Will Boyle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Attracting interest from current Championship club: http://bit.ly/OwlsKeenDefender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
Left footed CBs are all the rage at the moment so this comes as little surprise.

I don't think we could begrudge him a move to Sheffield Wednesday!
Shade
Closer to home, undoubtedly paying more wages...but would he swap that for a smaller club in the same division ? :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
His contract is until Summer 2022 so they would need to pay.

We have to consider a) they are struggling financially and will do so even more when relegated to L1 and b) due our cup money we are in a much better financial state than most similarly sized L1 and L2 clubs to us.

What will they offer us which makes it worthwhile? Better for Boyle to excel for us in L1 and then move to a Championship side like Huddersfield or Sheffield United.
Robin
If they come in with a realistic bid I cannot see us turning it down. Would clearly be a great move for Will and as much as we don't want to lose him I think we'd respect that enough to sell.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If they come in with a realistic bid I cannot see us turning it down. Would clearly be a great move for Will and as much as we don't want to lose him I think we'd respect that enough to sell.
What do you count as realistic?
Ben3
Well here we get into controversial waters. What will duff want if/when we'd go up? (And please, I'm not disrespecting any player, just giving my opinion on the big step up that awaits us).

I think Tozer and boyle would need to be replaced. Hussey, long, raglan would be fine, as would Blair. But Tozer and boyle get caught out in this league. We'd miss tozers throws so maybe a super quick lad alongside him and he'd be ok?

So I'd let boyle go if there was a fee involved (any fee).
HamTown
That certainly is controversial
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:If they come in with a realistic bid I cannot see us turning it down. Would clearly be a great move for Will and as much as we don't want to lose him I think we'd respect that enough to sell.
I'd be wildly speculating but hopeful of a fee in the region of £250,000 with a sell on and promotion clause.
drgm
Boyle Raglan Tozer. The best back line in league 2.
Not surprised by the interest in Boyle. Goal scoring centre halfs are precious.
Johnsons Red Army
Boyle would be a big loss. Hopefully he sticks around.
Shade
Tozer's only problem is complacency. Sometimes it seems so easy and the opposition so unthreatening that he falls asleep and passes it straight to the oppo. Sometimes he falls apart when things seem to be going wrong - trying to overcompensate I think Hubert pointed out a while back. When he's fully on it, he keeps Man City out for 82 minutes. He hasn't made any real mistakes that I can remember against top League 2 opposition - certainly no more than anyone else. He's part of a back line that have conceded just 62 goals in the last 76 league games. Not only that but he has marshalled the defence to clean sheets and big wins with Raglan and Boyle both out at the same time. Take away his long throws and we have about 13 or 14 goals, and quite a few points, fewer this season. I have no doubt that, ability-wise, Tozer is good enough for League 1.
Horteng
£10k and a pre season friendly :lol:
Fuller
Robin wrote:
I'd be wildly speculating but hopeful of a fee in the region of £250,000 with a sell on and promotion clause.
Most players have a release clause if club X or Y offer a certain amount that's in the players contract.
I was disappointed we only got the rumoured £100k for Ryan Broom, I thought he was worth £250k too.
Rather Boylo stayed, like I wish Ryan had stayed.
HamTown
If theres a position you'd want Duff to find a decent replacement for it would be CB, although the attacking threat would be very hard to match

Weren't Fleetwood rumoured to be interested a while back? Hopefully his Tranmere performance might get a couple more parties involved (as much as I'd like him to stay)
Robin
The fee I heard for Broom was over £150,000 but I doubt we will ever know for sure.
longmover
if he goes to Wednesday he will be looking for a new club within two seasons, they're a circus, the manager they have now will be gone if they don't have a good start to their impending league one season. One of those clubs that's doing its best to put people off football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Unless someone comes in with silly money (£1m) I don’t think we will lose any players Duff wants to keep.

Other clubs don’t have Duff and I believe all the players want to play for him and see the value of staying. Even if it is just for a year.

A good mid table or top half finish in L1 and the players will get bigger and better offers in Summer 2022 than they will in Summer 2021.

Promotion isn’t job done. It’s job started.
HamTown
No crowds for a year and you think we can play hard ball with transfers? I don't see it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:No crowds for a year and you think we can play hard ball with transfers? I don't see it
Erm, we are in a better position than most.

Our Cup income has pretty much covered our losses. On a proportional basis, pretty much every L1 and L2 club is worse off than us compared to their normal budget. And Sheff Wed are barely in existence.

So yes, I see it.
HamTown
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... up-4959383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From commercial director Paul Bence "We are still going to make a large loss, but the FA Cup income has made us more comfortable about where we are"

I don't think the cup run has "pretty much covered our losses"
ctfc-fan
HamTown wrote:https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... up-4959383

From commercial director Paul Bence "We are still going to make a large loss, but the FA Cup income has made us more comfortable about where we are"

Glad someone said it as I was going to. It’s been know we’re likely to lose something like £1m but the FA Cup was supposed to be something like £250k back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
HamTown wrote:https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... up-4959383

Glad someone said it as I was going to. It’s been know we’re likely to lose something like £1m but the FA Cup was supposed to be something like £250k back.
And the rest. JP reported our income from all threes cups was around £600k. Around £400k was just from Man City, according to Paul Bence: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... up-4959383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a more simple way of putting it:

If 30 similar clubs in L1 and L2 all make an initial £1m loss, but we are the only ones to recoup £600k, we are £600k better off than the other 29.
Si Robin
Whilst you make a good point about being £600k better off - we're still £400k down and are in absolutely no position to turn down reasonable offers for our players.
horlickfanclub
Spot on Si.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Assuming the clubs who want our players have enough money to make such an offer.

This suggests Wednesday will lose at £6m in income due to relegation: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... n-19891572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None of us know the ins and outs, but on face value I would say that buying clubs are going to have less money than normal, and there are many selling clubs much more over a barrel than we are.

We are in a position of relative financial strength compared to our immediate competitors, and it is relative strength which matters.
HamTown
I don't think relative strength to other clubs matters when the electric bill arrives
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:I don't think relative strength to other clubs matters when the electric bill arrives
Well by that logic, clubs with £600k less in the bank are going to bust long before us then.

Here is what Duff said when asked, according to JP. Pretty common sense..we can’t turn good money down, every player has a price, and we don’t need a fire sale.

We've not had any bids for any players. I am not aware of anything, but every player has a price. We are not in a position where we can turn money down anyway. Ryan Broom left because we got good money for him. The players we have, generally the longest they'll sign is a two-year deal. So you can't tie players down for a long time and I don't think I am being too controversial by saying most of the time when we get a proper bid, we are not under any sort of pressure and there is no fire sale here, I am not being told we have to get promoted for finances, or you have to sell him whether you get promoted or not.”

If we get a good offer then yes of course accept. If we get an offer we think is low, we are able to turn it down.
Robin
HamTown wrote:I don't think relative strength to other clubs matters when the electric bill arrives
I'm going to defend RCS here because I believe it firmly matters. Our biggest out going expense is the wage bill (I don't know what it is exactly but likely somewhere between a million and 1.5 million this season). If others are making much larger losses than us they likely will need to reduce wages meaning we are in a stronger position moving forward to pick up players and keep our own.
HamTown
If we get a good offer then yes of course accept. If we get an offer we think is low, we are able to turn it down.
This feels a bit of quiet back tracking from your earlier comment of
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Unless someone comes in with silly money (£1m) I don’t think we will lose any players Duff wants to keep.
Robin wrote:If others are making much larger losses than us they likely will need to reduce wages meaning we are in a stronger position moving forward to pick up players and keep our own.
My feeling is that if we just focus on keeping our finances in the black, long term we'll come out on top, and we have. Plenty of clubs are making big losses, living month to month and still (somehow) managing to put in big bids for players and have big salaries on their books so will likely attract players away from our shrewdly run club - and thats how we end up in a league alongside Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and so on...