Games next season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
So when the 21/22 season starts there will be no C19 rules and we will be back to 'normal' (lets say), lets also say we maybe in league one, fans have been starved of watching their teams for some time and will be itching to see their teams play, is this going to lead to away fans travelling to games and entering the home end?

'if' we are in league one, there are some big clubs with large away followings and lack of attending football and the general upturn in the nations vibe could mean 'trouble' at games if fans travel with no ticket to a sold out away end

Can we see an all ticket start to the season and increased police presences at matches?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hopefully an upturn in vibe and outlook means people are more likely to just want to enjoy the games rather than cause trouble.

But I guess I don’t know the mindset of a hooligan...maybe for a hooligan wanting to fight and smash things is something you do when in a good mood with stuff to look forward to, rather than when you are angry with grievances to air like normal people.

I am against the idea of vaccine passports or test results certificates but they are trialling them at some games. I hope they are not introduced.
Shade
The Yanks tend to smash stuff up when their team has just won, so you'd imagine a reasonably good mood. I know they're our simple cousins, but the missing chromosome crossed the sea from here in the first place so some are still here. Hooligans are gonna hooligan. I'm sure a lot have been waiting for a chance, and probably have been part of some of the "protests" that have taken place in the likes of Bristol.
Robin
This is an odd thread! How many league one teams will sell out our away end Sunderland, Ipswich, Sheff Wednesday for certain but other than local derbies I doubt the others would. Also presumably given that we may end this season we will likely see a big upsurge in demand from locals so average crowds around 4500 and few home seats being available at games is likely I'd imagine not sure how that equates to rioting/hooliganism but I doubt they are interlinked what so ever.
Shade
You would seriously hope that a) after the coverage we have had this season, b) that we would be back in L1 for the first time in 13 years, and c) barely anybody would have been to a live game in the last year and a half, that we would be seeing at least 4500+ at the start of the season. Especially if we end up going up as League 2 champions for the first time.
Horteng
Have you not been listening to MD? Win the next half...... Still 12 to go
Hubert Parry
Yes, I'm sure that is a good rule for the players. It would be a pretty boring forum if we could only focus on the next half.
bigdavejambo
am i the only person who thinks crowds might actually be DOWN to start of with? a lot of people will lack confidence of been in bigger crowds especially the vulnerable and elderly even if they have had their vaccines.
asl
I agree with bigdave. I cannot be alone in having gotten used to this lockdown to a point where the thought of standing in a crowd fills me with dread. I'm used to being out playing badminton two or more nights a week all year round - but now my club is making plans to restart on 17th May, I ask myself whether I can be arsed. Would I like to be able to go to pubs and restaurants? Sure I would. Have I coped without them? Yup. I've thankfully had my first jab and look forward to my second - but I'm not naive enough to think that this pandemic is all over once I've had it.

It's a cliché, but this is the new normal - and I don't think a rush back to the old is going to be terribly sensible.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am on the way home on the Metro after the first few pints in a pub for months.

Got my tickets for the Cheltenham cricket festival already and cannot wait to get in a footy ground.

I play an indoor sport in a regional league. Can’t wait for that to start either.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I am on the way home on the Metro after the first few pints in a pub for months.

Got my tickets for the Cheltenham cricket festival already and cannot wait to get in a footy ground.

I play an indoor sport in a regional league. Can’t wait for that to start either.
That is breaking the law

But I agree with others. A lot of people will not be rushing back to scenes of big crowds etc even when allowed
Robin
Understandable points raised about big crowds, should they open football grounds next week I would definitely agree but we are still months away from that. The Premier league will see crowds limited to 10,000 and then the Euros capped at 20,000 so realistically it will be August before proper crowds return at the earliest. So much can change between now and then either through public perception or a resurgence in the virus.

Season ticket sales will be interesting, realistically you'd hope for 1500 if we secure automatic promotion but I suspect a lot of people may be wary to make the financial commitment at this stage.
Shade
Obviously, my suggestion about crowds was based on vaccines working and restrictions ending sometime in the summer.

As someone who is very much an introvert, hates crowds (and people in general) and would much rather spend life at home with the significant other half with minimal social life, lockdown hasn't been too bad for me. But I can't wait to get back in the ground and hear the fans singing/moaning. As you have seen, the moment it's been even a little bit allowed (and even when not), people are crowding together. Because of work, I drove through town yesterday and it was pretty damned busy. Last week when the weather was good, I drove past Imperial Square and it was packed. People will be out and about and football stadiums will be as full as possible, if we're told it's as safe as it can be, I'm sure of it.