Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFCfan99
https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2021/09/ ... nham-town/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what to make of this....can't tell how much is just tongue-in-cheek or whether it's actually as painfully patronising as it sounds!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2021/09/ ... nham-town/

Not sure what to make of this....can't tell how much is just tongue-in-cheek or whether it's actually as painfully patronising as it sounds!
Reminds me of writing sports reports for my university paper 15 or so years ago.
HamTown
Well at least country bumpkins is a different angle than the usual horse puns
Robin
It's clearly tongue in cheek guys don't think we should take any offence from that.
Ralph
I'll take it as a compliment. We played them off the park. Should have beat them 1-4 to be fair

I liked this quote

"What we did learn about “little old Cheltenham” was that their “game management” was as cynical as any you’ll find anywhere in the big city. They wasted time while wasting time, if you catch the drift."

We just did what any team would do in that situation

i liked this line too "crafty connivings of Duff’s time bandits"...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:I'll take it as a compliment. We played them off the park. Should have beat them 1-4 to be fair

I liked this quote

"What we did learn about “little old Cheltenham” was that their “game management” was as cynical as any you’ll find anywhere in the big city. They wasted time while wasting time, if you catch the drift."

Yup, some great lines in there. A fun read and pokes as much fun as the hysterical Charlton idiots as it does Cheltenham
longmover
13k home fans for Charlton :shock: thats pretty bad
joes dad
Yes considering their average when last in Premier League was 26k
But very good when last in Championship was 14.5k
longmover
joes dad wrote:Yes considering their average when last in Premier League was 26k
Always amazes me that as soon as a team drops from the prem (then champ) people just don't attend, not in the prem so that's it for them. But then go back if/when they get into to the prem having probably had not contact or interest in the club in the meantime.
HamTown
longmover wrote:
joes dad wrote:Yes considering their average when last in Premier League was 26k
Always amazes me that as soon as a team drops from the prem (then champ) people just don't attend, not in the prem so that's it for them. But then go back if/when they get into to the prem having probably had not contact or interest in the club in the meantime.
See your point but I wonder what the cost of a ticket was for Charlton vs Man Utd in the premiership opposed to Charlton vs Cheltenham Town this season
Robin
Same happened to us and others when dropping out the football league, our initial crowds were under 3000 that rarely happens in twenty years of football league.
Shade
Ralph wrote: We just did what any team would do in that situation
Genuine complaint from what I noticed on Saturday: as you say, every team does it, and God knows how many times it's happened at WR by opposition sides. Flinders did take the p!## a couple of times but the thing that gets me is when a goalkeeper is getting the hurry up from the ref because the fans are jeering and yet the goal kick/free kick is genuinely taking the same length as it was in the 10th minute. Why should a team have to suddenly hurry up because they're winning and there's less of the game left?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
Bear in mind Charlton are in London where tourists add a lot to the gate.

In my years following Fulham the number of Northern Europeans, Americans, Australians, Japanese and Chinese etc at games was huge. Some live and work in London, others students, some just on holiday. But they come to watch Premier League games not to support Fulham. I expect this year they are at whatever other London grounds tickets can be for for…
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
longmover wrote:
Bear in mind Charlton are in London where tourists add a lot to the gate.

In my years following Fulham the number of Northern Europeans, Americans, Australians, Japanese and Chinese etc at games was huge. Some live and work in London, others students, some just on holiday. But they come to watch Premier League games not to support Fulham. I expect this year they are at whatever other London grounds tickets can be for for…
I do recall watching Man U with Best,Law and Charlton one game here at The cottage; some strange pursuit happening on the river at the same time, two different blues rowing away madly. A swift glance, wondering why anyone so stupid would do that on that rat infested river and rapidly back to the footy! Still have the programme too!
Robin
I went up to Anfield a few years back and the place was packed with tourists, it's definitely a thing in the premier league especially at Man Utd and Liverpool.
Red Duke
Tourists at games are very easy to spot. They wear those naff half & half scarfs that have the names and the colours of the two teams playing.
everyman
Ralph wrote:I'll take it as a compliment. We played them off the park. Should have beat them 1-4 to be fair

I liked this quote

Great to see our players becoming more treet-wise,Wycombe showed our naivety in that dept. We are gowing up fast !