Wembley Pitch and NFL

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
Anyone else watching the Spurs v Man City game? The pitch is a disgrace, all double marked with NFL lines and logos and not the best quality turf now that the other game has been played on it.

Thank God that the sale has been postponed, it should be rejected full stop in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Would be better maintained under Khan and he wouldn’t let the likes of Spurs play on it - they are doing to Wembley pitch what Gloucester did to ours.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Would be better maintained under Khan and he wouldn’t let the likes of Spurs play on it - they are doing to Wembley pitch what Gloucester did to ours.
If only that were true. It’s the NFL that’s ruined the pitch. It should stay in America.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Would be better maintained under Khan and he wouldn’t let the likes of Spurs play on it - they are doing to Wembley pitch what Gloucester did to ours.
If only that were true. It’s the NFL that’s ruined the pitch. It should stay in America.
The NFL doesn’t play there every two weeks. Wembley pitch is not designed to have Premier League football played on it every two weeks.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:
The NFL doesn’t play there every two weeks. Wembley pitch is not designed to have Premier League football played on it every two weeks.
Rubbish. It’s first and foremost a football pitch. NFL digs the pitch up same as rugby does and as for all the markings, that’s got to be slightly off putting for the players.

So are you saying the same for Whaddon Road then? Considering the difference in budgets for the playing surface I’m sure Wembley is much better off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Whaddon Road is a club ground so is designed to be used for 23 games minimum. The drainage, soil structure, grass used, etc will be designed for that level of use.

Wembley is a national stadium, meant to withstand a few internationals and showcase football games, as well as other sports, concerts and events. Most years they replace the pitch before the FA Cup final for example. The whole set up is not designed for regular League football fixtures.

Have a read of this - usually the paint comes off the grass easily, but Anthony Joshua’s recent fight had damaged the grass making that harder: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... n-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Events like the AJ fight and NFL are booked way in advance. When they were arranged Spurs were meant to be in their own stadium. Spurs’ own failure to get their ground finished is why they are suffering from having to fit into the schedule of events at Wembley, using the pitch when it was planned not to be used.

Spurs should be grateful they were allowed to extend their use of the national stadium and weren’t turfed out to MK or Peterborough. No obligation for the FA to pander to them.

The FA have to use Wembley like this to clear their debt. Selling was another way to clear the debt. Take your pick which method of debt clearance you prefer.
ctfc-fan
So you’re telling me that the pitch hasn’t been planned for Spurs playing on it week in week out? That would be a pretty poor show and I’m sure it’s not the case.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:So you’re telling me that the pitch hasn’t been planned for Spurs playing on it week in week out? That would be a pretty poor show and I’m sure it’s not the case.
Well Spurs were only meant to play a couple of games. The problem with their new ground only came to light about a week or two before it was due to open. So yes, I think it is likely that the whole spring and summer scheduled for preparing the pitch and getting events in the diary was not made with Spurs in mind.

It was only a couple of days ago they announced they won’t move in to new ground until January - before that they had said October...
Shade
It basically had a c!#p rugby game played on it on Sunday, and a football match on Monday. Any pitch in the country would be rubbish for football the day after a bunch of heavily clad morons wearing studs threw themselves around and had massive cuddles on it the day before.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting article on Spurs and Poch more generally from Ronay, though deliberately less funny than his usual stuff:

“Overrun on White Hart Lane has begun to affect an overachieving manager who may tire of austerity”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... -hart-lane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£1billion is the cost of the stadium (currently).