Still in our hands.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Luckily Newport lost at Port Vale so top three is still in our hands.

Tranmere the big winners. Two games in hand on us now. They can close to two points tomorrow and the title is theirs to take. But, anything can happen as we saw tonight.
Shade
I'd say FGR fans are pretty happy given they're a point behind with a game in Hans and would win the league if they win every game. It's in THEIR hands. But I'm sure there will be more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.
Malabus
We are far too inconsistent... one game we turn up and the next we dont. True and genuine promotion will not come our way this season. Not good enough, perhaps the board doesn't want promotion, we dont know what goes on behind closed doors.
Malabus
Shade wrote:I'd say FGR fans are pretty happy given they're a point behind with a game in Hans and would win the league if they win every game. It's in THEIR hands. But I'm sure there will be more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.

After tonight the title is theirs without a doubt. 100%.
Hubert Parry
We might be inconsistent but so far we are the most consistently good team, tonight notwithstanding.
Fuller
Our squad just isn’t strong enough or big enough to cope.
The subs come on and make zero impact.
Too many inexperienced players that are unable to change the game.
I’ll be surprised if we get automatic now after two out of the last three performances.
Not good enough sorry. To be honest we played better all round football last season. We’ve missed Reg and Ryan big time.
Flinders back in this Saturday?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FGR away at Cambridge on Saturday. If they don’t win they could be behind Tranmere at full time. Obviously the same goes for us and Cambridge.

Top three is all that matters, and that is in our hands.
Nham68
Fuller wrote:Our squad just isn’t strong enough or big enough to cope.
The subs come on and make zero impact.
Too many inexperienced players that are unable to change the game.
I’ll be surprised if we get automatic now after two out of the last three performances.
Not good enough sorry. To be honest we played better all round football last season. We’ve missed Reg and Ryan big time.
Flinders back in this Saturday?
Yep, I think Flinders would be a good call. Maybe give Josh a rest. Didn’t cover himself in glory tonight !
COYR
Josh had a howler tonight, Tozer's air kick and the missed header for the throw in obviously contributed but he looked all other the place with dropped shots and a couple dodgy kicks.

He will have a very good career but he is clearly still developing and I wonder how well he communicates with the back line? Perhaps Flinders coming in might be the right call now.
longmover
These results put so much pressure on getting a result Saturday which in turn wipes them out for Tuesday, and so and so on
CTFCfan99
COYR wrote:Josh had a howler tonight, Tozer's air kick and the missed header for the throw in obviously contributed but he looked all other the place with dropped shots and a couple dodgy kicks.

He will have a very good career but he is clearly still developing and I wonder how well he communicates with the back line? Perhaps Flinders coming in might be the right call now.
Agreed, with the position we're in we need our best players on the pitch despite whatever agreement we might have with WBA.
Nesty
Malabus wrote:We are far too inconsistent... one game we turn up and the next we dont. True and genuine promotion will not come our way this season. Not good enough, perhaps the board doesn't want promotion, we dont know what goes on behind closed doors.
I usually agree with you, but do you really think we would deliberately "throw" games to avoid promotion ??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:
COYR wrote:Josh had a howler tonight, Tozer's air kick and the missed header for the throw in obviously contributed but he looked all other the place with dropped shots and a couple dodgy kicks.

Agreed, with the position we're in we need our best players on the pitch despite whatever agreement we might have with WBA.
What about the players that got us to this position?
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
CTFCfan99 wrote:

What about the players that got us to this position?
Fair point - but we'd arguably be in an even better position without the player in question. Impossible to say for sure but from what we've seen of Flinders, he wouldn't have made the same mistakes.
HamTown
Well its on the front page of skysports again, all publicity is good publicity right?

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... cheltenham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COYR
Freestone misread the flight of the ball for the second which caused all the confusion.
PittvillePundit
Top of the league, still an excellent chance of automatic promotion and still people moan.

This is a highly competitive league folks!
Red Duke
PittvillePundit wrote:Top of the league, still an excellent chance of automatic promotion and still people moan.

This is a highly competitive league folks!
New chant for when fans get back:

"We only moan when we're losing, moan when we're losing, we only moan when we're losing"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Neither FGR or Tranmere can overtake us with their game in hand. Both sides four points behind.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A post on the match thread prompted me to bump this thread.

It is still in our hands, the title not just promotion, with nine games to go.

No matter what happened today, what a position to be in.
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A post on the match thread prompted me to bump this thread.

It is still in our hands, the title not just promotion, with nine games to go.

No matter what happened today, what a position to be in.
A wise post, agreed ;)
Ralph
We have to go up automatically. We won't go up via the playoffs
Malabus
"STILL IN OUR HANDS".......and thats the scary part.
Nesty
we need to beat Tranmere on Friday
Hubert Parry
We can win lose or draw on Friday and still go up automatically.

I remember going to see Wycombe v Bristol Rovers on the penultimate game of the season where Bristol Rovers beat Wycombe and thought that had clinched their survival, only for the final game to see Wycombe leapfrog Bristol Rovers and see the latter relegated into the National League.

It would certainly be helpful not to lose on Friday but I should not throw in the towel if we do.
everyman
It will be a great relief if we win this one, as we do have a propensity to disappoint on these occasions :(
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:we need to beat Tranmere on Friday
We need six wins currently. If we lose to Tranmere, we still have eight games left to secure them. So it is not must win.

Certainly a nice to win!
Shade
The players must go out with the attitude that they have to win, so should we be any different? Got to aim to win the league, not try and finish in the top 3.

Title or nothing. Do or die.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:The players must go out with the attitude that they have to win, so should we be any different? Got to aim to win the league, not try and finish in the top 3.

Title or nothing. Do or die.
One hopes we go in to every game trying to win.
Shade
Indeed. So why should us fans think anything other than the same? I certainly won't be watching tomorrow thinking "it will be ok if we don't win this as we will have another 8 games to get there". The games are starting to run out. At the moment we are just in credit (ie, we will be top if we win our game in hand and nobody can catch us if we win all our games), but lose or draw tomorrow and we will be playing catch up.
Nesty
Shade wrote:Indeed. So why should us fans think anything other than the same? I certainly won't be watching tomorrow thinking "it will be ok if we don't win this as we will have another 8 games to get there". The games are starting to run out. At the moment we are just in credit (ie, we will be top if we win our game in hand and nobody can catch us if we win all our games), but lose or draw tomorrow and we will be playing catch up.
WE WILL WIN....................
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As Duffo said in his live interview on Sky seconds ago...if we lose today and Monday we still have enough games to get enough points to go up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Even more in our hands now.
PittvillePundit
Even more post Morecambe 1 Southend 1
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bumping this again before people over react.