League Two Rivals Tonight

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Carlisle: OFF

Exeter: OFF

Salford 3-0 Cambridge at half time (5.30 KO)

Newport, Bolton, Tranmere all 7pm KO
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
4-0 Salford

Hopefully this is the start of a bad run for Cambridge
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morecambe equaliser on 83 mins.

Newport 1-0 going into the last five.

Tranmere go 1-0 on 82 mins.

Means we are third as it stands. A late goal for either of the North West sides changes that.
little mo
Get in :D :D
Nesty
an awesome set of results........
Fuller
Nesty wrote:an awesome set of results........
Wouldn't get too excited. We're only just over halfway through the season.....
Lots of twists and turns to come yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:
Nesty wrote:an awesome set of results........
Wouldn't get too excited. We're only just over halfway through the season.....
Lots of twists and turns to come yet.
Regardless of the stage of the season it is still fantastic when most of our rivals drop points!
Joey
Grimsby bottom of the league now too :D
CTFCfan99
Joey wrote:Grimsby bottom of the league now too :D
Ironically they're arguably the best side we've played so far, although they did get away with the early penalty/red.
robinsrule
And we made Barrow look like Barcelona too!
Shade
I'm shocked that Southend have actually done as well as they have...if 23rd and 23 points from 27 games can be classed as doing well... I thought they would be cut adrift and sunk by now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only two games on in L2 today. Cambridge at home is the only thing of relevance to us. They have already played two more games than us, so if they don’t win then we end the day better off than we started.
ctfc-fan
Great result for us from Cambridge.
Ihearye
sometimes difficult to work the logic out on here.
First it is good that we have points on the board and Carlisle who are 2 points behind us, have a fixture problem looming
Then, It is OK that Cambridge are getting through their games and getting points. Because we have 3 games in hand?
don't think you can argue both
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:sometimes difficult to work the logic out on here.
First it is good that we have points on the board and Carlisle who are 2 points behind us, have a fixture problem looming
Then, It is OK that Cambridge are getting through their games and getting points. Because we have 3 games in hand?
They aren’t the same...we have three in hand in Cambridge as do most sides. But we do do not have the horrific build up which Carlisle have...they are six games behind Cambridge and three behind most teams.

Had Cambridge won then a different story, but the draw means one of our games in hand become a free hit in essence...we get two bites at the cherry.
ctfc-fan
1 point for Cambridge was better than all 3
Red Duke
Excluding the Easter week, Carlisle are playing Tuesday & Saturday for the rest of the season bar the final week.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
They aren’t the same...we have three in hand in Cambridge as do most sides. But we do do not have the horrific build up which Carlisle have...they are six games behind Cambridge and three behind most teams.

Had Cambridge won then a different story, but the draw means one of our games in hand become a free hit in essence...we get two bites at the cherry.
I can't see where I was discussing the relative position of Cambridge vis a vis us and Carlisle. What I am saying, just a few matches ago, the view on here as far as our position and Carlisle was that it was better to have points on the board, than have games in hand. In this compact season. We have 3 in hand over Cambridge, who are 5 points ahead of us. That is seen as a benefit to us. On the same hand, Carlisle are 2 points behind us, and also have 3 games in hand. But when debating that the view often expressed is that, they are building up quite a backlog and it is better to have points on the board.
Just saying that you can't argue both.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

I can't see where I was discussing the relative position of Cambridge vis a vis us and Carlisle. What I am saying, just a few matches ago, the view on here as far as our position and Carlisle was that it was better to have points on the board, than have games in hand. In this compact season. We have 3 in hand over Cambridge, who are 5 points ahead of us. That is seen as a benefit to us. On the same hand, Carlisle are 2 points behind us, and also have 3 games in hand. But when debating that the view often expressed is that, they are building up quite a backlog and it is better to have points on the board.
Just saying that you can't argue both.
It is not the case of us having points on the board, it is a case of Carlisle having a horrendous backlog. They are likely to have some Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday combinations at some point...fair play if they win them but it is a position no club would want to be in.

Us, FGR, and most of the top 6 all have two or three games on Cambridge. It is a benefit to us all, and it is not to much to make up. Carlisle have so many games to make up it is a disadvantage to them.

They are two different arguments:

1. Is it beneficial to have a couple of games in hand? Yes.

2. Is it beneficial to have too many games to make up in the time available? No.
Ben3
Meanwhile, whilst the Punch and Judy / RCS and Confused? show runs its course .... the league is incredibly open. I can't pretend to know if this is normal, due to lockdown I've taken far closer notice this year.

Could anyone tell us if in the last 5 or so seasons, at this point (about 26/27 games in), positions 1-9 have been covered with only 8 points and 2-9 by only 4? Every week a win or loss could move us up or down five or six places.

It's there for the taking
Shade
I'm pretty sure the argument is Cambridge not winning is a good result for us. Yes, we would rather have played but we couldn't, so it's good that the leaders dropped points to lowly Southend. It's not rocket science. Meanwhile, Carlisle will struggle. It's not the same argument.
Shade
Ben3 wrote:Meanwhile, whilst the Punch and Judy / RCS and Confused? show runs its course .... the league is incredibly open. I can't pretend to know if this is normal, due to lockdown I've taken far closer notice this year.

Could anyone tell us if in the last 5 or so seasons, at this point (about 26/27 games in), positions 1-9 have been covered with only 8 points and 2-9 by only 4? Every week a win or loss could move us up or down five or six places.

It's there for the taking
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been this close in a long, long time, if ever. But, at the same time, I can't imagine a team that was second, and not many points clear of the teams below, ever went on a run of 7 games without a win and still only dropped to 8th, and back up to 3rd with two wins and a draw. Any runs of form are shot-lived. Based on what has happened, we, or anyone else for that matter, could easily run away with the league with 5 or 6 straight wins and steady form after that. I feel we are most likely to do that, given we have only produced a handful of bad performances all season, and we just need to find the scoring touch. Touch wood, our defence appears to have tightened up again and we are making less mistakes than earlier in the season. Only Salford have conceded fewer...but they should have 3 or 4 more to their total as we should have demolished them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Exeter winning.

In the two head-to-heads Carlisle-Tranmere currently a draw which is great, AND LIVE EDIT: Morecambe equaliser in the 94th minute against Salford!!!

If the two head to heads finish as draws then that is a superb set of results.

Newport (just about still a rival) and FGR are not playing.

EDIT OF THE EDIT: 96th min winner for Morecambe!!! Class of ‘92 get a taste of their own.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tranmere take the lead at Carlisle in the 88th min.
Shade
Shame about Tranmere winning but it looks as if Carlisle's shot at 1st/automatic will probably be over, as we all would have suspected with so many games to cram I'm. Got to feel for them a little bit as they looked like they would be the team to run away with it before the run of postponements derailed them. They can still do it, of course, but I thimk they needed to hit the ground running rather than find form and then claw it back later on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Newport keep fighting. One up with 20 to go. Keeps them at five points from us from the same games. If they let the lead slip, the gap starts to look significant.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Newport win. They keep their place in the ‘rivals’ thread.
Red Duke
After Newport and Southend wins, the league table is a little unusual. The top ten clubs are separated by one point.
CTFCfan99
Red Duke wrote:After Newport and Southend wins, the league table is a little unusual. The top ten clubs are separated by one point.
Good spot! I wonder how often that's happened, if ever, at this stage of a season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No head to heads today amongst our rivals. On paper it should be victories across the board. Some will slip up, and hopefully it is not us.

Exeter, Tranmere, Morecambe, Cambridge and Salford all playing away.

Newport and FGR at home.
Fuller
Why does the FGR game kick off at 5.30pm ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Why does the FGR game kick off at 5.30pm ?
No idea. Nor why Exeter started at 1pm.

Speaking of which, Exeter lose today and have a player sent off.
Shade
Fuller wrote:Why does the FGR game kick off at 5.30pm ?
I haven't looked but I assumed it was because the game was on Sky or something?

Port Vale v Cambridge seemed to kick off at 3.15 for some reason.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Half times:

Tranmere winning away 1-0.

Morecambe losing away 1-0.

Salford 0-0 away.

Newport 0-0 at home.

Cambridge 0-0 away after 35 mins. Game delayed 15 mins due to traffic jam on the M6 - that was revealed live by the Cambridge manager when he was interviewed from the team bus on 5Live about 1pm.

When looking to see what games were on TV this weekend FGR was not one of them. Maybe they have more people streaming in America than the UK so changed the time for that?
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 27 Feb 2021, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
Just seen Colchester requested the 5.30 at FGR so that they didn't have to pay for an overnighter, had plenty of time to travel down today and prepare.