Season "has to finish"

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here is what Paul Godfrey had to say on BBC Radio Gloucestershire this evening: bit.ly/PGSeason
Jon Palmer
Working link: https://bit.ly/PGSeason" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Horteng
I cannot see the season being finished unless they want to disrupt next season. Nothing will be starting back up until atleast July

I suspect the EFL will be null and void like non league. As much as im missing it and sport in general there is a much more important issue at the moment and I think to say the league "must finish" is ridiculous
paperboy
Horteng wrote:I cannot see the season being finished unless they want to disrupt next season. Nothing will be starting back up until atleast July

I suspect the EFL will be null and void like non league. As much as im missing it and sport in general there is a much more important issue at the moment and I think to say the league "must finish" is ridiculous
They are desperate to complete the fixtures and thus fulfil the obligations of the lucrative contracts that they have signed with TV companies.
I hope we are wrong but it is difficult to see how fixtures can recommence when it will only need one player in a squad to test positive for the whole squad to self isolate and thus lose another 2 weeks from the shrinking calendar window.
Ihearye
Horteng wrote:I cannot see the season being finished unless they want to disrupt next season. Nothing will be starting back up until atleast July

The legal and financial implications of that for the likes of Leeds or WBA, would, I suggest, making the season void, untenable?
Robin
Utter madness to even contemplate not finishing this season. Most predictions are this (social distancing) will last 2-3 months taking us until May/June. I suspect we will see games behind closed doors at the start but the season can be completed and the next one delayed until September.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Financially, legally, morally and sportingly it is much easier to delay/change/cancel next season than it is this one.

Yes there are more important issues. So wait for the virus etc to die down and life to get back to normal and then restart the season. Even if this means not completing the season until next Spring 2021 that is more important than starting next season on time or completing next season in the same format as normal.

The point is the season must finish, not that is must finish this summer or even this year.
Ralph
Ihearye wrote:

The legal and financial implications of that for the likes of Leeds or WBA, would, I suggest, making the season void, untenable?
Spot on!
Ralph
Robin wrote:Utter madness to even contemplate not finishing this season. Most predictions are this (social distancing) will last 2-3 months taking us until May/June. I suspect we will see games behind closed doors at the start but the season can be completed and the next one delayed until September.
Crazy that the Nat league have said their season is done. Barrow deserves to go up. Boro deserve to go down
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Robin wrote:Utter madness to even contemplate not finishing this season. Most predictions are this (social distancing) will last 2-3 months taking us until May/June. I suspect we will see games behind closed doors at the start but the season can be completed and the next one delayed until September.
Crazy that the Nat league have said their season is done. Barrow deserves to go up. Boro deserve to go down
Crazy, as it is not true. All football below the national league north and south has been called off. No update from national league meeting today yet.

The only clubs bleating from the park leads are the likes of South Shields who say that they have invested a lot so not getting promotion will cause them financial losses. Let that be a warning to others thinking of buying their up the leagues - financial doping will bite you on t ass one way or another!
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Financially, legally, morally and sportingly it is much easier to delay/change/cancel next season than it is this one.

Yes there are more important issues. So wait for the virus etc to die down and life to get back to normal and then restart the season. Even if this means not completing the season until next Spring 2021 that is more important than starting next season on time or completing next season in the same format as normal.

The point is the season must finish, not that is must finish this summer or even this year.
Yep I'm with you there