Cheltenham Town v Northampton Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
Abyssmal performanc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:...also getting rather pi****ed off with the one track commentary.
There isn’t much for them to say to be honest. Only so many ways you can say “Cheltenham give it away again”.
Shade
Biggest f#!$ bottle job I've ever seen. To think we were so confident beforehand. At least we said "you never know in football" to spare ourblushes
Ihearye
surely to God Greaves can't be any worse than Boyle
longmover
shambolic
theidlerich
Absolute garbage........ Barrow here we come; or rather there you go!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:surely to God Greaves can't be any worse than Boyle
It might still only be 2-0 if Greaves was on.
Ihearye
is the sewing Bee on tonight ?
Nham68
Cant see us getting a goal. Such a poor performance all round .
Shade
Boyle and Raglan have been woeful.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I wonder how many season ticket renewals have been lost tonight?

At least last time we lost to them we made a game of it. This is up there with the top five worst games since we first entered the football league.
theidlerich
Poor, very poor. No pressure, too late now.
Also the 'fan' commentary language is pretty awful; why has no-one thrown that individual out?

Mid table complancy next year?
asl
I'll not be doing player ratings for this match: I'd hate to put a negative spin on this performance.
longmover
biggest game of his career and his fallen apart
itsallbollox
TBH im glad I'm not there I'd be needing a neck brace watching it, bloody hoof ball.
asl
We normally reserve our worst performance of the season for the games against FGR.
Ihearye
They should have stayed on furlough and saved us and teh club some money. So all our rainy day money gone and all for that load of p!##. Not a pair of balls among them
Horteng
Shambolic

How can we be so bad after winning last week?

For the first time Duff’s come up woefully short tonight.

Very disappointed indeed
theidlerich
Forv sale; three CTFC shirts, assorted styles; two
scarves, three bobble hats and a cap!

...and I want £ for my unused ST!
:)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
itsallbollox wrote:TBH im glad I'm not there I'd be needing a neck brace watching it, bloody hoof ball.
Northampton actually got some good wing play and passing around box going. We resorted to hoof ball in embarrassing fashion. End with Tozer up front. At least when the last manager had to resort to that we were only 1-0 down!
drgm
I think playing Jonte Smith up front sent the wrong signal to the players. In other words
'We're so far in front we can play our second choice striker'
Hubert Parry
Poor Will Boyle sounds completely crestfallen. I hope someone puts their arm around him. I hope he can get over it.
CaptRustyNail
Had one of the best defenses in all the leagues... Tonight they looked slow and cumbersome. Midfield was non-existent.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Poor Will Boyle sounds completely crestfallen. I hope someone puts their arm around him. I hope he can get over it.
Yeah, hopefully Duffo can look after him. If I was Boyle I would be hurting more than anyone - being the one to make the mistake always feels worse than just being someone watching or being affected. It makes me feel sick if I make a mistake which lets down friends, family or colleagues. It only lessens with reassurance and time.
longmover
Keith Curle was right at 0-2 they had nothing to lose, we had it all to lose, we weren't mentally correct for this match. Its the big games that matter and we've come up short, AGAIN.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:Poor Will Boyle sounds completely crestfallen. I hope someone puts their arm around him. I hope he can get over it.
Yeah, hopefully Duffo can look after him. If I was Boyle I would be hurting more than anyone - being the one to make the mistake always feels worse than just being someone watching or being affected. It makes me feel sick if I make a mistake which lets down friends, family or colleagues. It only lessens with reassurance and time.
Let's hope he doesn't look at Twitter - he's getting some awful shite on there
Ihearye
Yep and teach him how to pass, head and defend. What does Greaves have to do to get that spot. Boyle was weakest in first leg and tonight he was dire. If you can't do the time etc. The giving away a goal was just a cumulation of poor play on his part. He couldn't find a pass for his life. Not that most of the other team could, but he did it in first leg and got away with it. Tonight he was just poor poor poor. should have been hauled off at half time and Greaves sent on
Malabus
Pressure was off...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Hubert Parry
Yes. Northampton had nothing to lose. We had everything to lose. I wonder whether we would be having a different conversation entirely right now if we had only had a one goal lead from the first leg.
Ralph
He's a pro football player. He needs to get over it and get ready for the new season
Ihearye
Ralph wrote:
He's a pro football player. He needs to get over it and get ready for the new season
Someone should have reminded him of that last night around 20:00
Jerry St Clair
Hubert Parry wrote:Yes. Northampton had nothing to lose. We had everything to lose. I wonder whether we would be having a different conversation entirely right now if we had only had a one goal lead from the first leg.
^This.

They'll never admit it but if I were a League Two footballer with one foot in a Wembley final, very likely to be the finest moment of my career, I might very well have injury avoidance in the back of my mind. Hence, no tackling, no effort, no courage. Seemed the whole team was afflicted by it.

Conor Thomas's goal in the first leg might have been the worst thing that could have happened.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:Yes. Northampton had nothing to lose. We had everything to lose. I wonder whether we would be having a different conversation entirely right now if we had only had a one goal lead from the first leg.
^This.

They'll never admit it but if I were a League Two footballer with one foot in a Wembley final, very likely to be the finest moment of my career, I might very well have injury avoidance in the back of my mind. Hence, no tackling, no effort, no courage. Seemed the whole team was afflicted by it.

Conor Thomas's goal in the first leg might have been the worst thing that could have happened.
It did very look like Duff sent them out to avoid injury and avoid bookings. As in so many sports, setting out to avoid mistakes often makes them more likely.

Whether holding back on your serve in tennis, not playing scoring shots in cricket, playing a slow stroke just to make the fairway in golf rather than going for the green, etc.

That change in mindset effects the way you play, knocks you out of your usual rhythm and you end up making more mistakes than if you just set out to play normally. And when you start half-paced it is almost impossible to turn it around.