Another lockdown ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Ah, so hindered rather than blocked. Not really the EU’s fault. Either we agree to a hard border between NI and Ireland, the U.K. has alignment with the EU as part of an FTA, or if NI is aligned with Ireland we have a ‘border in the Irish Sea’.

Those three options have been the case since 2016 and it is up to the U.K. to decide which. Not rocket science.

Anyway, back in topic, things like the Dominic Cummings leaving home with Covid symptoms etc which is more likely to undermine trust in the Government and impact on compliance. But ultimate, as Share alludes to, it is the growing adoption of lunatic conspiracy theories by more and more people in society which is the biggest threat.

I like the sound of not treating people who refuse a vaccine!
OK then, explain to us all. If the EU , as they are still to do, do not give put GB approved country status. How does a producer in GB, send his produce to NI. Given the EU would then, not be accepting GB food standards.
Once you explain that to me, I can rest at ease..
Erm, you what? Because the EU have no jurisdiction over NI or movement of goods within the U.K. Nothing more to it than that. I cannot fathom what on Earth you are imagining.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
This I do agree with.

And progress is being made now in pubs at least. The new restrictions make it law for pubs etc to only use table service and any venues found not to be doing that, or having tables too close together will be fined and closed. More onus is being placed on venue to ensure compliance rather than people.

Increased fines for people not wearing masks may be less effective as this does require enforcement. I have seen shop staff threatened and abused for asking people to wear masks, and my local baker no longer asks due to fear of attack.

The mask compliance is a real issue. But the anti-mask commentators on social media (Nigel Farage, Julia Hartley-Brewer, Isabel Oakeshott, Darren Grimes, and the rest of the Vote Leave cabal) are playing to their audience and whipping them up into a frenzy. It worked for them to win the Brexit referendum, it worked for them on turning back immigrant boats, and it seems to be working for them on masks.

When you have a 50 year old skin head with St George Cross and Union Flag tattoos refusing to wear a mask and getting aggressive there is not much you can expect an 18 year old girl on minimum wage to do.

How to enforce the wearing of masks when it is now such a political issue is hard to solve without having police and security guards in every shop. You can guarantee that if police start cracking down on anti-maskers in shops that Farage will emerge more energetically with a refocused Brexit Party, which is what Boris and Cummings are frightened of.
Right on cue as predicted. Martin Daubney, former Brexit Party MEP, Farage wannabe and TV/Talk Radio rent-a-gob on Twitter tonight:

“Every single sentence of Boris’s COVID speech filled me with abject despair. We are sleepwalking towards economic disaster & dictatorial rule that has no bias in logic nor science. We need a new political movement to combat this negativity!!”

(This is the type of person Ihearye gets his nonsense about food blockades from!)