Next season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Don't shoot the messenger but I've heard next season is not likely to begin until October now. However the good news is by then EFL are hopeful crowds will be able to return in a limited capacity (potentially as high as 50%). If so that means our capacity would be 3600 which is roughly our average attendance so not too destabilizing on our wage bill.
paperboy
From an economic point of view I guess it makes sense to wait until a viable number of spectators can attend.
Robin
Yes, I believe this is the reasoning behind the delay but it's likely based on projections of the virus spread which are clearly volatile.
horlickfanclub
Pinched from a fansite. "Darragh McAnthony (Peterborough chairman) has said on his podcast that there was an EFL meeting on Friday. Looking at either an August 29th or September 12th start for next season."
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Pinched from a fansite. "Darragh McAnthony (Peterborough chairman) has said on his podcast that there was an EFL meeting on Friday. Looking at either an August 29th or September 12th start for next season."
Not sure we should set any stall by what that gobshite says.
Robin
As I understood it mid-September was the likely date but now likely to be pushed back to allow crowds to return. Would be sheer madness to bring the date earlier knowing crowds won't be able to attend and clubs would lose money.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Pinched from a fansite. "Darragh McAnthony (Peterborough chairman) has said on his podcast that there was an EFL meeting on Friday. Looking at either an August 29th or September 12th start for next season."
Not sure we should set any stall by what that gobshite says.
Shrewsbury's website also had a statement saying the same thing.
Robin
Interesting, I'm curious to understand why they would bring it forward rather than wait for crowds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Interesting, I'm curious to understand why they would bring it forward rather than wait for crowds.
Sky?
Si Robin
https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/202 ... l-meeting/

Brian Caldwell provides an insight into yesterday's EFL meeting.

Yesterday afternoon, representatives from Sky Bet EFL League One clubs gathered to discuss a number of topics regarding the return of football next season.

CEO Brian Caldwell who was in attendance at yesterday’s meeting provided the supporters with the following update which covered a number of topics that are crucial for a successful start to next season.

EFL & SGSA Social Distancing and return of crowds

“The EFL stated that they have been in discussion with the government for several weeks now regarding fans returning safely to grounds with social distancing measure still in place.

“They are currently looking at this around reduced capacity in stadiums”

“The EFL are working closely with the SGSA on a study to look at crowd flows and social distancing to help ensure some form of fans can return to games safely on a potential reduced attendance.

“I think the main thing for fans to take away from this is that everything is being done to try and ensure fans can return to matches as soon as possible providing it’s safe of course. It was mentioned that they are working closely with government and the relevant authorities with the goal of hopefully having the possibility of fans even on reduced attendances returning for the start of next season all being well.

Streaming (iFollow)

“The EFL updated Clubs on the potential for streaming of matches but stressed that streaming is a Plan B and all efforts must be put towards allowing fans to return to matches safely. Streaming is not being viewed as a replacement for fans in the stadium but as an alternative.”

Start Dates 20/21 Season

“At the moment working around the international break on the 5th of September, would leave us with two potential start dates, either the 29th of August or the 12th of September.

“If we were to vote on the 29th of August that would mean nine midweek matches instead of the normal five, with no runs of three league midweek games in a row.

“If we were to vote on the 12th of September this would firstly mean a broken start to the new campaign as some Clubs may have players away on international duty for up to ten days. On top of that, midweek matches would become 11 instead of five therefore meaning that there could be three midweek games back to back. Part of the issue is the loss of furlough from an earlier return on 29th August.

“Either option will cause a backload which is why it’s important to try and get crowds in if we can.”

The club will continue to update the fans as soon as we have any more updates from the EFL.
Robin
Interesting Si Robin, could league one start at a different time than league two potentially? I definitely heard it may be pushed back to October as EFL had some assurance from government crowds of 50% should be feasible by that point.

Also I heard Bolton are going for it and offering big money deals to the likes of Eoin Doyle and Sarcivic from Plymouth, some clubs just cannot stop spending less than a year from almost going bust.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is this a classic case of one Robin’s “sources” not knowing more than an actual owner of a football club who attends EFL meetings?
Robin
Wouldn't say it's "one of my sources" but the person it came from is a journalist and should have a good grasp on what is happening but of course may not be correct.
Shade
If pubs are already open, and Cineworld can re-open on 31st July, I see no reason why open-air football stadia can't be partially open by then, especially at League 2 and lower level where crowds are usually (save for a couple of clubs in the division) much smaller anyway. Assuming socially distanced seating is put into effect and the capacity is lowered, the turnstiles and toilets are the biggest problems to overcome.
Robin
Coming back to this apparently there is going to be a vote on when next season starts. We should know in the coming weeks what is decided either 12th September or 29th August, October now ruled out despite some clubs wanting to wait for crowds to return.
Robin
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ext-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously the situation is fluid but the Guardian is reporting no away fans next season, no half time toilets either but we may be able to bring drinks into the stadium to avoid bunching up. Also every other seat would be empty and clubs to operate on a third of capacity so ours would be 2400 I believe.
GrahamPC
Robin wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ext-season

Obviously the situation is fluid but the Guardian is reporting no away fans next season, no half time toilets either but we may be able to bring drinks into the stadium to avoid bunching up. Also every other seat would be empty and clubs to operate on a third of capacity so ours would be 2400 I believe.
No toilets at half time:- MADNESS

On a cold winter day, when everybody has had a warm drink before game, stopping people going to the loo will encourage some to have a pee in the stands.
asl
No toilets would probably be illegal.

Leaving at least one seat between each family grouping is fine - until someone needs to move around (e.g. those toilets.) Dunno how it would work in the standing areas, though.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
Si Robin
GrahamPC wrote:
Robin wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ext-season

No toilets at half time:- MADNESS

On a cold winter day, when everybody has had a warm drink before game, stopping people going to the loo will encourage some to have a pee in the stands.
Closing them at half-time will simply encourage people to go during the game. Ultimately, you may miss 2 mins whilst you go. I don't see it as too much of an issue myself.
asl
Personally, I loathe using *any* public toilets - and I'd have to be desperate, indeed, to consider using those in any football ground of a lower standard than, say, Wembley. I'm fortunate enough to have a bladder the size of a beach ball (that I don't pre-fill with lager) so this wouldn't bother me. Other people have medical reasons for needing to go more often so 'holding it in', for them, isn't an option.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If there are no away fans and capacity is reduced then I can’t see toilets being an issue. Two sets of toilets in the CF and how many in Hazlewoods...then how many are going to need to go at half time if also allowed to go before and during play?

Can put up some Perspex screens to ensure people spread out at the trough, only allow 6 in and 4 queueing at anyone time. Don’t allow anymore than that into the concourse beneath the stand which is no problem if catering closed.
paperboy
The club could start selling self- catheterization kits. :)
Robin
Honestly I don't see an issue with closing toilets at half time, especially with crowds probably limited to 2400. People will just need go during the game if they need to - not to mention it's likely the virus will still be around so who wants to go in a public toilet which is potentially a breeding ground for the virus!

The bigger issue for me is how you keep people apart in the stands, are we expecting social distancing to be gone by then because everything I hear is this new normal will be around for the remainder of the year at a minimum. Also presumably given the limited capacity and social distancing measures there will be no cash transactions at turnstiles so season tickets/advance sales only.
paperboy
...well it might bring us into the 21st century with un-manned turnstiles and barcode scaning.
Not the best time to be investing in that I suppose though.
Having a reduced capacity might encourage more season ticket sales so that supporters know that they have priority access to matches,but could miss out otherwise.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I quite like having an empty seat either side of me. Gives more room to, allows for moving legs around, leaning on back the neighbouring chair etc so I will be perfectly happy. Might even bring a brick to weight down the next seat and to keep my coffee on.

Digital and contactless entry and payments (if catering is open) is long overdue. All Covid has done is show up those businesses which lag behind and forces them to get with the times.

And for the toilets easy enough to get an automatic door, contactless taps, soap and dryers.

It should be straight forward enough for me to be able to go to WR and touch nothing but my seat and whatever I am carrying (ticket and programme on phone/iPad, coffee cup, etc).

I know lower league Boardrooms are not generally the most with it of places but based on what we have seen from M Toms and what P Bence was saying on the Zoom call we do have some good Directors who understand the basics of the modern world.

A lot of places around the U.K. are giving grants and support to SMEs to adopt digital payments, contactless tech, etc so if Gloucestershire LEP or any of the LAs do this then the Club will be able to tap in to that.
Shade
I also much prefer an empty seat at least to one side of me. Especially if it means that I haven't got the usual gobshite in my earhole.

I'm with asl...I have to be severely ill before considering using them and my bladder is well trained for all other occasions :lol:
Hubert Parry
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I quite like having an empty seat either side of me. Gives more room to, allows for moving legs around, leaning on back the neighbouring chair etc so I will be perfectly happy. Might even bring a brick to weight down the next seat and to keep my coffee on.

Digital and contactless entry and payments (if catering is open) is long overdue. All Covid has done is show up those businesses which lag behind and forces them to get with the times.

And for the toilets easy enough to get an automatic door, contactless taps, soap and dryers.

It should be straight forward enough for me to be able to go to WR and touch nothing but my seat and whatever I am carrying (ticket and programme on phone/iPad, coffee cup, etc).

I know lower league Boardrooms are not generally the most with it of places but based on what we have seen from M Toms and what P Bence was saying on the Zoom call we do have some good Directors who understand the basics of the modern world.

A lot of places around the U.K. are giving grants and support to SMEs to adopt digital payments, contactless tech, etc so if Gloucestershire LEP or any of the LAs do this then the Club will be able to tap in to that.
You're not putting a brick oh my seat! :lol:

Perhaps we should have a rotation system as many offices are implementing! If so, I hope Mr "They're a nothing side" (known to many in the middle block of the CF Stand) is on the other rotation.
Robin
As we edge closer to the return of crowds how do we feel season ticket sales will go? On one side with expected limited capacity they will increase demand to ensure people have access but on the other side I can see people being very cautious with the commitment given that a second wave or local lockdown could arise at any time in the coming months.

At this stage I feel I'd probably take one and be willing to accept I-Follow for any games which are played behind closed doors.
Hubert Parry
I'll get one. I probably only ever go to 5 games a season. I buy it mainly to support the club financially and to have a guaranteed seat in the house.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am the same as Hubert although I will try and make more games this coming season than usual as after enduring lockdown I am itching to do more visiting of friends and family around the country.

I think we will sell roughly the same assuming availability in all parts of the ground is proportionally the same as now. Whilst there may be some who purchase who usually don’t so they can go to games there may be some who can’t (ill) or won’t (scared) and it will balance out in the wash.

The big unknown is whether areas like the Paddock and C&G have their capacity reduced a lot more than other parts of the ground. I.e because terracing capacity relies on people being more densely packed in than the stands, to achieve the same distancing a higher percentage of capacity has to be reduced.

If that is the case then will demand for the C&G outstrip supply and would those fans be willing to pay more for a seating ticket?

Perhaps the Hazlewoods can be sold at a cheaper price than the CF?
Horteng
Robin wrote:As we edge closer to the return of crowds how do we feel season ticket sales will go? On one side with expected limited capacity they will increase demand to ensure people have access but on the other side I can see people being very cautious with the commitment given that a second wave or local lockdown could arise at any time in the coming months.

At this stage I feel I'd probably take one and be willing to accept I-Follow for any games which are played behind closed doors.
News to me that we are?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:
Robin wrote:As we edge closer to the return of crowds how do we feel season ticket sales will go? On one side with expected limited capacity they will increase demand to ensure people have access but on the other side I can see people being very cautious with the commitment given that a second wave or local lockdown could arise at any time in the coming months.

News to me that we are?
Here is the news for you, from Thursday:

“It is expected that supporters will be allowed to return to English league stadiums in some form from September, if the progress of the coronavirus pandemic allows, but there are many challenges to making such an ambition work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ext-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;