Cheltenham Town v MK Dons

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Agree with those words Benctfc & Longmover, and from what I have seen so far the standard of football is certainly way higher than in our two previous spells in League One.

Our players and management will have to learn fast but we have no better coach than Duffo to help us on our way, I bet he is relishing the challenge and just hope we can keep him for all of this season at least.

Credit also to Matt the groundsman, the pitch is looking absolutely superb, must be a joy to play football on that.
Shade
One thing to note is also that of our 6 games so far, we have played 3 teams that will probably be pushing for promotion (MK Dons, Burton, Wycombe) and taken 2 points from them, 1 team that SHOULD be up there (Ipswich) and beaten them, and drawn and lost to two teams that will be mid-table or lower (Crewe & Fleetwood). We should really have won both of those latter games based on the way the games played out, and they were both also away from home. There will be easier games in this division, against teams that aren't quite as fit. But we do need to take points off of them when they come around and not be drawn into defensive mistakes like we were at Fleetwood.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wycombe were Championship last season and got there due to fitness and tactics being better than overweight and unstructured teams like Sunderland (but their new owner is a stats geek so will be improving this). MK Dons have always had a more professional approach to fitness and preparation than most lower league teams.

But, with Duff we have a manager who in my view is still the best at this in L1. His experience of coaching at Burnley means he is two leagues above your average journeyman manager who has managed in L2 and L1 for 20 years but with no experience at the modern elite level.

At Burnley Duff was working with players who are training to be in the top 1% or less of humans when it comes to to fitness. He will be using approaches the old school lower league managers won’t even have heard of let alone know the importance of.

That’s why I don’t have any concern we will be in a relegation scrap.
HamTown
These are valid points but I do wonder whether we're still in a little honeymoon period and whether we'll be able to cling on to a point after 70 minutes of being dominated when 30+ games are on the board....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:These are valid points but I do wonder whether we're still in a little honeymoon period and whether we'll be able to cling on to a point after 70 minutes of being dominated when 30+ games are on the board....
Maybe not against the promotion sides, but relative to the other bottom half sides I expect us to get stronger and better as the season progresses.