Signing rumours

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
One Cheltenham signing rumour shot down in flames as Zanzala signs for Crewe. The silly season has started.
longmover
What are we going to use as cash? free tickets to the races...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FGR have signed Dan Sweeney from Barnet. I am guess with Vince’s cash they can tempt a few this summer.
Hubert Parry
Sweeney is average.

I'm not expecting many to come in, frankly. Certainly not until we know more about how income is going to be generated.
cliffy90
Ollie Clarke is a good signing for Mansfield. Former Bristol Rovers skipper.
andgarod
and where are these rumours circulating
agents , newspaper click bait or social media as it cannot be sightings in starbucks
and perhaps the Crewe signing was coming to us if we were promoted
I do expect 2 early signings and then later in the day but until we have a start date we dont need to sign bench fillers and loans
theidlerich
What positions would you look for to boost the current squad; pacy, strong CF; a couple of decent mid fielders would be my choice. Perhaps a replacement Tozer [losing pace?].
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:What positions would you look for to boost the current squad; pacy, strong CF; a couple of decent mid fielders would be my choice. Perhaps a replacement Tozer [losing pace?].
Agreed.

Tozer, Raglan and Boyle the only centre backs we have really unless Bowry breaks through. So we do need another.

Up front we have Reid and May, backed up by Addai, Lloyd and Campbell. Five should be enough in the current climate so if we do get one in I think we need to get one or two out.

Midfield: it has been problematic all season in terms of Thomas and Clements sometimes being too off the pace and not doing the nitty gritty.

Clements has not signed yet so we actually only have Broom and Thomas on the books. So we definitely need a couple of strong midfielders.
andgarod
a 20 goal a season CF ( hard to come by unless MD has someone from U23s
Holding midfield doing the dirty work like Penn
I thought we were actually starting to see that from Ince
LWB /CB cover

I assume we will rely on loans but do we get a reserve keeper or a loan keeper

I hope we get 2 signings quickly then we need 5 loans and a few bench warmers nearer the start time
Robin
Other than possibly Doyle-Hayes I wouldn't expect any quick signings. The clubs signing players right now are largely those with a rich benefactor, so for the rest there won't be much movement at least until there is clarity of when next season will start (Mid-September seems to be the assumption) and whether there will be any crowds permitted (possibility there will be likely capacity limitations).

In terms of who we will likely go for, we are definitely trying to sign JDH, I'd also feel pretty certain we want a midfield enforcer, at least one striker,, backup keeper a defender and someone who can cover left back. I'd imagine we are probably looking at no more than 2-3 permanent signings and 4-5 loans given we have sixteen signed off and Clements offered a new (reduced) deal. Although I suspect we will offload Tav Campbell if we can find a conference club willing to take him or bulk of his wages on loan.
theidlerich
Interesting, above; I was conjecturing [is that a word?]. Until the EFL, FA and CTFC know what, when etc the season will start and in what form and finance marginally clearer I do not expect movement any time soon. Suspect virtually all clubs will have a massive clear out., if not already and a few gems may be on the horizon.
As a ST I'm also interested in hearing how am I going to be compensated for the games lost; bearing in mind I am also one of the many that has to wait [patiently!] for a tried and tested vaccine! [:(]
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Interesting, above; I was conjecturing [is that a word?]. Until the EFL, FA and CTFC know what, when etc the season will start and in what form and finance marginally clearer I do not expect movement any time soon. Suspect virtually all clubs will have a massive clear out., if not already and a few gems may be on the horizon.
As a ST I'm also interested in hearing how am I going to be compensated for the games lost; bearing in mind I am also one of the many that has to wait [patiently!] for a tried and tested vaccine! [:(]
If you mean the season just gone, you have missed the deadline for refunds:

“However we fully understand that is simply not possible for others and we invite purchasers to get in touch with the club at tickets@ctfc.com by Friday, June 26 at the latest to request a full refund, which we will honour.”

If talking about next season, then I assume that ST prices will discounted if the season has to start without fans.

If fans (even in limited numbers) can attend all 23 games then no need for tickets to be refunded. If you choose to wait for a vaccine before attending then that’s not the Club’s problem - your choice whether to buy an ST but miss games or not to buy an ST ultimately.

If attendances are limited to season ticket holders only (say anywhere between 1-2,000) then maybe iFollow will be better and you can watch all games that way with a digital season ticket?
Si Robin
Whilst you have missed the deadline theidlerich, I'd still email and ask. I'm sure the club would look to respond in as positive way as possible.
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: If you mean the season just gone, you have missed the deadline for refunds:

“However we fully understand that is simply not possible for others and we invite purchasers to get in touch with the club at tickets@ctfc.com by Friday, June 26 at the latest to request a full refund, which we will honour.”
I am somewhat dismayed by this, as I've had no contact from the club notifying me of this deadline. Where did you obtain this information?

Whilst I'm happy to forego a refund, in order to help with the club finances, I'm not happy with the lack of communication!
Si Robin
It was posted on Twitter, Facebook and on the official website. I think it was also on Instagram.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
My copy and paste was from Mark Halliwell’s article on the Echo (Gloucestershire Live) website.

I think JP may have posted the link on here, but not sure.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... er-4214623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
I also received an email from the club on 11 June. Short of writing a letter or a telephone call, I'm not sure what more the club could have done.
theidlerich
Totally news to me; have just emailed CTFC and await their reply with interest!
...but then out here in the sticks.......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I too received an email on the 11th June.

Subject heading: Let's finish the season together
tunnelvision
Si Robin wrote:It was posted on Twitter, Facebook and on the official website. I think it was also on Instagram.
It shouldn't be necessary to monitor social media to get important club news. From the email dates provided by others, I was eventually able to find the information buried in the middle of a ticketing update on the club site - no obvious title to indicate refunds or deadlines! :roll: An email would have been the minimum expected in the circumstances.

To me, this is just another example of the very poor level of communications provided by the club, on various aspects. :(
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
Si Robin wrote:It was posted on Twitter, Facebook and on the official website. I think it was also on Instagram.
It shouldn't be necessary to monitor social media to get important club news. From the email dates provided by others, I was eventually able to find the information buried in the middle of a ticketing update on the club site - no obvious title to indicate refunds or deadlines! :roll: An email would have been the minimum expected in the circumstances.

To me, this is just another example of the very poor level of communications provided by the club, on various aspects. :(
Did you not get the email? Checked your spam and other filters?
Shade
I didn't get an email but knew about it from both here and facebook. With things in the world as they are at the moment, you have to cut them some slack. People are/were on furlough and I think I read that only one person was working in the office around the time this was happening.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Signing number two for FGR. Nicky Cadden from Scottish Championship side Greenock Morton.

Judging by this tweet from Greenock’s official account, it is Vince’s chequebook working the magic again:

“Confirmation that Nicky Cadden has signed with Forrest Green Rovers. We had offered a 2-year deal with a healthy uplift prior to lockdown, but Nicky chose to exercise his right to move on. Well respected by everyone at the club and whilst disappointed we wish him well.”
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Signing number two for FGR. Nicky Cadden from Scottish Championship side Greenock Morton.

Judging by this tweet from Greenock’s official account, it is Vince’s chequebook working the magic again:

“Confirmation that Nicky Cadden has signed with Forrest Green Rovers. We had offered a 2-year deal with a healthy uplift prior to lockdown, but Nicky chose to exercise his right to move on. Well respected by everyone at the club and whilst disappointed we wish him well.”

FGR continuing their strategy of signing younger players with potential.
Fair play to them really.
As he's 23 and been offered a new contract from his club in Scotland would FGR have to agree compensation with them?
Robin
As I said it's mostly the clubs with rich benefactors like FGR, Mansfield and Salford active in the transfer market right now. The rest of the clubs will hold out until they know whether the season will start in September or October and whether fans will be able to attend before signing players I suspect. I am assuming we'll have provisional answers to those questions within the next 2-3 weeks at which point we will see transfer activity really pick up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Signing number two for FGR. Nicky Cadden from Scottish Championship side Greenock Morton.

FGR continuing their strategy of signing younger players with potential.
Fair play to them really.
As he's 23 and been offered a new contract from his club in Scotland would FGR have to agree compensation with them?
And the next one. 19 year old from Blackburn.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... rn-rovers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And the best FGR signing so far. Kane Wilson, 20 year old full back released by West Brom who played 17 games for L1 Tranmere this season.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/play ... r_id=92840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GrahamPC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:And the best FGR signing so far. Kane Wilson, 20 year old full back released by West Brom who played 17 games for L1 Tranmere this season.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/play ... r_id=92840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I smile at TRN obsession with FGR signings.
But I will say they are being quick off the mark.

Last season it was CT and presumably because 'them from Nailsworth' were involved in a play-off they were late.
Now it is a case of roles reversed for exact same reason.
Robin
I have added the annual summer transfer thread as a sticky within this forum so we can all keep track of what is happening. However as I mentioned before right now it's only the clubs with rich benefactors (plus Crawley) making any signings.
Shade
GrahamPC wrote:
Last season it was CT and presumably because 'them from Nailsworth' were involved in a play-off they were late.
I don't think anything about this summer/situation can be described as "exact same reason". The reason we, and 95% of other lower league clubs haven't done any business yet is purely down to not knowing what the hell is going on. FGR are making the signing because they can just throw money around and know that the boss will bail them out. They operate on having no crowd, anyway, so this is nothing new to them...
GrahamPC
Shade wrote:
GrahamPC wrote:
I don't think anything about this summer/situation can be described as "exact same reason". The reason we, and 95% of other lower league clubs haven't done any business yet is purely down to not knowing what the hell is going on. FGR are making the signing because they can just throw money around and know that the boss will bail them out. They operate on having no crowd, anyway, so this is nothing new to them...
It is a case of both clubs were slow off the starting blocks after the play-offs because neither knew in which league they would be playing until weeks after season had ended for other clubs.
Last season FGR participated in play offs are were slow and this season it was Cheltenham's turn.