Cooper sacked

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
Well well well
CTFCfan99
They had to do it really. Needed to change something or they'd have missed the playoffs the way they're going.
everyman
NO ! That`s not good news he was great for us :lol:
paperboy
Correct decision.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/club-statement-mark-cooper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Odd that under 18s coach takes over till end of season although that doesn't preclude them bringing in an " adviser" and they still have a head of recruitment.

I'm not a Cooper fan but in fairness they have lost the spine of their team this season with Kitching, Winchester leaving and Matt getting injured.
Difficult to think they haven't got someone lined up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Makes sense. They were going to be overtaken by the five teams below them if he stayed, so Vince obviously wants to try and have a bounce and stay in the playoffs.

They might do us a favour against Tranmere on 1st May now, if we haven’t got the job done by then.
Horteng
Cheers for the 4 points this season

FFG
ctfc-fan
Love it! Something about that bloke I really can’t stand. He wouldn’t even look at the camera yesterday and I think he knew.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Also, Vince really must hate Cheltenham...

Pennock: second in the league but sacked before the playoffs because Cheltenham won the league.

Cooper: 6th in the league and sacked because Cheltenham are top.

:lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Vince’s comments on it to RG:

https://twitter.com/dalevince/status/13 ... 56546?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Vince’s comments on it to RG:

https://twitter.com/dalevince/status/13 ... 56546?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cant argue with much of that to be fair
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Vince’s comments on it to RG:

“It’s historic for the EFL being the smallest club to get into it.”

Level up the money side and our promotion was probably more historic. Nothings historic when you throw millions of pounds at it.
Shade
Wonder how much we spent in promotion pushes both times getting into League 2, compared to their £10m plus...
drgm
The sense of entitlement at that club is incredible. Some of the replacement manager names being banded about on their forum are laughable.
He must have known he was on his way out. You don't let the managers contract run out if you want to keep him. He only had a month left anyway
asl
My favourite from their forum was Eddie Howard.

I take it they meant the Celtic-bound, ex-Bournemouth manager...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:My favourite from their forum was Eddie Howard.

I take it they meant the Celtic-bound, ex-Bournemouth manager...
Not sure there is much to choose between Celtic or FGR. Surely Howe will be waiting to see what Prem or Championship jobs pop up in the summer.
ctfc-fan
And SC gets a mention too...
HamTown
It's worth a flick through for the delusion, I've just seen Chris Wilder mentioned!
paperboy
Let's hope he doesn't go for Wade Elliot who was at FGR for a time.
Shade
Well, they have got form for poaching in recent years...
Shade
Just a thought; what a weekend - we win and go top with a game in hand, FGR sack Cooper after yet another defeat, and Grimsby are all but down and had a player sent off for headbutting his own teammate.
When you're hot, you're hot...remember these times when the lows come back :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:It's worth a flick through for the delusion, I've just seen Chris Wilder mentioned!
:lol:

And forget Wade going there. He knows he has a Premier League number 2 job waiting for him if he stays with Duff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wade goes for his own job in the future after a few years as a Prem number two, but again I suspect Championship or upper L1 at best.
Hubert Parry
They are now actually treating the Wilder suggestion seriously. It's hilarious. Delusions of grandeur or what!?

The appointment will be interesting. Dale Vince is one of the few Chairs who might be willing to take the groundbreaking step of appointing a woman.
little mo
Hubert Parry wrote:They are now actually treating the Wilder suggestion seriously. It's hilarious. Delusions of grandeur or what!?

The appointment will be interesting. Dale Vince is one of the few Chairs who might be willing to take the groundbreaking step of appointing a woman.
I see your point. That would get massive publicity everywhere,which is exactly what he is in it for.
HamTown
Hubert Parry wrote:They are now actually treating the Wilder suggestion seriously. It's hilarious. Delusions of grandeur or what!?

Give them a break, with Pochettino now at PSG they're looking at backup options. So will probably just settle with Allegri.
Chris FGR
I've heard Joachim Low's name mentioned, would be ground breaking for a league 2 club to appoint a world cup winning manager.

Or it might be Hope Powell.

Doubt we'll go for Duff though, so you lot can rest easy. ;)
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
HamTown wrote:It's worth a flick through for the delusion, I've just seen Chris Wilder mentioned!
:lol:

And forget Wade going there. He knows he has a Premier League number 2 job waiting for him if he stays with Duff. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wade goes for his own job in the future after a few years as a Prem number two, but again I suspect Championship or upper L1 at best.
I would imagine Wade would be our man to take over Duff when he eventually leaves.
Robin
Chris FGR wrote:I've heard Joachim Low's name mentioned, would be ground breaking for a league 2 club to appoint a world cup winning manager.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Benny Profane
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... le-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope they do; just because it's 'them' doesn't mean its not a good idea.

Duff's doing a tremendous job, but if he wasn't I wouldn't bat an eyelid over a female manager. I'd rather have a good female manager than, say, Paul Buckle.

On 2nd thoughts I'd rather have a wheelie-bin with a smiley face on than Buckle.........
ctfc-fan
More publicity stunts.

If Stale is at all serious about promotion and finally getting one of those naff stars on their shirts, he would recruit the best person for the job not just someone who ‘hasn’t been recruited before.’
Shade
FG PR FC
Horteng
Chris FGR wrote:I've heard Joachim Low's name mentioned, would be ground breaking for a league 2 club to appoint a world cup winning manager.

I think a more important observation is Duff wouldn't go for FGR :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben3
The most telling thing on their amazing forum (i think I'm addicted to it, it's hilarious and tragic in equal measure) is now they've got a thread praising vince, how wonderful a leader he is etc

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure as a man he's great and what he's done with Ecotricity is amazing. But can they not see that their club is not their club anymore, it's a publicity wing of a rich man's company? It's strange, I guess they're so happy to be in the league and promised so much in the future they choose to ignore it.

Female manager? Maybe for the game as a whole it's a good thing. But if I was a fan I wouldn't care about the good of the game, I'd want to win each week, and want the best person for that job (make or female). But vince clearly doesn't care about that, he wants publicity and the teams interests come a poor second. I'd hate that to be our owners philosophy
Si Robin
It's interesting what you say Ben, because that's always the impression I've had. However, when my sister worked for Ecotricity, her feelings were the complete opposite. That he was letting the business slide because he cared too much about FGR.

I don't know the ins and outs of the business, but she was made redundant a couple of years back due to some cutbacks, and she firmly believed the main reason the company was sliding was because Vince was concentrating so much on FGR that he completely took his eye off the ball.

She also used to say that Ecotricity employees were practically forced to go to home games - she used to have to go and my sister cannot stand football in the slightest. The fact she used to refer to going to games as "going to work" said a lot in my view.
horlickfanclub
By publicly expressing an intention to exclude white ,middle aged males from consideration for the coaching role Forest Green may receive numerous complaints of age and sex discrimination. Can they afford the compo?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:By publicly expressing an intention to exclude white ,middle aged males from consideration for the coaching role Forest Green may receive numerous complaints of age and sex discrimination. Can they afford the compo?
He hasn’t said that though has he.