Cooper sacked

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
If he does say that then we send him our CVs and then sue haha
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
asl wrote:My favourite from their forum was Eddie Howard.

I take it they meant the Celtic-bound, ex-Bournemouth manager...
Not sure there is much to choose between Celtic or FGR. Surely Howe will be waiting to see what Prem or Championship jobs pop up in the summer.
I hope your comparison between Septic and fgr was in jest or you are very ignorant of the game in Scotland.
everyman
everyman wrote:

Not sure there is much to choose between Celtic or FGR. Surely Howe will be waiting to see what Prem or Championship jobs pop up in the summer.
I hope your comparison between Septic and fgr was in jest or you are very ignorant of the game in Scotland.
I wouldn`t be surprised to read that you think S.Gerrard would be a possibility for fgr. manager. :idea:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:

Partly in jest, but some seriousness.

Unfortunately I get far too much exposure to the Scottish game. There is a lot of cross-border supporters who travel from Scotland to Newcastle games and from Newcastle to Scottish league games. At least a lack of extended family gatherings during the last year means I haven’t had my usual earful of latest Scottish football trials and tribulations from my wife’s cousins.

Maybe saying Celtic is akin to FGR is a bit harsh, but I would certainly say Celtic are no better than top L1 sides like Hull, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton etc.

Gerrard going from Celtic to the English Prem would be more to do with his name than the quality of the SPL. Like Ole ending up at Man U.

I just wish they let Celtic and Rangers into the EFL to end this debate once and for all. Or course the two clubs are massive enough that after several years of English football level investment they could get to the Prem and then the TV money would make them competitive.

Ignoring history, ignoring stadium size and fanbase, and ignoring what might be if they had EFL/EPL level so ending power and instead looking at the quality of the squads as they are right now, the two sides would be top of L1.
Shade
Maybe not let them into the EFL but 5 years in the League Cup should sort it out.
andgarod
Gerrard going from Celtic to the English Prem would be more to do with his name than the quality of the SPL. Like Ole ending up at Man U.

I see you show your level of understanding of Scottish football is a bit lacking

In your statement above you refer to S Gerrrad as leaving Celtic, that is strange because I thought he managed Rangers and while players may play for both clubs (think Mo Jo) I dont think there has been a manager who has done both

Perhaps a bit less pretense at knowing the Scottish game - just saying
Uppy
Rangers have got out of the group stages of the last two Europa leagues and Celtic did in 19/20 so I’d suggest saying they’re no better than a load of league one sides is probably baiting a little bit. Is the league itself good? Not particularly. But good players come out of it (and will again this summer).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:

I see you show your level of understanding of Scottish football is a bit lacking

In your statement above you refer to S Gerrrad as leaving Celtic, that is strange because I thought he managed Rangers and while players may play for both clubs (think Mo Jo) I dont think there has been a manager who has done both

Perhaps a bit less pretense at knowing the Scottish game - just saying
Oops, I knew he was Rangers, just a typo given the long post and writing on my phone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Uppy wrote:Rangers have got out of the group stages of the last two Europa leagues and Celtic did in 19/20 so I’d suggest saying they’re no better than a load of league one sides is probably baiting a little bit. Is the league itself good? Not particularly. But good players come out of it (and will again this summer).
That says more about the Europa League than it does Celtic and Rangers.

Celtic had a group with teams from better leagues than Rangers did and lost four out of six, shipping 19 goals...more than 3 a game.

In the last three years, how many players in the top six of the English Prem have come from the SPL compared to how many have come from Championship and L1?

And, in the same period, how many have left the SPL to join Championship and L1 clubs compared to how many have left for the Prem?
Uppy
Well you’ve changed your debate now from saying that Celtic wouldn’t be one of the best league one sides to saying that there are more players who have come from the 24 team championship into the top 6 of the EPL than there are from the Scottish Premiership. Greg Docherty couldn’t get near the Rangers team for example and starts every game for Hull.

You can say that the league isn’t very good (which it isn’t) without just making claims based on conversations you’ve heard between people at family events or other football matches you’ve attended.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Uppy wrote:Well you’ve changed your debate now from saying that Celtic wouldn’t be one of the best league one sides to saying that there are more players who have come from the 24 team championship into the top 6 of the EPL than there are from the Scottish Premiership. Greg Docherty couldn’t get near the Rangers team for example and starts every game for Hull.

You can say that the league isn’t very good (which it isn’t) without just making claims based on conversations you’ve heard between people at family events or other football matches you’ve attended.
Some two or three years after leaving Rangers he does well at Hull. Like Marley Watkins not getting in our team and then playing every week for Barnsley a few years later (after moving from Hereford to the SPL) or Keiffer Moore failing in lower league teams before suddenly doing well at Ipswich and Cardiff. Your point doesn’t prove much.

I am not saying the Old Firm are not massive clubs, because they are. That doesn’t mean they are any good.

Anyway, this is pointless. Until they have a chance to play in the EFL, it is impossible to prove whether they are, right now, L1 quality, Championship or Premier League.

Back on topic. FGR forum now talking about Tony Adams and Sol Campbell.
ctfc-fan
I hate to say it, as he’s a bloody nice bloke, but Tony Adams would not get them promotion.
Sprout Picker
ctfc-fan wrote:I hate to say it, as he’s a bloody nice bloke, but Tony Adams would not get them promotion.
Tony Adams is more likely to get them relegated.
asl
Vote for Tony Adams!
Shade
Vote for Tony. Heeeee's grrrrrrrrreat.

That would work better if he was linked to Gloucester, with them being the Tigers, obviously.
everyman
Uppy wrote:Rangers have got out of the group stages of the last two Europa leagues and Celtic did in 19/20 so I’d suggest saying they’re no better than a load of league one sides is probably baiting a little bit. Is the league itself good? Not particularly. But good players come out of it (and will again this summer).
i think a countries population has some relevance to it`s footballing expectation with less potential players to choose from one would expect fewer would reach the very top level.
Scotland 5m,England 54m,germany 83m,France 67m,Italy 60m,Spain 47m,Netherlands 17m,Belgium 12m. One outstanding exception must be Iceland 343 thousand who have an amazing record in internationals but their league can`t be of a good level.
longmover
Now the dust has settled on this, is having the U-18's manager the man in charge of the 1st team for a critical run in to secure the play-offs and then win the play-offs? Seems a bit nuts, unless they will have a 'manager' in charge when the play-offs come round.
Hubert Parry
They are an interesting lot up the hill. You have one half of the fanbase who still have the non league mentality of looking at former players who live in the area, and one half who are utterly, hopelessly deluded. This one is a classic:

"On reflection, Eddie Howe would be an ideal candidate if we are looking for someone to carry on our progress, guiding and building the playing side, in a medium to long term project, like he did down at Bournemouth. We would need to offer him a large salary, with big bonus incentives for achieving certain targets,whilst maintaining whole-club progress from grassroots to first-team. It would be an exciting vision, one that might well appeal to EH, and he could still be located in the south-west ( an important factor with families, educations and travel ). We would have to impress him with our goals, as well as seeing his, and come to a mutual agreement."

On reflection!?!? As if you were not previously sold on this completely unrealistic option. The rest of the paragraph is just hilariously pompous.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where’s the Tom Cat when you need him.
Chris FGR
Tbh I doubt many of our fans are expecting someone like Howe. Someone like Richie Wellens, John Askey, Steven Pressley or even Gary Johnson if we could persuade him to leave Torquay would go down well with most fans I'd think.

Vince has said we've had some interesting people apply, including some who've coached national teams around the world apparently, as well as some female applicants. Personally I'd go for a proven safe bet, rather then a publicity stunt or an unknown with supposedly new and progressive ideas/tactics. Those sorts of manager rarely excel in league 2.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Tbh I doubt many of our fans are expecting someone like Howe. Someone like Richie Wellens, John Askey, Steven Pressley or even Gary Johnson if we could persuade him to leave Torquay would go down well with most fans I'd think.

Vince has said we've had some interesting people apply, including some who've coached national teams around the world apparently, as well as some female applicants. Personally I'd go for a proven safe bet, rather then a publicity stunt or an unknown with supposedly new and progressive ideas/tactics. Those sorts of manager rarely excel in league 2.
By safe bet you mean a journeyman? I don’t see the obsession with appointing people who have a career of sackings.
Sprout Picker
Chris FGR wrote:Tbh I doubt many of our fans are expecting someone like Howe. Someone like Richie Wellens, John Askey, Steven Pressley or even Gary Johnson if we could persuade him to leave Torquay would go down well with most fans I'd think.

Joachim Löw it is then! ;)
asl
We got Bobby Gould, don't forget...
Si Robin
Gary Johnson also managed Latvia of course
longmover

Gary Johnson is well out of his depth in the modern 'league' game as we saw with us, non league is his level now. I can't see DV and GJ 'getting on' two very different characters, not just in football.
Chris FGR
Sprout Picker wrote: Joachim Löw it is then! ;)
Ha! Yep someone saw him at the new Aldi in Stroud apparently.

Seriously though, he probably means people who've managed Bermuda or the Cayman Islands or whatever, and would totally unsuitable for managing in league 2.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote: Joachim Löw it is then! ;)
Ha! Yep someone saw him at the new Aldi in Stroud apparently.

Seriously though, he probably means people who've managed Bermuda or the Cayman Islands or whatever, and would totally unsuitable for managing in league 2.
Why are they unsuitable? Might be a breath of fresh air compared to someone with 30 years experience of nothing more than mid table finishes and sackings which is most managers.

It is no surprise that the top three in L2 are all young and in their first league job. Duff is 43 and in his second full season as a manager. Bonner is 35 and in his first season. Evatt is 39 and in his first season in the League after two years in the National League.

They have a better understanding of the modern game, data, and technology both tactically and physically. And I think they enthuse the players much more too.

You should be looking for the next Duff or Bonner.
Chris FGR
Or maybe Mark Yates? Applied before and did a good job for you I think?

I agree we’ll probably go for someone new and ‘progressive’ never sure why that’s seen as the best option though, plenty of managers with recent league 2 experience out of work atm, who’s to say a Wellens or Askey wouldn’t do well?

Last time we appointed someone ‘progressive’ into their first job in management we got Dave Hockaday!
asl
Chris FGR wrote:Or maybe Mark Yates? Applied before and did a good job for you I think?
:roll:
shevates
Gary Jobnson and Martin Allen as his number 2
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Or maybe Mark Yates? Applied before and did a good job for you I think?

I agree we’ll probably go for someone new and ‘progressive’ never sure why that’s seen as the best option though, plenty of managers with recent league 2 experience out of work atm, who’s to say a Wellens or Askey wouldn’t do well?

Last time we appointed someone ‘progressive’ into their first job in management we got Dave Hockaday!
Yes, but was already 52 or 53 right? There is a reason he got to that age without ever managing.

Duff, Bonner, Evatt are 10-15 years younger and not long finished playing themselves so they know the modern game from a players’ perspective.
ctfc-fan
Paul Buckle is very good. He’d be great for you...
little mo
Aidy Boothroyd anyone. Allowed to leave England job a month early.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:Aidy Boothroyd anyone. Allowed to leave England job a month early.
For the same reason Cooper was let go a month early: past it and a failure.

Hopefully FGR give him the job :lol:
asl
Ooo...another high-profile manager has suddenly become available, I see... How long before the FGR forum links him with their job...?