all housed in refurbished freight containers doing a roaring trade.
I was impressed too by the programme, Salford are producing varying styles for the cover and today’s was a retro cover copied from something that I can’t put my finger on what though. In addition it had excellent content.
My usual thoughts about clubs that are bankrolled through the leagues, ie Rushden, Fleetwood, FGR etc are not positive. Rich sugar daddies playthings, with little fan base do little to appease me, however for some bizarre reason I do not have quite the same level of resentment for Salford. Mainly I guess it is around the fact that many folk bemoan the lack of money the filters down from the top; The ex Man U contingent have, albeit indirectly, filtered a significant amount down to Salford so it is churlish to be too scathing. Added to the fact that admission prices have remained frozen since conference north days of 2 years ago, and today’s match cost me the same (Including booking fee) as a match between two sides at step 3 in the week, and half of what most clubs in league 2 are charging and it adds to the slight positivity I feel towards them.
All in all an enjoyable day out, and if Leo, one of our modfathers is reading, I fancy your teams chances this season. (The kiss of death if ever there was one).
Ihearye
leohoenig wrote:I was not there, so I am copying this neutral report from another forum

Salford City 0 Cheltenham Town 2
League 2, Att; 2389 (328 visitors)
Admission £10 (+ £1 booking fee)
Programme £3 for 72 pages with loads of good content and excellent value.

A trip up north to re-Complete the 92 (Again) saw Salford fall to a home football league defeat for the first time, and to be fair deservedly so.
Cheltenham were vastly superior in every department and as a neutral I felt they had another gear to go up had they required. As it was, having taken the lead on the half hour they surprisingly seemed happy to sit back in the second half and let Salford come at them. However Salford despite having a lot of possession, particularly in the second half, never really threatened the experienced Scott Flinders in the visitors goal. My thought is that Salford were very poor, and having only won their first game of the season, if they play like this too often it could be a long season for them. However, I guess the finances available will prevent an immediate return to the conference.
The first goal came on the half hour when Cheltenham got behind the Salford defence down the left and the subsequent cross found its way to Ryan Broom about ten yards out and his shot found its way in despite the attempts of a defender to keep it out.
It was Broom, impressive throughout who added the second on 83 minutes when the just as impressive Alex Addai held off home defenders and played Broom in to slide the ball past Kyle Latheran in the Salford goal and send the visiting contingent into raptures.
That signalled a mass exodus from those amongst the home followers and after that Salford never really looked like pulling one back.
Anorak footnote is that I initially completed the 92 at Hartlepool in 2013, in a 1-1 draw with Brentford. Their scorer that day was a Luke James who also scored when I re completed a couple of years ago, playing for Forest Green. Today, again re completing the 92, the aforementioned Scott Flinders kept goal for the visitors, just as he had for Hartlepool in that game 6 years ago.
Moor Lane, or the Peninsula Stadium as it is now referred has been transformed since the early days of the Class of 92 documentaries. Covered seating along both sides with covered terracing at both ends makes for a decent set up, and having chosen to stand in the home end, there is a decent ‘fanzone’ behind the terracing, with various outlets all housed in refurbished freight containers doing a roaring trade.
I was impressed too by the programme, Salford are producing varying styles for the cover and today’s was a retro cover copied from something that I can’t put my finger on what though. In addition it had excellent content.
My usual thoughts about clubs that are bankrolled through the leagues, ie Rushden, Fleetwood, FGR etc are not positive. Rich sugar daddies playthings, with little fan base do little to appease me, however for some bizarre reason I do not have quite the same level of resentment for Salford. Mainly I guess it is around the fact that many folk bemoan the lack of money the filters down from the top; The ex Man U contingent have, albeit indirectly, filtered a significant amount down to Salford so it is churlish to be too scathing. Added to the fact that admission prices have remained frozen since conference north days of 2 years ago, and today’s match cost me the same (Including booking fee) as a match between two sides at step 3 in the week, and half of what most clubs in league 2 are charging and it adds to the slight positivity I feel towards them.
All in all an enjoyable day out, and if Leo, one of our modfathers is reading, I fancy your teams chances this season. (The kiss of death if ever there was one).
Decent read, until he attempts to draw distinctions as to who bankrolls clubs and how they should be viewed. Kind of loses a bit of credence.
Alf
I wouldn’t say Salford are a poor side. We were just better than them on the day.
Robin
I'd disagree Alf, they looked very much like a conference side to me and would highlight the amount of times they passed the ball out of play or simply hoofed and hoped down the line for their forwards to chase.
Alf
Surely when you close players down and pressurise, that’s what happens.
Thought the ref was better than the norm for league 2.
Robin
Agree on the ref, can't think of any decisions he got wrong and didn't notice him at all as he let the game flow well.
Robin
We are currently 7/2 to finish top seven, do we think these odds offer good value? Seems most bookies fancy us to finish mid-table as we not considered among the relegation scrap and on the fringes of the promotion odds.

For the record we are 14-1 for relegation (twelfth), 8-1 to get promoted (eleventh).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The odds on top seven/promotion will only get shorter.

The gut feeling, momentum and general atmosphere and aura around the club is almost the same as the Champions season. In that season the more knowledgeable fans called promotion in October but it wasn’t until the new year when the odds really tumbled.

To all those who missed out on good odds and easy money back then by waiting too long, I urge you not to make the same mistake this season.
Robin
If I had to put money on us getting promoted I wouldn't right now but this league is tight and an organised side can easilly find them selves in or around the play offs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If I had to put money on us getting promoted I wouldn't right now but this league is tight and an organised side can easilly find them selves in or around the play offs.
Don’t complain when the odds tumble and you miss out. Should be next year’s summer holiday paid for!
everyman
Robin wrote:We are currently 7/2 to finish top seven, do we think these odds offer good value? Seems most bookies fancy us to finish mid-table as we not considered among the relegation scrap and on the fringes of the promotion odds.

For the record we are 14-1 for relegation (twelfth), 8-1 to get promoted (eleventh).
We should enjoy the moment and have realistic expectations considering where we are,a cup run and top ten will be ok for me.
Robin
Agree Everyman, top half finish a good cup run represents progress, I would be happy with that.
Benctfc
Top 10 would be a brilliant season when you look back at the past few season we have had in the league. Like others have said you just never know though get off to a good start and confidence starts to build and we could get on a roll. Be interesting to see if we are in and around the playoffs come January if Duff will be given money to spend similar to the Holman signing to give us that extra push.
Shade
Robin wrote:If I had to put money on us getting promoted I wouldn't right now
But...if you HAD to, you would...