Cheltenham Town v Cambridge United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CambridgeUtdHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben3
That’s the worst 45 minutes of the season. I won’t pick on individual as collectively dire.

I think we’ll win but debayo must get on to give us some shape, then if no goals Reid off.

Come on lads!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mixed feelings. The point takes us third, but that is the sixth home game in a row in all competitions with no win.
Ben3
We were poor. I’d say well done for getting a point because we didn’t play at all well.

Playing badly and still third.

I stick to my point - we need a striker. I won’t pick on Reid as he wasn’t fit but...we need a striker
Nesty
as you say - playing badly and still third - and also injuries to key players and still third............ with a game in hand on some teams..
Robin
Two points dropped today against a hard working, organised but realistically limited Cambridge team. Raglan, Tozer, JDH and Addai the only ones to come out with any real credit in my eyes.
horlickfanclub
All too predictable. Slow to get the ball forward. Poor choice of left wing back. Indecisive keeping. No width against the diamond.Poor use of subs.
We are still in a good position but need to push on from here.
Artemis
horlickfanclub wrote:All too predictable. Slow to get the ball forward. Poor choice of left wing back. Indecisive keeping. No width against the diamond.Poor use of subs.
We are still in a good position but need to push on from here.
Just interested, who would you have played at left wing back in Hussey's and Thomas' absence? Maybe Broom? But that takes him out of his favoured central role. Maybe Sheaf, but like Greaves not a role he'll be accustomed to. Maybe Duff cast his mind back to the days when Cotts stuck him out on the wing.
Shade
Judging by Broom's performance, he wouldn't have been a miss from midfield if he was at LWB.

I just don't know why we were sitting off them so much. Were we trying to draw them forward by letting them have so much of the ball unchallenged that we could hit them on the counter? Because if we were, we didn't carry out the second half of the plan very well, being so ponderous on the ball across the back. Too many players looked unsure of what to do on Saturday. Even Flinders got in on the act and took so long on the ball he nearly lost it and ended up trying to do a drag back that he only just got away with.
horlickfanclub
Debayo was in the squad Artemis. Why not start him? If not Shade has got it spot on.
Shade
I assume Debayo isn't classed as fit enough to start a game yet. I think that was his first time on the bench since he went missing with injury about 3 months ago, unless he was on the bench at Mansfield (I don't think he was). I'd be disappointed if Greaves was picked at LWB just so that MD could shoehorn all 4 centre backs into the starting 11.
horlickfanclub
He was on the bench at Mansfield .
Alf
Shade wrote:Judging by Broom's performance, he wouldn't have been a miss from midfield if he was at LWB.

I just don't know why we were sitting off them so much. Were we trying to draw them forward by letting them have so much of the ball unchallenged that we could hit them on the counter? Because if we were, we didn't carry out the second half of the plan very well, being so ponderous on the ball across the back. Too many players looked unsure of what to do on Saturday. Even Flinders got in on the act and took so long on the ball he nearly lost it and ended up trying to do a drag back that he only just got away with.
Agree. I appreciate that having a plan to retain possession is necessary but we need to be able to improvise a bit when we have the opportunity. Playing the ball out from the back is working well but I feel at times we play the ball back when there are opportunities to play it forward.
It may also give the opposition something else to think about if Scott Flinders took a route one occasional punt into the opposition half which could possibly give Alex a chance to stay onside.