Newport County (when you let spending get out of hand)

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

swellingsdownbelow
Chairman and undoubtedly major funding source, resigns with immediate effect and not a taker in sight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33180126
Robin
I was tipping Newport for the drop when the chairman pulled out seems inevitable to me they will drop back down soon enough unless they can get the right board in place. That said smaller clubs continue to defy the odds
little mo
Robin wrote:I was tipping Newport for the drop when the chairman pulled out seems inevitable to me they will drop back down soon enough unless they can get the right board in place. That said smaller clubs continue to defy the odds
Butcher as manager as well. They are doomed. :) :)
Nesty
Wrong section
asl
Quite right. Now moved.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If I won £45 million on the lottery I'd put £10 million in an income bond or similar, then there would be a steady stream of £200,000 interest a year donated to CTFC without the capital ever being eroded.
London Exile
If I had that sort of money I'd build a new main stand, improve the PRE and create a training facility with 3G pitch. Hopefully that would help generate funds for the playing side.

I think Newport will struggle, Butcher doesn't seem to have been a huge success anywhere bar Inverness. I think Morecambe, Yeovil and Dagenham might be looking over their shoulders too. At the other end I think Pompey will fill one of the automatic promotion places
Ralph
Ok i'll bite :D
if they get real problems and can't compete and get kicked out the league, will we take their place?

Yeah i know, clutching at a really small straw
swellingsdownbelow
Can't see events developing that quickly Ralph.

Reading their fans opinions on their 'Exile' site, as expected, there are some very divided views. If you dismiss the extremes at either end of the spectrum, I think there is little doubt they will start the season, but i can't see them being that competitive, without some big injection of funds. (and that seem's unlikely).

The departing chairman has been railroading the club with other directors giving little if anything back, just enjoying the free ride.

Scalding (the leaving chairman), appears to have little if no business acumen and, whilst putting big bucks into the pot, has allowed his other directors to develop grand plans for the club, spend his money freely, which he is now realising is denuding his cash pot beyond his desires, and very quickly. It's suggested he put in £1.3 million last season and may have still been shoring up wage shortfalls of up to £40,000 a month.

Don't blame him really. He was a fan who won on the Euro Millions and thought he could change the world (well, Newport County's world at least).

As a prequel to this weeks events at the club, Newport appointed a full time Media manager a week or so ago. He was at hereford united last season. However, two or three days into his new role he clearly sussed out the rising problems on the horizon, quit, and has got his old job back at Hereford.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hadn't they just signed J-Lew from Grimsby?
little mo
little mo wrote:
Robin wrote:I was tipping Newport for the drop when the chairman pulled out seems inevitable to me they will drop back down soon enough unless they can get the right board in place. That said smaller clubs continue to defy the odds
Butcher as manager as well. They are doomed. :) :)
Butcher, a superb player, but a c!#p manager, but because of his name some other idiot will give him a job.
leohoenig
Looks like they are becoming a supporters' owned side
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34343630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Might well be passing them on the way up.
Shade
Ok, who had 1st November in the Terry Butcher sacking sweepstake? I think even 1st October was a bit sooner than expected.
little mo
Shade wrote:Ok, who had 1st November in the Terry Butcher sacking sweepstake? I think even 1st October was a bit sooner than expected.
I remember saying on another thread ( but cannot find it) he is one of the worst managers ever and would be sacked by October. Someone said that was a bit harsh. :roll:
London Exile
Replaced by John Sheridan today.

I can't see Butcher getting another managerial job in the UK again.